User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Rear spoiler, 20"/22" Helo 868 Wheels, '06 Chrome Pkg., 2-Tone Katzkin seats, Magnaflow CB Exhaust
View Alex05SSR's Photo Gallery
Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:

I was scratching my head for a long time trying to figure out something I could use to prop the doors of my SSR open at the first stopping point so that the interior could be displayed better at cruise-ins and car shows.

I don't like the looks with the doors wide open, and usually you don't have that kind of room to keep them wide open anyway. It isn't wise to keep them partially open, and not secured in some manner, for fear of people bumping in to them and knocking your door into the vehicle beside you.

Well, recently I was snooping around in a Lowe's Hope Improvement Store for some ideas. I figured that I could somehow utilize a piece of tubing, pipe, or wood dowel, but I was also looking for something that was not quite so rigid. Something that would be more forgiving. Then, low and behold, I found exactly what I was looking for, and best of all it was already about the correct length that I figured I needed.....16" or so. BTW, these springs are located in any Lowe's store in the aisle where the fasteners are.

It was a 16-1/2" long tightly wound 9/16" diameter coiled spring. I bought 2 of them at a cost of $4.97/each. I used a pair of wire cutters to cut away a portion of the full loop at either end to form a hook. One hook slips tightly over the striker on the inside of the truck body and the other hook slips into a narrow opening near the latch on the edge of the door.

For a finishing touch I put small pieces of the carpeted side of velcro on the edges of the doors for protection, and I bought some 5/8" diameter convoluted bright chrome split tubing (available at Pep Boys or O'Reilly's) and slipped it over the springs to dress them up a bit.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01518.jpg   Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01521.jpg   Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01519.jpg   Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01539.jpg   Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01540.jpg  

Alex05SSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

My SSR:
'03 Redline Red #610
View akwares's Photo Gallery
Slick mod, Alex, I'm impressed, and thanks for sharing.

Akwares
akwares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
View Marc NY's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Great Idea indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex05SSR View Post
I was scratching my head for a long time trying to figure out something I could use to prop the doors of my SSR open at the first stopping point so that the interior could be displayed better at cruise-ins and car shows.

... For a finishing touch I put small pieces of the carpeted side of velcro on the edges of the doors for protection, and I bought some 5/8" diameter convoluted bright chrome split tubing (available at Pep Boys or O'Reilly's) and slipped it over the springs to dress them up a bit.

Alex
I like that idea Alex ...

BTW: Do you have a couple of photos with the bright chrome split tubing on? Edit... I see that it appears that you do have the tubing on correct? Maybe you can provide a shot or two of your SSR from a distance so we can see how the doors look propped open?

Thanks

*I see that shows off your great looking SSR step sill accessory much better that way!

Last edited by Marc NY; 03-08-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: edit comments
Marc NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Alex, what would happen if some little kid who not being closely watch by Mom or Pop tries to close the door?
Would that do more harm?
(No, not you, the paint)
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Rear spoiler, 20"/22" Helo 868 Wheels, '06 Chrome Pkg., 2-Tone Katzkin seats, Magnaflow CB Exhaust
More Photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
I like that idea Alex ...

BTW: Do you have a couple of photos with the bright chrome split tubing on? Edit... I see that it appears that you do have the tubing on correct? Maybe you can provide a shot or two of your SSR from a distance so we can see how the doors look propped open?

Thanks

*I see that shows off your great looking SSR step sill accessory much better that way!
Marc:

Here are a couple of photos a bit further away that I took at the same time I took the other photos that I attached in my initial post. I hope these are far enough away. I went outside just now to take a couple of more shots but realized my truck was dirty, as it rained hard here yesterday. So I said no way! You know the unwritten rule here on the forum....."No photos of dirty SSRs are allowed!"

