Chevy SSR Forum banner

LC32 Front Crossmember & Simple Engineering Front Stiffening Plate Drive Report

16K views 72 replies 31 participants last post by  Trygodfirst 
#1 · (Edited)
The Silver Rocket got the crossmember and stiffening plate installed today and went for a drive. Little did I know the drive would test all aspects of the new front end performance..but I digress.:lol

The install was really pretty simple (from my view) the parts unbolt and bolt right in. About 30 to 40 minutes for 2 people using hand tools. A little more time for one person and maybe shave a little time with pneumatic tools. Easy enough, just be sure to tighten everything. The one big warning is that it is absolutely imperative that you get the front end alignment checked out one the install is complete since the 4 big bolts (2 each side) that locate the aft mount of the lower A-arms need to be removed thereby negating any previously done alignment work. This is only applicable to the crossmember upgrade and not the stiffening plate.

Initial test drive impressions:
First reaction is that the steering feels heavier (I'll discuss this in detail later). In general it felt like the frame was now stiff and the front suspension was doing the work instead of a mix of the two. Mine never really had a cowl shake issue so I can't say much about that but I expect this would have a positive impact since less of the bump in the road get transmitted to the body structure. The steering is much more definite and precise. Whereas any quick maneuver was met with a little delay as the rest of the SSR would follow the input, it is now an immediate change of direction.

The long drive:
Freeway onramp, full throttle acceleration, and cruising at freeway speeds was all fairly normal. The items that I did notice were that the tendency or the SSR to tramline on some of the freeway surface changes is reduced or eliminated. The need for small steering corrections related to road surface irregularities and or bumps has been all but eliminated (key point for later discussion). Managed to find a panic stop from ~75 down to ZERO (along with all the other traffic - smoking tires all around me - YIKES! :willy:). SSR stopped really straight! No more little left and right kicks of the wheel to react to the road surface irregularities. Heart starts beating again.... Off the freeway and to my most hated bump in the world, there is just no good way to go through this thing without getting thrown around left and right. Slow, fast, straight through, at and angle - it just doesn't matter, it's still bad. This time, it was not nearly as bad as before not flat but 75% smoother than ever before! The one bump alone is worth the change. :thumbs

Afterthoughts:
The heavy steering thing had me thinking all the way home. How could the crossmember change affect the steering to such an extent? So I got to thinking about what I felt. In all of the miles drive I can feel a definite difference in that the frame now feels like a separate entity from the front suspension so it is no longer part of the suspension flexing and twisting. Some of the turn with bumps, I can feel the suspension working and the frame holding steady instead of adding more compliance to the suspension. The other think I thought about was the lack of minor steering corrections I had to make while driving. Seems that the change has made the SSR go even straighter even while to road may be uneven and/or bumpy. it finally occurred to me that the steering was not heavier but since there was no longer a never ending series of bump induced feedback through the steering requiring constant small corrections, it just naturally seemed that the steering was heavier even though this is not the case.

I need to get the alignment checked and then I need to find an opportunity to go back and autocross it to see how it acts when pushed to the limit. All in all, the changes are an A++++ in my book.

Special thanks to 2005SSR6Speed and Mike in AZ.

See less See more
#5 ·
After driving Mikes with the new crossmember I thought the steering felt heavier too. I have been looking forward to Arts input because I thought he would love the change. Great review and it is a change Im going to make on Smokey!!

#7 · (Edited)
The feeling of heaviness in the steering has been my concern with using the crossmember in your SSR.

My Girl Friend drove with the Crossmember in her TrailBlazer SS for over a week. She did not feel that the steering was heavier at all.

I spoke with Art about the concern with your SSR and really think it will be okay for you. Worse case senario would be that we have to pull it back out if it is a concern for you.

#11 ·
Well.. what can I say ... these tech sessions are dangerous!! Listened to Joe & Mike talk about the front stiffening plate... a wee bit later... Mike & I spoke a little.. and since my truck was ALREADY up in the air... told 'em to go for it...

I think Mike had a little too much fun... banging and drillin' on my truck...

Notice the ear protection provided by Umpire 13!! :lol

So... took 'er for a spin.. & you know the little jiggle you get even pulling outta the driveway... there was NONE! It was stiff! But not hard if that makes any sense. It responded very well... Even steered it on the way home like this...

The road affected the steering less...

