Good News for LED Lights, NO RESISTORS NEEDED!!!! - Chevy SSR Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
Good News for LED Lights, NO RESISTORS NEEDED!!!!

So I've read several times in several places that some LED lights require splicing in Resistors if those lights are used for turn signals.

We all know of the Novita LM486/487 Flasher module but what is never mentioned is if you need to splice in Resistors even if you have the new flasher module??? I've asked some about this without a clear answer.

Well I ordered the LED taillight, LED front turn signals (in the grill) and the LM486 Flasher module.

I installed the taillights first and sure enough they hyper flash, as well as the front turn signals, so I installed the flasher module and now they all work as intended both front turn signals and rear lights/turn signals. NO RESISTERS SPLICED IN and NO HYPERFLASH!!

I did not, repeat, did not splice in any resistors or mess with any wiring at all. Just plugged in the flasher module and plugged in the new LED lights.

I'm very happy about this cause I don't like messing with wiring and splicing things together.....

So much faster and easier this way.

Josh

Do what's right not what's easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Update on the front grill park/turn signal LED lights.

I'd say that's a noticeable difference.
Driver side LED and passenger side OEM.

How bright the turn signal is on it's own.

With headlights on.

flamminnanner06 likes this.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Rear tail lights.....

I'll get some better pics at night so you can truly see the difference as it is also very noticeable but not too bright so it's blinding people.

It took me a while to find the right LED rear lights so they're much brighter then OEM but not too bright that they blind people yet bright enough when the brakes are on, so you can tell the difference between brake light and regular tail light.

OEM in full daylight

LED in full daylight

Passenger side LED, driver side OEM.

Both LED's installed just regular light output.

Blinker LED light output shown on the passenger side. Driver side is normal LED light output.

I'm very pleased with the light output but will get better pictures at night time tonight and post up those results.

Josh

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Caretaker of MaxSSR

My SSR:
2003 Redline Red 11,000 miles
Garage
That looks fantastic! I too prefer to avoid splicing and such. I am unfamiliar with the set up you purchased. Do you have the link to a web site or store I can locate exact same set up? I also would be interested in learning more about the HID headlamp system you have. Thanks.
Joshvette likes this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's

My SSR:
'03 Smokin' Black #1369 all options/'04 Slingshot w trick Flames Boyd Coddington Wheels
Garage
Now you need to do the back up lights, and license plate lights. I did, plug and play and the back up lights are white brighter than the fogs! 84 LED's in each back up light!
flamminnanner06 and Joshvette like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Each day is a gift" "Enjoy the day!"
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaCraig View Post
That looks fantastic! I too prefer to avoid splicing and such. I am unfamiliar with the set up you purchased. Do you have the link to a web site or store I can locate exact same set up? I also would be interested in learning more about the HID headlamp system you have. Thanks.
I pretty much get them all off Amazon, JDM lights mostly, you will need the Flasher Module though to keep the main turn lights from hyper flashing.

The HID's are Kensun 55W 6000K color, I did pull the Daytime Running Light fuse though as they did interfere with the DRL's.

I'm considering putting together a LED light kit for SSR fanatics with every single light converted to LED's except for headlights and fog lights as I believe HID's are best for those being as bright as they are and used for night time vision HID's just reach out further distance the LED's.
Jerry, HUAW and IndianaCraig like this.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 Gordy View Post
Now you need to do the back up lights, and license plate lights. I did, plug and play and the back up lights are white brighter than the fogs! 84 LED's in each back up light!

Actually did those a while back. Went through about 3-4 different reverse lights to find the brightest ones.

The license plates are good too.

Check out these back up lights......

It lights up much brighter then this pics gives it credit....

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 PM

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
Congrads on the discovery. Sorry I did not see your question about resistors. The LM486 (the one used for SSR LED conversions now), is used to eliminate the need for resistors when using LED bulbs, but will still work normally with the original Thomas Edisons.
mikebike and Joshvette like this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrtruck View Post
Congrads on the discovery. Sorry I did not see your question about resistors. The LM486 (the one used for SSR LED conversions now), is used to eliminate the need for resistors when using LED bulbs, but will still work normally with the original Thomas Edisons.
My question about needing resistors if you use the Flasher Module was in the form of PM's, not public, but no one really answered it so I just tried it to see for myself. No biggie.

