Chevy SSR Forum banner

Loud clicking noise from inside dash.

21K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  William Butler 
#1 ·
There is an extremely loud clicking noise coming from somewhere inside the dash on the passanger side. The weird thing is when I turn on the ac fan, it stops. When I turn the fan off, it starts. Anyone have this issue before? Its driving me nuts!!!:banghead

#5 ·
Seem to remember that Dictator had the problem &

it turned out to be leaves (as with Antique).
He also came up with an easy fix to prevent this happening in the future.
May want to contact him for the 'How to'
Believe he took a bunch of photos as it was a pain to get at & remove the squirrel cage

#6 ·
Other than being in a spot that makes it hard on your back to look up it is pretty easy to pull. It took me about a half hour the first time but knowing where everything is would make it about a 15 miniute job to drop it again. I used dictators instructions.

#14 · (Edited)
Crap!~

I was giving the girl a Sponge Bath so I started taking the valance apart. After that I took out the glove box and removed the blower motor with no problem. The blower came out with ease, but that's not it... I turned on the accessory power and I still hear the popping noise inside the AC unit. CRAP!~ If I leave the blower on it doesn't make any noise. When I turn it off the blower popping starts. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:mad2:
I'm only at 46K WTH?

#15 ·
I was giving the girl a Sponge Bath so I started taking the valance apart. After that I took out the glove box and removed the blower motor with no problem. The blower came out with ease, but that's not it... I turned on the accessory power and I still hear the popping noise inside the AC unit. CRAP!~ If I leave the blower on it doesn't make any noise. When I turn it off the blower popping starts. ANY SUGGESTIONS?:mad2:
I'm only at 46K WTH?
There is a flapper valve actuator in there somewher. Maybe it is stuck or something.

#16 ·
My "R" had the noise you describe. It turned out to be a stripped actuator for the fresh air door and required major underdash surgery. Mine sounded more like a rythmic clicking noise and if I remember right, the noise stopped when I switched off the recirc mode.

#19 ·
Can anyone show me some pictures where it's located? I will try to research what it looks like, but since I still have everything apart I figured I would try to fix it myself.:mad2:
I swapped mine out as well, these part numbers are well known to break often. If you follow the bottom of the dash along the passenger kick panel you should see the large (4x6 inch) square air inlet housing for the AC/blower unit. Just to the right of that inlet you will see a module with a connector near the top of it. That is the acuator motor for the door, it opens and closes the flapper door for fresh and recirculate modes. What happens is that there are 2 plastic gears in there and one of the teeth break off. When the tooth breaks the motor never sees a closed position and continues to try. The snapping noice is the motor gears popping on the bad tooth.

I took mine apart and thoguht about just moving the gears 180 degrees but found a replacement at a decent price so just swapped it out. There are 2 bolts, forget what size but for some reason 8.5 mm sound correct. Very tight working area, jut go slow as to not drop anything and you should be good.

#31 ·
Thanks, much appreciated.

I dont think I have leaves in the fan. I think.

It's the actuator that keeps trying to open the fresh air door. It sounds like ticka ticka ticka, trying to open it all the time. I'm sure the tooth on the gear is broken. It just keeps trying.

So where would that be?

#32 ·
I too had a clicking noise in my dash when the a/c was on. After cleaning out the fan motor it was still there. Turned out to be a loose vent on the dash. Push it a little and it will stop for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.