SO This morning... I got out and really tested it in the canyons.. twisty, turvey, switch back kinda road... and pushed it, I mean really pushed it. I really like the tightness of front end. There is much less jiggle in the steering wheel and it handles much nicer now. Only problem is now the backend feels a little sloppy... The tailend almost got away from me in one of the switch backs which hasn't happened since I lower it & put the rear swaybar on. Guess that will be the next thing... in the never ending pursuit of drivin' happy! :D

#12 ·
Managed to get some drive time with only the crossmember and then again with the crossmember and stiffening plate. Seat of the pants says the crossmember does about 35 to 40% and the stiffening plate does the rest in regards to tightening things up.
From a strictly handling perspective they are about 50-50.

#20 ·
Is the power steering ratio different between the Trailblazer and the "R"?

Is there a big difference in weight?

Just wondering if that would contribute to the difference in steering "feel".

Sounds like I need one, OK want one.

Dicktator
Dick,

The TBSS has a slightly different steering rack. There is a very small difference from the outside..... not worth going into longewinded discussion. Doubtful if it is a different ratio, probably slightly different valving and orifices to change the "feel" from a marketing standpoint.

The steering in the "R" was tuned (valving, pressures and orifices) for a performance feel. There were about 4 different "tweaks" that GM made through the years of SSR production. All of them trying to slightly modify the steering feel and road feedback to the wheel.

Lots of outside variables that will effect feel a little too........ The TBSS is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the SSR, but has a much higher center of gravity. Body roll is different. Body stiffeness is different. Rear suspension is air bags on the TBSS. Wheelbase is slightly different. Front spindles are different.......

The front alignment is different in the TBSS and the SSR has 19" tires instead of the 20's on the TBSS. All in all, there is a lot of similarity, but enough difference that they don't handle or feel the same.

Yes, You need to get this.:glol:glol

Mikey

William - As for "drilling", we had to put two holes in the small metal transition between the two front crossmembers where the front of the plate attaches. It's the vertical surface directly below the crankshaft pulley. The 2006 already has holes there. We used the stiiffening plate as a template. What you see in the photo is me with an air hammer and Richard covering my ears. We had to tweak a bracket on LT's truck a little. Not a factor on anyone elses.

Mike

#21 ·
"William - As for "drilling", we had to put two holes in the small metal transition between the two front crossmembers where the front of the plate attaches. It's the vertical surface directly below the crankshaft pulley. The 2006 already has holes there. We used the stiiffening plate as a template. What you see in the photo is me with an air hammer and Richard covering my ears. We had to tweak a bracket on LT's truck a little. Not a factor on anyone elses."

Mike, does that mean that most all of the 05s and 06s will need to be drilled?

#32 ·
I installed the LC32 brace last week. I had the front end aligned today. I then installed the Mike in AZ stiffening plate.

Wow, what a difference. Far less A-pillar shake with the top down. Steering is more precise.

I'm very pleased with my SSR's new/better "handling". :)

The steering does not feel any heavier to me, simply more responsive to the driver's input.

#33 ·
One satisfied customer!

I got the LC32 and Mike's stiffening plate installed last Wednesday. I wanted to put a few miles on the SSR before giving my impressions. What a difference! Top up, cowl shake is gone. Bump steer to zero. Top down, some shake, but a still a significant decrease. The bumps that used to transmit to the steering are gone. I tried to feel a heaviness, but like Shiftz33 I think it is just more precise. The response through tight turns and twisty hills is sweet. Altogether a great improvement and one that I wouldn't hesitate to do again!
Joe and Mike, great job and you can use me as a reference.:)
Thanks again!:blur:

#34 ·
Okay

I got the LC32 and Mike's stiffening plate installed last Wednesday. I wanted to put a few miles on the SSR before giving my impressions. What a difference! Top up, cowl shake is gone. Bump steer to zero. Top down, some shake, but a still a significant decrease. The bumps that used to transmit to the steering are gone. I tried to feel a heaviness, but like Shiftz33 I think it is just more precise. The response through tight turns and twisty hills is sweet. Altogether a great improvement and one that I wouldn't hesitate to do again!
Joe and Mike, great job and you can use me as a reference.:)
Thanks again!:blur:
Okay, so now who's gonna make the strut tower brace? I've looked at it and I think it's doable. Personally, I think that is where you'll get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of reducing the shake, rattle and roll, especially if it's tied in to the firewall. When someone makes one, I'll volunteer to be the test Dummy, how's that!

#36 · (Edited)
So with great help from my friend Bill and his lift and airtools, we installed the crossmember kit Saturday. I can see that once you have done it is is very simple. But I had to call 2005SSR6Speed for guidance (Joe can you post pics from the front of the truck). Got the torque specs and the skinny on the little plates.

First..very nice engineering job! It fit perfectly and I do hate kits that are "Close". Lined up just right first time.

