Chevy SSR Forum banner

Bad Day

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ssroe 
#1 · (Edited)
Went out yesterday morning to move the SSR (been sittin' there since we got home from Maggie) Oh no big oil leak on floor about the size of kitchen plate. Called Todd's Complete Auto Care ... can't look at it til Tuesday morning ... (per the front office pencil pusher's) OK, OK !!! Took Jan to "beauty" shop, stopped by Todd's, he said go get it right now and we'll put it on the rack and see what's going on. OK, Whew, oil filter had come loose ... oil all over frame. Todd cleaned it up, put on new oil filter and 1 quart of Mobil1 5/30. Came home put cardboard under SSR ... No drips this morning, Yeah !!!

Then yesterday, going to Miller's Cafe in Christiana, (in the Equinox, not the SSR) a rock came off a dump truck going the other way, almost came through the windshield, scared the pee out of Jan and me. Now new windshield in the Equinox next Wednesday in Nashville ... when it rains it pours !!! Crazy ole Bob :ssr

Thank goodness for Todd's !!!

#5 ·
Went out yesterday morning to move the SSR (been sittin' there since we got home from Maggie) Oh no big oil leak on floor about the size of kitchen plate. Called Todd's Complete Auto Care ... can't look at it til Tuesday morning ... (per the front office pencil pusher's) OK, OK !!! Took Jan to "beauty" shop, stopped by Todd's, he said go get it right now and we'll put it on the rack and see what's going on. OK, Whew, oil filter had come loose ... oil all over frame. Todd cleaned it up, put on new oil filter and 1 quart of Mobil1 5/30. Came home put cardboard under SSR ... No drips this morning, Yeah !!!

Then yesterday, going to Miller's Cafe in Christiana, (in the Equinox, not the SSR) a rock came off a dump truck going the other way, almost came through the windshield, scared the pee out of Jan and me. Now new windshield in the Equinox next Wednesday in Nashville ... when it rains it pours !!! Crazy ole Bob :ssr

Thank goodness for Todd's !!!
I have owned three SSR's and have experiencd oil filter leaks on both an 04 and an 05. I always stood there when the technician replaced the filter and know it was tightened. It has happened with both AC and non AC filters. Each time it has happened after a long day of driving. Now I glance under the truck for signs of oil.
Dave

#6 ·
had similar situation on my black R. Had noticed small leak on garage floor that progressively got worse. Before going to Maggie Valley we had the R serviced and asked to look at filter when up in air. We found the filter only finger tight and oil 1 qt low.

We completed service with Mobil 1 oil change and new ac filter. Service writer advised they have had a couple oil filters crack but none come loose. The loose filter was installed about 2500 miles earlier so can't blame tech. No signs of leakage since.

#10 ·
Bob, I'm glad the R is ok with just a new filter and a quart....Check with your insurance company about the windshield, they may replace it or at least help with the cost. Be careful out there, it's getting crazier every day...

#12 ·
Hey Bob, when were you in Maggie? We didn't see you lat weekend.
Michael, got there Thursday afternoon, but stayed in Waynesville at a Bed & Breakfast. We drove through a couple of times, however, the only thing we participated in was Gina's cruise up to Mt. Pisgah for lunch, which we really enjoyed. Our Maggie Valley trip was actually a 2 day rest & relaxation mini vacation. We have been involved (financially) in our daughter's bitter divorce plus Jan & I are both handicapped a little right now. Jan has 2 bad knees and 4 pins in one hip. I'm in pain most the time with Severe Degenerative Arthritis of the Spine, but actually most of my pain is in my shoulders and hands and not in my back (2 Aleve at 6 am and 2 at 6 pm is really helping). :frown2:

Sorry to bend your ear with so many details, however, we really do appreciate you asking. :smile2: Bob & Jan Alexander :ssr

#13 ·
Bob here is my story. On the way home yesterday from Maggie Valley by the way of Virginia Beach, Va. we hear a very loud thud on the roof of the R! Almost sounded like a basketball or something dropped on the roof. Didn't stop untill the next pit stop. Got out looked all over the R, nothing. Was I relieved. Go figure?

Scott 0168

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.