• 2 Post By artsmart
  • 8 Post By tennesseecozydog
  • 1 Post By spook
  • 3 Post By Dr Who
  • 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

To buy or not to buy

I have a corvette and thinking about selling it and buying a SSR. MY FEAR is parts availability. What can go out on it that is almost impossible to find? I don't want to have a nice SSR sitting in the garage not being used because I can"t find a part to fix it. How much of a problem is this? Someone please clue in a reluctant buyer,,,, buy or run away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I have not had a vette but on 2nd SSR i really enjoy it on this site lots of great people and there are parts out there lot of great advice here I have never looked back.
Auggie Doggie and Joshvette like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
All of the mechanical parts are common with other GM products and not a big problem. The body parts are tougher but can be found from certain dismantlers who part out wrecks, or Fanatic members who have squirreled away stuff when it was available. Either way, you can be assured the Fanatics will get you back on the road.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 PM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot Yellow 6 spd FPR
Hi, I tell people the SSR is a Vette with a trunk!

I am on my second one.... on the first one I had to replace the driver side interior door handle and I guess this is fairly common issue... my Chevy dealer was able to get me the part... I also had to replace or rather rebuild the ABS brake valve which is not made anymore but they rebuild them now so it was not a problem either... Many of the parts are from other GM vehicles that had larger runs and so are easily obtainable...

I am finding that some accessories can be hard to find like the saddle bags but most of the other things are easily obtained e.g. hitches, windscreens, bed covers etc...

Not to say that you might not find a part that's hard to find but so far I have not had anything I could not get fixed rather easily... although it may cost you some bucks...

It's a great vehicle... someone here calls it a permasmile and i think that's about right at least it always brings a smile to me...

Cheers
Auggie Doggie and Jersey red like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 PM
one of the SoCal Nuts

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny pincher View Post
I have a corvette and thinking about selling it and buying a SSR. MY FEAR is parts availability. What can go out on it that is almost impossible to find? I don't want to have a nice SSR sitting in the garage not being used because I can"t find a part to fix it. How much of a problem is this? Someone please clue in a reluctant buyer,,,, buy or run away?
Welcome from one of the SoCal Nuts. You will not regret the purchase of an SSR if you do your homework and find the one that is right for you. I am sure there is someone who will correct me if I am wrong. There are many here who are more knowledgeable than I.

Most parts on the SSR are shared with other GM vehicles. The body parts and some of the electronics are unique to this vehicle and in some cases unique to a model year or two. This is the best place to look if you have a problem because, in most cases, someone else has had that problem before. If not the smart guys will help you work it out.

If you check out this link you can add a bit of information to your profile and you may find there are others in your vicinity and we will have a bit of information about you when we read your posts.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 PM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Mines a daily driver and only real problem I've had with it were the stepper motors, the little tiny motors that move the needles in the gauge cluster. Those are like $20 bucks plus finding someone who can solder them in.

I did the shift cable upgrade too ($15) so won't have to worry about that week link causing problems later on. Little things like that, that the SSR fanatics will help you with and have come up with some pretty creative solutions will help you thorough out your ownership of it.

As far as engine, drivetrain and other such systems they are good but also have those parts in common with other GM vehicles....

The only real concern I have driving it is getting in a fender bender and having to replace a body panel, that will be difficult, but there's plenty of parts out there as well as after market front ends, rear ends, and hoods so not too concerned.

I too had a C5 vette once upon a time and I will say, for as much as I love Vettes and loved my Vette, this SSR is pretty tough to beat in regards to how much enjoyment it is to drive.

Josh
ssrtruck, DOOPHUS, HUAW and 1 others like this.

Do what's right not what's easy....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:57 AM

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
Welcome from northeast N.J. Your user name reminds me of a custom van I saw in 1977 at a show. It was called 'Penny Pincher' and had over 1000 pennies used as buttons on the button tufted interior and the bumpers were copper plated, as were all the normally chromed parts.
I would go to a few SSR rallies and talk first hand with a couple dozen SSR owners.
I very strongly suggested to Joshvette prior to his SSR purchase that the SSR is a TRUCK, not a Vette, or anything of the like. It rides like a truck, is very heavy (over 5000 lbs loaded) and will NEVER handle like a Vette. As you can see, he did purchase one, and currently seems to be happy with it. (Sorry for putting words in your 'post' Josh) Power is not the problem, as 450-475 HP is fairly easy to obtain with the '05/'06 6.0L.
That being said, it is an eye catching, usually positively commented vehicle to drive.
The best way to purchase one is to find the one you can afford, and post VIN here, so someone can find the history of it. (Not always, but most times it can be checked)
There are several on this site for sale at the moment, six in Arizona that seem like quality trucks, among others. Buying from a Fanatic is not a guarantee of perfection, but many of the Fanatics take the care of their SSR's very seriously.
You also need to think about how it will be used, as a daily driver, or a weekend cruiser.
If price is a deciding factor over everything else, the '03/'04 is usually sells for less.
Mileage is another factor in pricing. If using as a daily driver, maybe find one with 60k to 80k. The engine is relatively long lived(depending on previous maintenance)
The transmission (auto), to me would be the most likely to fail on a non maintained vehicle (common 4L60E). The clutch on the manual trans truck is a week link, but fairly easy to upgrade to LS7 type.
I know, you probably are thinking that I am stating the obvious, but these are some of the things to be aware of.
Insurance is another important aspect of owning an SSR. Make sure what ever company you choose understands the body part replacement issue and will be willing to pay for New when available, as these parts are very pricey. The grille spear alone is upwards of $600, headlights $400 each, tail lights $350 each(no new ones at GM). Fenders and hoods are available new, but $1700 for a hood and $800 for a fender.
Good luck with your search for an SSR that suits you.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
All I have to say is even new cars and trucks have been known to break down and when they do it is nothing to see it sit at the dealer for 3 to 4 weeks waiting for parts etc. Buy one and drive it like you stole it. One suggestion is buy one off this site as it will probably have had tender loving care and everything that could go wrong has probably beeen fixed already. Good luck

