Chevy SSR Forum banner

need travel advise to graand tetons

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dave rasmussen 
#1 · (Edited)
We are traveling from Wis. to Jackson Hole from Sept 18-26. We plan to take the :yellow: on this trip. My concern is whether we should expect snow while there. We are spending 2 days (9/21-22) in Jackson and would like to drive up to Jackson Lake and maybe as far as Yellowstone on a day trip from Jackson. We can take my 4x4 but really want to take :yellow:. Are there any fanatics in that area that can advise me? I don't need to go to the top of any mountains or take back trails, but would like to not get stuck not being able to see enough sites to have made the trip. Any feedback would be appreciated. We will be coming from Deadwood after having spent two days there, and will drop down to Denver when we leave Jackson.Thanks, SSR2b

#2 ·
You might want to take a look at my thread from 2011 "On The Road to Flagstaff & home" Start Here which is Page 7 post 186 and follow through to about post 203. You might find some interesting things from Mt Rushmore on to Utah and all those parks.

#4 ·
We travel close to there every fall when we trek to AZ thru Montana & Idaho, very close to where you are going to. You COULD run in to snow, however, it usually melts when it hits the road. My advice, if you encounter snow, bunker down at the closest town until it blows over!

#5 ·
Many years ago Wyoming was home. Late September can be a gamble with snowy weather especially in the western part of the state. Weather changes quickly. I recall fairly frequent stories of people getting snow bound despite only hours before enjoying clear, sunny weather. I worked in many different areas in the middle and northern Rocky Mountains over the years and can say snowy weather is possible any month of the year.

#8 ·
You could see snow.
My brother & I were traveling from Peoria to Boise, ID in mid September 2001 and got caught in a snowstorm in Wyoming that shut down I-80 for 2 days. We got through just before they shut down the interstate. So its possible to get snow in September.
Be safe & have fun!

#12 ·
Should have given us a holler. We live in Sturgis South Dakota near Mount Rushmore. I see you are in Wisconsin. I was born and raised in Granville Wisconsin. Small world.

#13 ·
Actually we are in Nebraska. We stayed in Hill City with a friend. We had planned on staying two nights, but hit a deer the first day on the way and had to return home and take the trip with the Silverado. Not as planned, but had planned the trip for a long time.

We will next time and maybe cruise a little together.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.