BTW, I forgot to mention that the springs appear to be galvanized (zinc plated, etc.), so they are not bad looking as is. Also, the polyethylene convoluted split tubing is available in black, red, and blue colors as well.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01543.jpg   Custom Door Props for Cruise-ins & Car Shows:-dsc01544.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
Alex, what would happen if some little kid who not being closely watch by Mom or Pop tries to close the door?
Would that do more harm?
(No, not you, the paint)
Jeff,

What happens in that case is that the spring buckles. Depending on if you are on a level spot and how hard the door was pushed in, the spring will generally push the door back out. With additional force applied after the spring has buckled, the spring still remains attached (hooked) at either and it merely folds up neatly so that the door can be practically closed.....just not all the way. Your concern was a good point, but I believe that it is not a real issue with this setup.

Trust me, being the "anal retentive" engineer that Crystal accuses me of all the time, I tested out this set up pretty well, to see how it would react. That's I why I like it, particularly better that something much more rigid.

The key is getting the ends that you have cut to form a hook bent just right so that it actually takes a little bit of effort to put the hooks in place and to remove them.

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
Talking I see I will have to do that for mine too!

I like that look indeed...

BTW: Alex, I had forgotten how great your seats show up especially with the doors cracked open!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
I like that look indeed...

BTW: Alex, I had forgotten how great your seats show up especially with the doors cracked open!
Marc,

Thanks....my "silver buddy"! Believe me, the seat covers were the big reason why I was seaching for something to keep the doors propped slightly open. Got to show off those Katzkins!

You know, those 2-toned Katzkin seat covers would look just as good in your SSR!!! Hell, get the seat covers and then you'll have a reason to go buy the materials for the custom door props. Now that's some real logic for you!

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Jeff,

I might add that having the springs covered with the polyethylene tubing is not just for looks but for some added cushion/protection.

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 SSR Modified W/Love
View HALSSSR's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Alex>>>love your curious innovations

Alex: It seems we share a bit of the same creative innovative bug!
Had one question though,is the spring mechanism strong enough to resist any
opposite force against it,like if some jerk thinks they want to push the door closed? Looks great and still has your signature bling!

PS: Boy that velcro tape sure is handy,I had to use it to secure my gauge pod to the floor and put some on the side to hide the lousy factory installation of the gauge pod,or maybe it was the dealer,
anyway the gap between the console drove me nuts,so I used a piece of black door edge guard,to give it a finished look,not bad,better than a quarter inch air gap!

Last edited by HALSSSR; 03-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.
HALSSSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 asphalt black
View mike radovic's Photo Gallery
I told you Alex we should have done this thing E-BAY!!!!

Gangstar Mike:
mike radovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike radovic View Post
I told you Alex we should have done this thing E-BAY!!!!

Gangstar Mike:
Hey... I want to be first in line for one of those!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALSSSR View Post
Alex: It seems we share a bit of the same creative innovative bug!
Had one question though,is the spring mechanism strong enough to resist any
opposite force against it,like if some jerk thinks they want to push the door closed? Looks great and still has your signature bling!

PS: Boy that velcro tape sure is handy,I had to use it to secure my gauge pod to the floor and put some on the side to hide the lousy factory installation of the gauge pod,or maybe it was the dealer,
anyway the gap between the console drove me nuts,so I used a piece of black door edge guard,to give it a finished look,not bad,better than a quarter inch air gap!
Hal,

Come on now, it's very hard to cover all potential scenarios of abuse. It does take a reasonable push to get the spring to buckle. The spring is stronger in tension (pulling on it) than compression (pushing against the door).

If someone merely nudges agaist the propped open door, it will take it and stay in place. If some person leans against it, yes it will buckle. But as I mentioned to Jeff, the spring will fold up and no damage done as the door practically fully closes.

However, with the application of any door prop, I'm much more concerned that the prop will securely hold the door and prevent it from swinging further outward. That is definitely a no no! This set up accomplishes what I want it to do, and it's cheap!

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 SSR Modified W/Love
Talking I expect perfection from you>>>>

Quote:
Hal,

Come on now, it's very hard to cover all potential scenarios of abuse. It does take a reasonable push to get the spring to buckle. The spring is stronger in tension (pulling on it) than compression (pushing against the door).

