Chevy SSR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2014 Maggie Valley Rally Show & Shine:

11K views 68 replies 45 participants last post by  SWT RYD 
#1 · (Edited)
Maggie Valley Rally Attendees:

This is the thread for the planned Show & Shine competition at this year's rally on Saturday, May 17, 2014. (See list of contestants below.)

Through the efforts of Danny and Gina, we have a new venue for the show this year. The show will be held at Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick in Waynesville, NC. Some of you may remember that we held our show at that location back in 2009, when it was under different ownership.

I’ve spoken to the management at the dealership and they are very excited about hosting our show and helping us turn this into a big event. They plan to have food catered in and a live band for entertainment as well. They also plan to give out a dealership’s choice award at the end of the show.

In my discussions with them, we have agreed on the following time schedule for the event:

1. Registration: 10 am – 12 pm
2. End of show and Award Presentation: 3 pm

With that said, we will still have our basic Show & Shine format, where the fanatics, both pilot and co-pilot, can vote on the trucks. We encourage all of the other fanatics, not in the contest, to participate in the voting as well.

This year I plan to have the following award categories, with the awards to be presented later at our banquet:

1. Top 10 Modified
2. Top 10 Original
3. Best of Show

Everyone in the competition will be asked to have both their hood and their cargo lid open for display. For those new to the rally, there is no entry/registration fee.

To compete in the Original category, you only have to show up with basically a stock, clean SSR. To be still considered "Original", I will permit up to 3 minor "cosmetic" type mod's. Superchargers, custom wheels, custom paint, custom graphics, front spoilers, rear spoilers, custom hoods, and custom running boards are some examples of what are not considered as minor mod's, and thus would put your SSR in the "Modified" category. To assist those who are voting, each contestant's ID sheet will clearly indicate which category that SSR is being considered for. The “Best of Show” will be voted on as well, and may be considered either "Modified" or "Original".

I'm starting a list in this first post shown at the bottom. So if you would like to put your SSR in this year's Show & Shine, please reply to this thread and indicate the category, "Modified" or "Original". If you are uncertain and have any questions about your SSR and the categories, feel free send me a PM.

We realize that the scheduled hours for the Show & Shine this year will result in a more lengthy event than what we’ve done in the past. However, with the gracious hospitality and for what all that’s being planned for our Show & Shine this year, Gina & Danny and I encourage all the fanatics to attend and support the event. There still will be plenty of time between the end of the show and the banquet. I know that we have several Show & Shine “veterans”, many who have won awards in our past shows, and who will be attending the rally again this year. Please don’t let that deter you from being in the competition this year. We certainly want to have the best of the best on display at the dealership.

Lastly, here are directions to Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick (less than 10 miles from our motels):

1. From the motels, proceed on Hwy. 19 (Soco Road) East.
2. Take Hwy. 276 South.
3. Take Hwy. 74/23 South.
4. Take Hyatt Creek Road (Rt. 1164 West).
5. Dealership is on the right.

Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick
285 Hyatt Creek Road
Waynesville, NC 28786
828-452-2841

2014 Maggie Valley Rally Show & Shine - List of Contestants:

"Modified" Category
1. badblackssr
2. killerbee
3. SSRDSTRII
4. RDSTR42
5. Focks
6. GGJOSSR
7. Aqua2005
8. downshifter
9. 32Revolver
10. Yellow Flame
11. Tims Toy
12. Marty
13. SSRChief
14. Flying Dog
15. lloger
16. grandma
17. BudHorse
18. reggiessrbcool
19. 6.0TOGO
20. tater
21. bcordray
22. Dragon2U

"Original" Category
1. Gina
2. ssroe
3. caperic
4. cj071170
5. bad frog
6. 6sp Tweety Bird
7. THGRAPE
8. Sailing
9. ED in FL
10. Charlie(R)
11. Tarheel
12. sendit2al
13. Michaelekiser

All right Fanatics, let's start signing up!!!!! :yesnod

See less See more
#34 ·
Hey there everyone, I wanted to let you know I saw Alex this past weekend at a car show at Timken Bearing in Gaffney SC. We were talking about some different things- he said the trophies are in and he has to just go pick them up.. He's excited and I'm excited. Anyone with an SSR is invited to particpate, so come and sign up- let's have some fun.....

