User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005, Auto, Mike's Stiffening Plate, Rad Fan, Rad Support, 5" Tips, MagnaFlow 12588, TBSS Brace, K&N
View fhughes's Photo Gallery
MagnaFlow 12588 or 14588 Installed?

Anyone installed a MagnaFlow #12588 or 14588 muffler (same mufflers 14588 is polished) on a 05/06 6.0?

I like the stock exhaust sound but want to eliminate the choked down inlet and outlets on the stock exhaust. It looks like this is almost a direct/clamp-on replacement. 22" body, 28" overall, 5x11 oval, 3" single center inlet, 2 2.5" outlets. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12588

I'm hoping for no drone on cruise but same or louder exhaust tone on acceleration.

Any sound bites?
fhughes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
I installed a Magnaflow 12588 on my 05 and I really liked the sound. All I did was cut the old one off and band clamp this one in it's place. Had some compliments on the sound and the wife liked it so all was good. For me it was the same at cruise but really spoke nicely when you hit the pedal.

I don't think you can go wrong with it for the sound quality, if you're looking for performance there are other ways of spending the money.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red SSR, Tazzy
View sprooney's Photo Gallery
Magnaflow 12569

Two weeks ago I installed the Magnaflow 12569. It is a dual inlet, dual outlet oval muffler. Inlets are 3 inch and outlets are 2 1/2 inch. The muffler has an internal crossover and acts like a dual system with one muffler. The sound is deeper in tone and by having the dual inlet and outlet the drone you have with the original muffler, at 1400 RPM shifts to 1800 RPM. Makes it a bit quieter around town as the RPM was always in the 1400 range. Traveling at highway speeds no drone. With wide open throttle the roar is lower in pitch and louder. What is does do is allow the engine to breath a lot better. So far I am quite pleased with the results. Similar to the original muffler in terms of being quiet, lower tone overall and more bark when you nail the loud peddle.
As far as costs go to have a custom bent set of stainless pipes from the converters on back to the Mike's tips was a bit over $400. That was done here in Scottsdale.
sprooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005, Auto, Mike's Stiffening Plate, Rad Fan, Rad Support, 5" Tips, MagnaFlow 12588, TBSS Brace, K&N
MagnaFlow 12588

Well I ordered a 12588 today and it should be here on Thursday.

I'm going to do the install myself using Torca Band clamps. I'll let you know how the install goes and how it sounds.

One install issue I'm aware of is that the stock muffler outlets are about 6.5" apart vs the MagnaFlow muffler outlets that are 5.75" apart and the stock tail pipes are held together with a welded metal bar over the rear differential. Hoping I can force to pipe together, otherwise I may have to cut the bar into?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhughes View Post
Well I ordered a 12588 today and it should be here on Thursday.

One install issue I'm aware of is that the stock muffler outlets are about 6.5" apart vs the MagnaFlow muffler outlets that are 5.75" apart and the stock tail pipes are held together with a welded metal bar over the rear differential. Hoping I can force to pipe together, otherwise I may have to cut the bar into?
I installed mine with no major issues or cutting. I think I adjusted the tips a little bit, there are "side to side" and "angular" adjustments at the hangers just behind the tips. One side does one movement and the other side does the other.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

My SSR:
MagnaFlow 12588 is Installed

Install was pretty easy. I had to take the inlet pipe to the muffler shop to swell it to 3" od. Other than that it was just cut out the stock muffler and install the Magnaflow.

No worries about drone...It's quieter than the stock muffler. Hope it get's louder after some use.

But it is much more opened up. The stock muffler inlets and outlets are chocked down to 2.25". The MagnaFlow is a full 3" ID inlet and a full 2.5" ID outlets.

I put some pictures in my profile album.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cantankerous SSR Caretakr

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
View river_rat's Photo Gallery
If I understand correctly, you had the inlet pipe stretched to slip fit on the inlet to the muffler, what about the outlets. Were the Torca band clamps for slip joints or butt joints? How well do these type of clamps seal? Thanks
river_rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
Yes I had the stock inlet pipe stretched from it's 2.75" OD size to 3" OD. The Magnaflow inlet is 3" ID.

Did nothing to the tailpipes or Magnaflow outlets. The stock tailpipes are 2.5" OD and the Magnaflow outlets are 2.5" ID all the way through the muffler.

The Torca clamps were standard on the CORSA Sport exhaust I installed on my 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T and have worked well. You do need to cut 4 slits in each inlet and outlet to allow the outlets to cinch up good and tight on the pipes. You torque them to 45 ft lbs. Also they are stainless. O'Reilly ordered them for me. They are sold/pkg'd by ROL Gaskets??? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=torca http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=accuseal

These work well too but the band is much thinner. The size is stepped for clamping around the pipe and muffler's slightly larger OD. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=torca

The Exhaust on my SSR sounds alot like the CORSA exhaust on my Challenger. Very quiet at cruise and a good bark on heavy acceleration. It does have a deeper or what I would call a smooth bass sound where the CORSA exhaust has a higher pitch. The Magnaflow is not as loud as the Stock Exhaust on idle and cruise and has that deeper sound. I do think it's getting louder as I drive it.

I'd like to find a 3" inlet pipe to replace the stock 2.75" inlet pipe. Maybe High Flow Cats as well.

Last edited by fhughes; 05-20-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Removed You Tube Video
Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Ultraviolet, Mikes stiffening plate, spare tire kit, tranny cooler, radiator plate & Mag 112
View Paulee's Photo Gallery
Just had a Magnaflow 12588 installed on my 04 and WOW! It's quieter than stock and NO drone.. Love it.
Paulee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

My SSR:
Magnaflow 12588 installed then replaced it with a 12288

The Magnaflow 12588 has a great sound but not much volume. It is quieter than the stock muffler and when cruising you can't hear it at all.

I replaced the Magnaflow 12588 with a Magnaflow 12288 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=12288 and like it much better. On acceleration it is loud. On cruise you can hear it but not too much. I wouldn't call it a drone just sound. No reverberation in the cab.

I also replaced the restrictive 2.75" inlet pipe with a straight 3" OD Stainless Exhaust Pipe. The fit it real nice and neat. Little difficult to get the tailpipes to squeeze together enough to slip into the 12288 muffler outlets because the tailpipes are welded together with that metal rod over the differential.

I like the volume on the 12288 much better but actually like the tone of the 12588 better. Main thing is I have eliminated much of the restrictive stock exhaust.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

View MnMsToy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhughes View Post
The Magnaflow 12588 has a great sound but not much volume. It is quieter than the stock muffler and when cruising you can't hear it at all.

I replaced the Magnaflow 12588 with a Magnaflow 12288 MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles and like it much better. On acceleration it is loud. On cruise you can hear it but not too much. I wouldn't call it a drone just sound. No reverberation in the cab.

I also replaced the restrictive 2.75" inlet pipe with a straight 3" OD Stainless Exhaust Pipe. The fit it real nice and neat. Little difficult to get the tailpipes to squeeze together enough to slip into the 12288 muffler outlets because the tailpipes are welded together with that metal rod over the differential.

I like the volume on the 12288 much better but actually like the tone of the 12588 better. Main thing is I have eliminated much of the restrictive stock exhaust.

2005 Chevy SSR Muffler Replaced w-Magnaflow 12588 then 12288 - YouTube
Excellent before and after exhaust sounds. You may want to post your clip here too:

Performance Exhaust Sound
MnMsToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.