If someone merely nudges agaist the propped open door, it will take it and stay in place. If some person leans against it, yes it will buckle. But as I mentioned to Jeff, the spring will fold up and no damage done as the door practically fully closes.

However, with the application of any door prop, I'm much more concerned that the prop will securely hold the door and prevent it from swinging further outward. That is definitely a no no! This set up accomplishes what I want it to do, and it's cheap!

Alex
Actually I was thinking if you used a telescoping tube with holes for a lock button to stop into,it could be used by many show car applications,you definetly have a great idea there and yes,in most scenarios your gizmo will suffice,just teasing
you cause I can and you are gracious about it!
Rock on with your creations!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Actually I was thinking if you used a telescoping tube with holes for a lock button to stop into,it could be used by many show car applications,you definetly have a great idea there and yes,in most scenarios your gizmo will suffice,just teasing
you cause I can and you are gracious about it!
Rock on with your creations!!!
Hal,

Thinking's one thing, doing is another.

Follow through with your idea and lets see what it looks like. There's always room for improvement.

BTW, at a cruise-in last Saturday when I "unveiled" these door props, a friend of mine with a customized Ford Ranger pickup truck was intrigued by them. So I let him borrow one for a minute to try it out on his truck. He came back with a big smile on his face and said it worked perfectly on his truck as well. He told me that he was on his way to a Lowe's store after the cruise-in to buy him a couple of "door props".

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet #11012 born on 04 June 2004
View artsmart's Photo Gallery
great idea

Another purpose would be to create a barrier while showing your ride. Keeps all the folks tempted to crawl inside at a distance
Old 03-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 SSR Modified W/Love
I am a idea guy,always have been....

Quote:
Hal,

Thinking's one thing, doing is another.

Follow through with your idea and lets see what it looks like. There's always room for improvement.

BTW, at a cruise-in last Saturday when I "unveiled" these door props, a friend of mine with a customized Ford Ranger pickup truck was intrigued by them. So I let him borrow one for a minute to try it out on his truck. He came back with a big smile on his face and said it worked perfectly on his truck as well. He told me that he was on his way to a Lowe's store after the cruise-in to buy him a couple of "door props".

Alex
Just sharing an idea,with no disrespect for what you are doing,I am thinking(Arby's) no,,,, patent pending, my friend,your the engineer!

I hate Arby's,only ate there twice in my life and and had terible food?!The ad
is sure catchy though!! Now if that were me at the car show,I would have told him I can get you one tommorrow for X+cost ,does that work for you! However simple it may seem to you it has a worth and you deserve to pay yourself for having fun creating with your gift! Sometimes little things turn big
and big things turn little, you never know.Everything begins from one single thought! Capitolism is the life blood of our country! Love it!! Sorry,had a side bar episode of thought! It's fanatics like yourself that make this site so very fun for me! "Neccesity is the mother of invention" always loved that quote>>>>the words are inspiring in and of them self to me!

Last edited by HALSSSR; 03-08-2008 at 07:10 PM.
HALSSSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
I got an idea

This idea will save both time and money.

Leave door close and open the window.

You'll save time before the show 'cause you don't need to clean the side windows.

You'll also save money 'cause your Windex will last longer.

From the book "Dummy ideas from Triple R".

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
This idea will save both time and money.

Leave door close and open the window.

You'll save time before the show 'cause you don't need to clean the side windows.

You'll also save money 'cause your Windex will last longer.

From the book "Dummy ideas from Triple R".

Jeff,

Nice try, but I've got to go with some door props to show off the pedals, door sills, and those seat covers better. Besides, with the sides of the SSR being so tall, many young kids cannot see inside the vehicle. I would rather them be able to take a peak inside via the propped open doors than for them to be frustrated and lean up against my door trying to look over the top of it.

Alex
Old 03-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Door Props:

Quote:
Just sharing an idea,with no disrespect for what you are doing,I am thinking(Arby's) no,,,, patent pending, my friend,your the engineer!