#40 ·
Alex showed me pics of the trophies he again bought out of his own pocket money and they are fantastic.

Better than that though, this event is really more of a gathering and hang out session for everyone to talk "R" and show a few locals what the fun is all about. The dealership has some really exciting plans for the attendees. Please do not think that this is just a "show off" competition, it is much more than that. Many people have put a lot of effort into this to make it a fun event for all. Even if you do not dust off your truck or wipe off the bugs I think you should attend and enjoy the fellowship and fun that is sure to be had.

I hope Alex chimes in with some additional details about the event but it is something I think everyone will enjoy.

#36 ·
Alex thanks for doing this again. Another few years and you should be able to do it in your sleep...lol...:cheers

Am I reading that a rear spoiler on a otherwise stock SSR places it in the Modified Class?

What about changes to the engine filler caps or air box?

#37 ·
After re-reading Alex's first post I'll answer my own question. One of ours with a rear spoiler is not Stock. After all, it didn't come from the factory that way (even though it should have), but the biggest factor is we like the way it looks with a spoiler...:glol Thats the beauty of our little trucks and us the owners. We all like them just a little diffferent which makes us a unique and special group known as SSRFANITICS.

Kim and I will enter one, just not sure which one we will drive.

Alex, Thanks again for all your efforts year after year with the first 6 or 7 being just a little wet...:lol

#42 ·
More Info. on Our Show & Shine:

Everyone,

I've attached a flyer that Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick has been distributing locally about our Show and Shine on Saturday, May 17. They're very excited about hosting the show for the SSR Fanatics this year, and they're going out of their way to turn this into a real local "Event". Please note that the registration time for the competition has been changed from 10 am - 12 pm.

We encourage everyone to attend, as I see this now as a great opportunity for all of us to hang out together with our SSRs, as one big group, and at an event that just happens to have a car show competition as as part of the agenda. So, even if you're not going to be in the competiton, please come and enjoy the live entertainment, food, and participate in voting on the SSRs.

I'd also like to make a comment of the "Modified" category for our show, as I have received several questions from fanatics. The "Modified" category DOES NOT necessarily mean that we will be voting on the 10 most modified trucks....not at all. Modifications in general are personal expression, and some folks like many mod's. while others may not care for what they might consider to be an overly modified truck. It's all in personal taste, and what appeals to you. So you all will be voting on what YOU like and think looks good. It's that simple.

I've attached a photo of the awards that we will be presenting at our banquet, Saturday evening. I think that they are the nicest ones that we've ever had at our Show & Shines. The "Top 10" awards are 9" tall and the "Best of Show" award is 11-1/2" tall. The "Longest Distance" award, while not shown, is the same style/size as the Top 10 awards.

I've also attached a copies of the contestant ID and voting sheets that we will be using for the show.

It's getting close, folks!:banana

Alex

Attachments

#43 ·
After reviewing the category, I must move to the Modified. Over the weekend I installed the K&N Air Intake System. Thanks, Bill

PS.....It is my opinion that every SSR in MV should be in this show to demonstrate our gratitude and appreciation to Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick for their tremendous effort on our behalf. To Gina, Meg, Alex, & [others I am missing here], WOW, what a TEAM. This is a brand-new venture for me. Only been a spectator at a few car shows in Indy. I can only imagine the tremendous amount of work by a large number of people to make this event the best it can be. I sincerely appreciate every minute from everyone person involved. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

#46 ·
Show & Shine:

Everyone,

Please keep in mind that you do not have to be in the competition to attend the event. The idea behind the early sign up lists for the 2 categories was merely for me to get a feel for the level of interest in the show, and to determine how many awards that made sense to get ordered. No doubt, prior to the event, I will be canvasing the 2 parking lots in hopes of recruiting as many as I can to either be in the competition or to merely take part in the event.

