Chevy SSR Forum banner

Any cammed info?

8K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  spook 
#1 ·
I'm about to cam my 04 ssr I already have kooks headers & k&n intake. The cam I'm about to install is a 224R .600 114

#2 ·
Need a little more info on the camshaft - specifically the timing @ .050" valve lift and the intake closing point, if available. You have to be very careful in the selection of a 5.3 cam, especially if you intend to retain the stock torque converter. The 5.3 is a low compression engine and it's easy to kill the cylinder pressure and consequently hurt the low end performance.

#8 ·
That cam has a similar intake lobe to the cam I'm currently running, but I do run a 1.8 ratio rocker on mine, which changes the events somewhat. Also, mine is a stick and an LS2, so it's a little hard to compare the combos. I'm sure yours will seem a little lazy until you change converters, but should be OK after that change. Make sure to upgrade all the valve train, especially the springs. Good Luck!

#19 · (Edited)
Most run the factory rockers with upgraded trunions. Personally, I use Crane full roller rockers, along with the adjustable studs that come in the kit. That setup allows for setting lifter preload exactly where you want it. The Crane rockers do fit under stock valve covers, too.

#25 ·
Have you tried EnglandGreen Corp? They seem to have a good reputation with the Corvette crowd - 281 464 2800.

#30 ·
Daniel I'll chime in a little here. Before I put a 427 in my 04 SSR I took the 5.3 and and put the Zo6 cam in it with LS6 heads. Lots of other little stuff with 1:85 roller rockers etc. I made a little over 100 hp from the stock numbers as I recall. I then put in 4:56 rear gears and had Greg Ducato bullet proof my tranny. It was an awesome little truck after that. But you know how speed is so 120 shot of nitrous in the trunk and the truck was a beast. Rarely used the nitrous...just didn't need it...plus kind a scary. I started the 427 build about 2 years ago and I'm not sure why but just wanted to do it. 630hp. The original 5.3 tuned just fine with the stock injectors and the stock computer. The one thing I really liked about it over the 427 was that I could run regular gas on long trips. Of course with nitrous armed I always had high test.

#31 ·
yeah I'm really gonna push this 5.3 to its limit but in a safe way lol and how did the heads change work out for you I just feel like the stock heads are killin me and I've been lookin thru the Holley ls mid rise intake but it seems that i might need to change the hood........does anybody know where to get custom Cowl hoods for the ssr carbon fiber or fiber glass

#34 ·
The stock 5.3 heads flowed about the same as the early LS1 heads. Big difference in the z06 heads...don't have the numbers but at the time that was the way to go. No problems at all with the changeover...heads or cam. Was approaching 400 rear wheel HP without the nitrous then I switched to 427. You can make some very good power with the 5.3 rather easily and somewhat cheaply.

#38 · (Edited)
Daniel: I ported the TB and the z06 heads, 1:85 roller rockers, z06 (2002 I think) cam, double row timing chain, opened up to a free flowing and sealed air cleaner with green filter, kooks headers, dual shotgun freeflow exhaust, greg ducato built tranny, 2800 stall, 4:56 gears, synthetic oils in everything, 17,500 BTU trans cooler, dyno tuned for 93 octane at full power. I think my last pull on dyno was 381 to the rear wheels. I also added a nitrous system in the bed with a 120 shot. Never used it though mostly for car shows. On long trips I burned regular all the time. Once I arrived I filled with 93+

Danial on another note I've spent years fixing the cooling problem with our trucks. I've been told on here I don't know what I'm talking about and all kinds of other stuff but I will tell you that my SSR stays at 190 even during the power tour where we saw temps at 95 everyday. I rarely see 200 and it takes a lot to get there. Do yourself a favor and try this experiment. Cut some 1/4 Styrofoam and put it on the back of your air cleaner and see what it does to your IAT. Then you can decide if you want to permanently affix a backing which I did.

#39 ·
Yeah my truck never passed 210 and today I had it in park for about 20 min and it makes it above 210 to the line before 260 and j was checkin the under the hood to see if my fans were working and I noticed they didn't turn on at all & then I noticed that thing in the picture (don't really know what is called) it would rotate for about 2 seconds and stop repeatedly

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.