Driving impression. I agree this is a great first step for the front end. I lit it up to see how different it felt and then slammed on the brakes to check for that solid feel. All there. I drive my truck every day and this is a really nice kit for reducing the cowl shake. Arizona has some very ugly roads and it did reduce the shaking of the truck in general. (Also I change my own oil and am so glad to have at the filter unrestricted. I think I'd a bought the kit just for this alone. Next oil change in 800 miles...I can now pull down the filter without tipping it and dumping oil all over the undercarriage.)

I am going to drive it another week then put Mike in AZs kit on to compare the changes.

A really special thanks to 2005SSR6Speed and Mike in AZ for taking my calls.

Scott

#37 ·
So with great help from my friend Bill and his lift and airtools, we installed the crossmember kit Saturday. I can see that once you have done it is is very simple. But I had to call 2005SSR6Speed for guidance (Joe can you post pics from the front of the truck). Got the torque specs and the skinny on the little plates. Scott
How about posting the torque specs, and little plate skinny, for those of us that haven't gotten our kits yet.

#38 · (Edited)
We have been using the following Torque Specs. These specs are an approximation.

125 ft/lbs - Large bolts for the lower control arms x4
35 ft/lbs - M10 bolts x8
25 ft/lbs - M8 bolts x2 (very front 2)

I will be shipping the second batch starting today. I will have all of them shipped by COB Tuesday for everyone. Thanks for the great support and all the compliments.

#58 ·
125# is not near enough torque on the large (M16) bolts. You'll get minimal bolt stretch and a weakened joint. The manual calls for 177# and I found that 180# gave .006" bolt stretch, which is correct for that fastener. I know most people have an 120# or 150# max torque wrench. I've had a neat 8" extender for years that increases the range of your wrench. Mine was made by Sunnen, but probably Snap on or Mac has something similar. The 8" extension will take the 120# setting on the wrench out to 180# applied torque. There are also gear drive torque multipliers available, but they're quite costly.
Today Ross brought his '05 SSR in for a wheel alignment recheck and adjustment after install complete kit including oil pan. Per Ross request we took measurements before and after removing plate. No change in caster and camber settings. A word of wisdom is make sure your lower control arm front brace mounting bolt is torqued to 192 lb. ft. or 260 N.m., rear mounting bolt torqued to 177 lb. ft. or 240 N.m., Lower control arm to the lower control arm bracket mounting nuts are 81 lb.ft., Those not torqued correctly will change alignment readings slightly. Also when you lower rack and pinion to remove oil pan please torque mounting bolts to 81 lb. ft. this eliminates extra play in rack when turning and damage to rack assembly.

We have preferred specification for wheel alignment for proper handling and less tire wear on the SSR's and TB. These specification have proven very good over the years.

My dear Dad would have a hussy if somebody told him how to torque by adding and extension to a torque wrench. If you are working on a vehicle purchase a good torque wrench and have a 24" or longer for proper torque. Many a time I personal had the back-of-the-hand to remind me when doing the no no...! As my dad said bolt are made to specification and if you just tighten them you loose the benefit of proper fit and workmanship. Amen!

Ross states that the combination of installs made a new sport handle to his
Ride. Now if somebody wants a sweet ride his truck might be for sale. Has 38K miles.

Joe and Mikie did a very nice modification and well thought out. So, make sure of proper torque specifications on this modification.

My 1/2 penny
Robert ICBlue
Not that it takes much but now I am confussed about the correct torque ?

#42 ·
125# is not near enough torque on the large (M16) bolts. You'll get minimal bolt stretch and a weakened joint. The manual calls for 177# and I found that 180# gave .006" bolt stretch, which is correct for that fastener. I know most people have an 120# or 150# max torque wrench. I've had a neat 8" extender for years that increases the range of your wrench. Mine was made by Sunnen, but probably Snap on or Mac has something similar. The 8" extension will take the 120# setting on the wrench out to 180# applied torque. There are also gear drive torque multipliers available, but they're quite costly.

Attachments

#45 ·
Cross Member & Plate Installed today

A big thank you to Joe for installing my cross member & front plate today...:)
53 mile test drive home, all I can say is WOW!!!!:thumbs

#48 ·
2 weeks ago I installed the LS2 crossmember then posted my driving impression above.

Last week Mikey was gratious enough to help me install his plate (along with a couple other things 'cause its hard to leave Mike's without more stuff).

The driving feel is great. My dreaded cowl shake almost all gone. The SSR feels much more responsive for me and, after about 250 miles, the combo units of Joe and Mike are great improvements. There is about a 40% improvement with the crossmember and a 100% total improvement with the combination. And I can change the oil without dumping it all over the chassis!

Again thanks to you both for such great adds!

Now Mikey you still owe me 2 more parts! SSR...the more mods the merrier!

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.