Chevy SSR Forum banner

Engine cleaner

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  57vroom 
#1 ·
Has anybody used the various engine degreasers and cleaners? I have 65,000 on the Beast of which 13,000 were put on by me. The first owner had very poor hygiene when it came to doing the very basics. When I got her the air cleaner looked to be original which also explained why I was only getting about 10mpg. Anyway I want to clean the engine compartment and get the grime of the motor. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this task.:black:

#2 ·
simple green

Spray with Simple Green. Use a light water mist to rinse off. Keep it away connections, fuse box, etc. After it has dried use a vinyl spray (not one that contains oil, I won't mention names but it starts with an A.)

Jack

#3 ·
There's several way of going about this but I'd say first buy several cheap detail brushes and wash mitts you can throw away. Warm up the engine well enough, turn it off, cover with foil and rubber bands any electrical connectors and such, then spray the degreaser only on the soiled areas, stay away from hoses and belts if you can, let it dwell for a few minutes. Next fill a bucket with dawn dish soapy water and dunk the mitts and brushes in it. Scrub away, avoid the air filter from getting it wet, keep scrubbing till you're happy, gentle rinse or use another mitt with clean water to rinse down, then use a leaf blower to dry it all. Go back and clean the areas that were covered or just wipe them down.

If the hoses and plastics are badly faded try a good water based dressing diluted and wipe it all down. Should give just a nice dull luster, not too shiny.

Again, there's several ways of doing this so prob many paths lead to the same results.
If it makes any difference I actually do this for a living (professional detailing business) for the last ten years on high end cars and that's some of the methods of my madness. Not trying to advertise, just saying. ;)

#5 ·
Take your time. I removed the air filter box, plastic hood latch trim panel, engine cover and "rubber" tube from mine. I cleaned them with dish soap and a soft sponge to remove dust, dirt and routine build up.

On the paint- car soap and a sponge- same process.

On all the engine aluminum that gets oxidized with age- Dragon in GA recommended from Eagle- Alum Wheel Cleaner- the one that can only be used on UNFINISHED WHEELS- it cannot be used on anything else- it's strong stuff- it will discolor black plastic and white spot it.... however it took 11 years of oxidation/dirt/etc right off. I also used a small Dremel moto-tool and SS wire wheels that you can buy in Harbor Freight and cleaned up the alternator, front/top of the "throttle plate/intake area" etc.

Looks like it was brand new last spring in Maggie Valley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.