I hate Arby's,only ate there twice in my life and and had terible food?!The ad
is sure catchy though!! Now if that were me at the car show,I would have told him I can get you one tommorrow for X+cost ,does that work for you! However simple it may seem to you it has a worth and you deserve to pay yourself for having fun creating with your gift! Sometimes little things turn big
and big things turn little, you never know.Everything begins from one single thought! Capitolism is the life blood of our country! Love it!! Sorry,had a side bar episode of thought! It's fanatics like yourself that make this site so very fun for me! "Neccesity is the mother of invention" always loved that quote>>>>the words are inspiring in and of them self to me!
Hal,

Don't worry about making suggestions. Besides interaction like this is how ideas can get improved or new ones started. I was just trying to encourage you to follow through with your idea.

Alex
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

My SSR:
Red 04 - Silver 05
View 3Rods's Photo Gallery
Smile Unintended benefit

At an out door show propping the door open discourages small folks from climbing on the running board to get a look inside.
Kids like to see whats inside especially if its nice on the outside.
3Rods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
View Mike in AZ's Photo Gallery
OK, King of Bling.......

Hey Alex,

I've been working on a set of solid steel, chromed door stays for about 4 months and will have the first set available for testing in 2 or 3 weeks. They are cut out to hook-lock into the door jamb fitting and have a pin that goes into the latch. Once installed, you can lock the door and set the alarm.

I need an anal-retentive chrome junkie to give me an honest test. Are you interested?????

Mikey

Last edited by Mike in AZ; 03-10-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003 #185 Customized
View SSR4DOC's Photo Gallery
Test Dummy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Hey Alex,

I've been working on a set of solid steel, chromed door stays for about 4 months and will have the first set available for testing in 2 or 3 weeks. They are cut out to hook-lock into the door jamb fitting and have a pin that goes into the latch. Once installed, you can lock the door and set the alarm.

I need an anal-retentive chrome junkie to give me an honest test. Are you interested?????

Mikey
Mike - That is a great idea. There have been some made by individuals in the streetrod industry for their personal show cars. How about one that holds the hood open at about 2 feet instead of having it wide open from the struts? I have added the strut kit to my 03 and don't want to display the SSR with the hood wide open? The strut force would hold the retaining part in place. It could utilize the factory hood prop mounting and support location when open?

If you need a test dummy.......I would volunteer if Alex is unavailable.

Tony

Last edited by SSR4DOC; 03-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.
SSR4DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Custom Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Hey Alex,

Mikey
Mike:

You've got me pegged, pal! One anal-retentive chrome junkie here who'd be more than glad to field test it for you. Bring it on!

Alex
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Custom Door Props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR4DOC View Post
Mike - That is a great idea. There have been some made by individuals in the streetrod industry for their personal show cars. How about one that holds the hood open at about 2 feet instead of having it wide open from the struts? I have added the strut kit to my 03 and don't want to display the SSR with the hood wide open? The strut force would hold the retaing part in place. It could utilize the factory hood prop mounting and support location when open?

If you need a test dummy.......I would volunteer if Alex is unavailable.

Tony
Tony,

Trust me....I'm all over Mike's concept like "flies on you know what"!

Alex
Old 03-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
View Mike in AZ's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR4DOC View Post
How about one that holds the hood open at about 2 feet instead of having it wide open from the struts?
Tony,

Give me a measurement of how high you want the hood. Measure from the top of the grill spear to teh corner of the hood. I'm guessing about 24"..??? or so??? I won't tell you how I'm gonna do it, you just gotta trust me. Send me a PM with the shipping address to get it to you in about 10 days.

Regards

Quote:
Mike:

You've got me pegged, pal! One anal-retentive chrome junkie here who'd be more than glad to field test it for you. Bring it on!

Alex

I knew you were too much of a junkie to resist. That's why I had already planned on sending you a test set.
I'll try to get a couple test sets made. One for you and the other for Tony. I shipped off the prototypes about 2 weeks ago and should have a package on my doorstep in a couple weeks with the production version. I've got your number buddy.

later

One of the "Blues Brothers"

www.simple-engineering.com
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
America Rocks
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
Very good idea Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.