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 AM

I have a corvette and you can just about build one with replacement parts from many sources. I also worry about getting some parts, mostly body related. I do see lots of stuff on ebay.
Joshvette likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
Garage
I'm very satisfied with my SSR but there are a few corvettes that I would consider buying or trading for, you might give a little information on your vette in case someone was interested in working out a trade. I went from a 2010 vette to the SSR when I couldn't find a 65-67 vette that I could afford.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
WELCOME, Penny Pincher . . . from Southern Arizona.

My advice . . . GO FOR IT. The Doophus turns 12 in a few days and I would not consider trading the "Little Yellow Bugger" regardless.

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, chrome rims, runnin' boards, front splitter, rear spoiler "Power Glide"
penny pincher, wouldn't trade our 05 Redline Red for any "vette" that is unless I could sell it in 24 hours for a nice profit. Born a CHEVROLET fan in 1940 and for some reason have never had a desire to own a "vette" ... love to look at them and they are truly beautiful. Always been a classic Chevy man ... 55, 56, & 57 plus a 61 bubble top (America's 1st muscle car ... 61, she's real fine my 409 !!!) I'll tell you the wife and I have had more enjoyment in our SSR in the past 8 years than we did in 25 years in our two 55's. I even just enjoy going our in the garage and looking at her. There's millions of "vettes" out there but less 24,000 SSR's and maybe only close to 20,000 now. You know the old saying "Try it you'll like it" that apply's to the SSR too. Do your home work, you'll be glad you did. Bob Alexander
spook, DOOPHUS and 04 PurpleHaze like this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396 Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 S/C 392 Challenger
Garage
I have both as well...drive the SSR way more than the vette. Hey T-dog, you been around a long time. Pulled chocks for the Wright Brothers from what I hear.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
I have both as well...drive the SSR way more than the vette. Hey T-dog, you been around a long time. Pulled chocks for the Wright Brothers from what I hear.
OUCH

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
Parts availablility

I am currently waiting on Cadillac to come up with the two door sills, left door panel and panel between the doors that the " Service Tech" destroyed while replacing the lane change vibrator on the driver seat and the seat heater on the right (they found two new pads that go over the vibrators that he left out leaving two holes in the seat padding) on my Cadillac SRX at my local dealer.

Jack
Auggie Doggie likes this.

I love my new smart phone, turn it on, make call, turn it off. It knows enough not to bug me, Smart.
Jack Pruitt
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet #11012 born on 04 June 2004
Penny Pincher, I asked the same darn questions way back in '05 prior to buying the Still have her, haven't looked back, and anything I've ever needed for repairs, upgrades, and maintenance has been provided/found through friendships on this site
tennesseecozydog and shakatak like this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, chrome rims, runnin' boards, front splitter, rear spoiler "Power Glide"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
You're not even close spook, actually I was a waiter at the Lord's last Supper !!! One thing I do know, I grew up in the best years of this great country from 1946 to 1966 ... hot cars, cute girls , car hops, street dragging, bench seats that your girl could snuggle up to you and big trunks to sneak in the Drive In. Bob Alexander :
spook, DOOPHUS, Achias and 5 others like this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 427 UV, 65 BBVet, 96 ViperGTS, 68 396 Cam, 69 Z/28, 92 Typhoon,11 S/C 392 Challenger
Garage
I know T-dog...you're a great human being and that's why I poked a little fun at you. No offense intended. By the way I'm right behind you...but you know that too. My first car (that I bought) was a 69 Z/28. I still have it today. Complete restoration in 98 and pretty much garaged every since. We actually have a drive in theater not to far away. Took the kids a couple of years ago before they left us for college and they loved it.
tennesseecozydog likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
You're not even close spook, actually I was a waiter at the Lord's last Supper !!! One thing I do know, I grew up in the best years of this great country from 1946 to 1966 ... hot cars, cute girls , car hops, street dragging, bench seats that your girl could snuggle up to you and big trunks to sneak in the Drive In. Bob Alexander :

Little did you know that one day you one have a vehicle that would encompass all those things you grew up with....well, except for the bench seat. But, your SSR does have a bed in the back!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM

What do they say, Buy a Ticket and take your Changes............
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
And Chrome wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	408234  
artsmart likes this.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.