Chevy SSR Forum banner

original tires

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  06-SSR 
#1 ·
Have an original set of tires from a 2005, still has the nubbins in the inside., had only 5,580 miles , look new, no uneven tread wear, no repairs or punctures. Perfect for someone wanting a concours restoration. Make offer.

#3 ·
don't know. I don't recommend these tires for anything but carshow concours just to be correct. Any tire over 7 years old needs to be replaced. I replaced these 4 with Continental Cross Contact UHP, they ride nice and not noisy, sill hear the exhaust. If no one shows any interest I will junk them.

#5 ·
I find it strange. In 1959 tires on my new Ford lasted about 13,000 miles and were worn out. However they could be re-capped and used again. Almost everyone had [re-capped] snow tires for winter? Most 18 wheeler have used re-capped tires on them? They run millions of miles? Some tires made today are rated at 80,000 miles but we are supposed to throw them away at the end of 5 years. I say keep an eye on your tires and stay near the speed limits.

If I were near you, you would be throwing your tires in the back of my truck?

Birdmans

#6 ·
Not the same tires you old guys used to have so many improvements that they don't last as long (is that really an improvement I don't know). Not made out of the same material so now they rot from inside out.mmne had 19,000 and the tire shop I go to said I bet they are all cracked on inside working its way out and sure enough they were . Mine were12 years old

#7 ·
Not the same tires you old guys used to have so many improvements that they don't last as long (is that really an improvement I don't know). Not made out of the same material so now they rot from inside out.mine had 19,000 and the tire shop I go to said I bet they are all cracked on inside working its way out and sure enough they were . Mine were12 years old
That's what I found out when I tried to get them to re-tread my RSA's.

#21 ·
I decided that it is TOO risky to have anyone mount these tires, so they are now in the reprocessing tire plant, I would feel responsible. Appreciate everyone interest and opinion. Perhaps the MODERATOR can pull this thread, no use taking up space.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.