• 1 Post By river_rat
  • 1 Post By cali201
  • 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
3M tape removal

Anyone have a secret for removing 3M double sided tape? Any solvent that will release the glue? One side fell off (didn't stick) The other side is stuck fast. I have to do about 4 feet.
I'm going to ask a few of my body shops but thought Id ask on here also incase someone has had success.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
MAKE SURE THE AREA OF THE RESIDUAL FOAM IS AS CLEAN AS YOU CAN GET IT. It tends to collect dirt in and around the tape, and will act like an abrasive as you try to remove the remaining tape. Roll as much of the foam off as you can get. I then use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (Red and White quart can' available at a lot of hardware and automotive stores) to soften and remove the adhesive. I think Furykay also recommends a product called UnDu. Wash the area well afterwards.
Joshvette likes this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
One of my shops recommended trying as you said to remove as much as possible, and rubber wheel the rest.
I do have a wheel, but that's a big area.
Ill try some adhesive removers first.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I like to apply heat from a hairdryer and roll it off.
Joshvette likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 SSR owner
I use the rubber wheel all the way then a little solvent for final cleanup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:46 PM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Heat it up and roll it off with your fingers. Sometime that stuff will just wipe right off and sometimes it is more stubborn.

After that touch it up with a little adhesive remover and wipe it down with a wet MF towel after that. rewax.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Jesus, that guy likes to hear himself talk.
Joshvette likes this.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM

My SSR:
2005 Black with 6.0 and six speed. Found it in PA with 10,377 miles. Going to use it as my summer ca
3m

I use the following and it will not hurt anything.
1. baby oil.
2. WD-40
3. Goo B Gone.
Get it wet and let soak, reapply as many times. Use a soft towel to clean it off.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
This is what Blackie used back in 2010 when he took his fender guards off and had to get the 3-M tape off the fender.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackie.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	413874  

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
The eraser wheels work amazingly well and quick. If you have alot of area to cover, get more than one; they tend to wear away fast.

I removed about a zillion 20 year old baked on pinstripes from an old school customized van with these wheels. It wouldn't have been possible without them; before I tried the wheel I literally was picking pinstripes off 1/32" at a time with my fingernails.

Amazingly, and contrary to what you'd rationally think, somehow these wheels do NOT mar or scuff the paint in any way...not even hairline hazy scratches. Seems impossible, but they don't harm the paint at all.

But, be warned...these can NOT be used on lacquer. They will "erase" that, too.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Support/Research

3M Tape Removal

You can also use a good wax and grease remover like PPG DX330. Apply it around the edges (I use a small eyedropper or pipette) and let it soak well, reapplying as necessary until it is loose and can be rolled off the surface. Patience is the key- it won't do its job in two or three minutes, it needs more than that to be effective.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
The eraser wheels work amazingly well and quick. If you have alot of area to cover, get more than one; they tend to wear away fast.

I removed about a zillion 20 year old baked on pinstripes from an old school customized van with these wheels. It wouldn't have been possible without them; before I tried the wheel I literally was picking pinstripes off 1/32" at a time with my fingernails.

Amazingly, and contrary to what you'd rationally think, somehow these wheels do NOT mar or scuff the paint in any way...not even hairline hazy scratches. Seems impossible, but they don't harm the paint at all.

But, be warned...these can NOT be used on lacquer. They will "erase" that, too.
I have used the chemical route in the past but tried one of those eraser wheels and I was totally amazed. No need to put much pressure when using them, I took off really old baked on pinstripe that was fender to bumper on both sides of a car with one wheel and I could probably do 2-3 more cars with the same wheel. Much less hassle, I will always use one the next time I need to take off adhesives or tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Just an update. I had maybe 5 or more feet of tape to remove. It was on the bottom of one of Eric's spoilers. The tape let go and only the screws held it on. I had to get the tape off to install the spoiler to Eric's instructions. I cut it down as much as I could with a blade then went the chemical route. I had a wheel but didn't want to cover that much real estate. I also know with the roughness of the fiberglass, it would eat the wheel fast. I used a spray on solvent used for graffiti removal. Its a foamy substance like easy off oven cleaner. Let it soak for 5 min and scrape off with a putty knife. Still took a few hours but did a good job. I then cleaned it with a scotch brite and denatured alcohol....which after today I should have just drank!
Right now its propped up on the bumper with a bead of urethane on it. Ill do the sides and metal plate...which I got a shop to base coat clear coat for me tomorrow. AND play with my messed up speedo! Fun never ends
Thanks for all the replies.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 AM

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
After you have removed as much as you can with your fingers where you have some of the glue backing left use an eraser wheel to get the rest off. Will not harm the paint then just polish and it should be fine. I used an eraser wheel about 3 years ago to remove the side dust trails on a 1970 Road Runner that I bought back then. Worked great. Can't even tell it was there.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.