Everytime I talk with Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick, I'm asked how many do I think will show up. I keep telling them to plan for up to 80 spots for our SSRs. Let's take the Waynesville dealership by storm, and blow 'em away with our show of force. :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

#53 ·
Results from 2014 Show & Shine Competition:

Everyone,

Well, I believe that a good time was had by all at this year’s Show & Shine event on Saturday at Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick. It could have been a bit warmer, and a bit less windy…..but who can complain.....no rain!

Below is a listing of the results from the competition for the awards that were presented at the banquet Saturday evening:

Waynesville Dealership’s “Best Modified” Award:
“RDSTR42” (Rope & Tam)

Waynesville Dealership’s “Best Original” Award:
“KrazyEd” (Erik)

Fanatics Voting for “Top 10 Modified” (no particular order):
1. “Dragon2U” (Mike)
2. “BudHorse” (Bud)
3. “Yellow Flame” (Bill & Lisa)
4. “SSRDSTRII” (Rich & Deb)
5. “tater” (Woody & Sharon)
6. “grandma” (Arthur & Ellen)
7. “GGJOSSR” (Greg & Jo)
8. “lloger” (Lloyd & Gerry)
9. “SSRFather” (Pete & Linda)
10. “Focks” (Michael)

Fanatics Voting for “Top 10 Original” (no particular order):
1. “TarHeel” (Andy & Pat)
2. “Michaelekiser” (Michael)
3. “sendit2al” (Al & Sonya)
4. “Gina” (Gina & Danny)
5. “Silver Blur” (Rusty & Jolie)
6. “Ed in FL” (Ed & Marianne)
7. “ssroe” (Michael & Linda)
8. “THGRAPE” (John))
9. “CJ071170” (Chuck & Jodie)
10. “CaptEric” (Eric)

Fanatics Voting for “Best of Show”:
“badblackssr” (Howard)

"Longest Distance Award":
"lloger / Bondo Princess" (Lloyd & Gerry)

We had a total of 51 SSRs entered in the competition, with 29 in "Modified" and 22 in "Original". Plus, we had another 15 or so SSRs present, taking in the event and participating in the voting.

A BIG thanks again to all the fanatics for their show of support by participating and attending the event. The folks at Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick were extremely pleased with the turnout, and the way everything went. So much so, that they were already talking with me about next year.

Alex

#54 ·
The weather may have been a little cool and windy but the competition was hot! I would like to say thanks for everyones votes and to Alex for the time, effort, and funding to make this event very special and memorable. The trophies :trophy: were outstanding, and yes, I am going to work on getting it lit up with blue LEDs :D

A great turnout, lots of great mingling and bling oogling. Of course seeing all the nice stock rides was great too, seeing them "wrapper fresh" is a pleasant change. Please extend my thanks to the Waynsville Chevrolet dealership for their time and generosity for hosting this event as well.

:party

#56 ·
Let's Thank Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick:

Everyone,

Believe me, I thanked the folks at the dealership several times Saturday for hosting our show & shine this year. IMO they helped it be the best one that we've ever had at the rally.

Fred Waring is the gentleman at Waynesville Chevrolet/Buick that was in charge of organizing things at their end. It would be a nice gesture from us fanantics that attended to send Fred a short email, expressing our appreciation for them hosting our event.

Fred's email at the dealership is: fred.waring@waynesvilleauto.com.

Thanks again for our VERY strong showing on Saturday. That was impressive!

Alex

#58 ·
Alex and everyone who made my first show a real cool experience, thank you thank you thank you! Being the newbie I tried to be a sponge. SSR Fanatics are the most caring and giving group I have ever been around. I am looking forward to a long career with you guys! Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.