I had a feeling if one installed the flasher module there'd be no need to splice in resistors. Very glad that's the case.

That's why I posted these findings/results so more could buy LED's for the front turn signals that might not have thinking they had to splice in resistors.
Jersey red likes this.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Update as I was just out driving to check to make sure everything works properly I parked in the driveway and turned the lights on and I noticed the front parking lights are so bright the turn signals are barely noticeable at all.

However when the lights are not on at all and just the blinkers they blink very very bright and nice but with all light on the front blinkers are just not that noticeable so guess I need to do a little more RnD for a better two stage LED.

Josh

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:08 PM

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
Josh what bulbs did you use for the back up lights I would like to change mine?

David
Joshvette likes this.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBittman View Post
Josh what bulbs did you use for the back up lights I would like to change mine?

David
Do you have the Flasher Module already??

Here's a link to the tail lights I bought but you will need the Novita LM486 flasher module for them to work as turn signals.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
Josh the link is for the tail lights which I already have and the flasher which I got through the Diktator. I am looking for the right white light for the backup.
Joshvette likes this.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Nation meet in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
I pretty much get them all off Amazon, JDM lights mostly, you will need the Flasher Module though to keep the main turn lights from hyper flashing.

The HID's are Kensun 55W 6000K color, I did pull the Daytime Running Light fuse though as they did interfere with the DRL's.

I'm considering putting together a LED light kit for SSR fanatics with every single light converted to LED's except for headlights and fog lights as I believe HID's are best for those being as bright as they are and used for night time vision HID's just reach out further distance the LED's.
Have you given any thought to getting a list going for those of us going to the TX run in October where we can have them available for install? I know I have wanted to do this for long time. Just a thought with you being so close I am guessing you will be there.
Joshvette likes this.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Josh the link is for the tail lights which I already have and the flasher which I got through the Diktator. I am looking for the right white light for the backup.
I'm sorry you did say back up lights, I read it too fast and thought tail lights.

Here's a link to the back up lights, there a little pricey at $30 but I think they are the brightest I've ever tested so far and well worth it.

There is actually a dim and bright setting depending on which side you install it. If one side looks brighter then the other, take out the dimmer one and flip it 180 degrees and put it back in and it will be brighter.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTown Truck View Post
Have you given any thought to getting a list going for those of us going to the TX run in October where we can have them available for install? I know I have wanted to do this for long time. Just a thought with you being so close I am guessing you will be there.
Actually the thought has crossed my mind and I'm currently in the process of talking to the "powers that be" about presenting a full conversion LED kit for the SSR for every exterior light with the exception of headlights and fog lights as they can mess with the DRL's and I don't want to do that.

If allowed the kit will include:

Novita LM486 Flasher Module $40
Rear Tail Lights LED's $20
Rear Side Marker LED's $15
Front Side Marker LED's $15
Front Park/Turn Signal in Grill LED's $27
Reverse Back Up LED's $32
License Plate LED's $5

If need be I will help you install them.

I can also offer full interior LED's light kit:

Vanity Mirror LED's
Glove Box
Both for $10 total.

Roughly $154 for exterior LED light kit.

$10 for full interior LED light kit.

Of course lights can be chosen individually if you already have some LED's or Flasher Module installed so keep that in mind.

I'll probably be starting a thread in the coming months with more specific info and taking orders so I can get a head count.

I've personally installed all these LED lights on my personal SSR and absolutely love them.

Josh
Jerry likes this.

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:26 PM

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow
Josh thanks for the link to the backup lights I did order them. I will let you know after I put them in how they work.

David
Joshvette likes this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvette View Post
There is actually a dim and bright setting depending on which side you install it. If one side looks brighter then the other, take out the dimmer one and flip it 180 degrees and put it back in and it will be brighter.
Put both in, if one is dimmer turn it around.
If both are the same turn one around.
If it gets dimmer turn it back.
If it gets brighter, turn the other one around.
Joshvette likes this.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Put both in, if one is dimmer turn it around.
If both are the same turn one around.
If it gets dimmer turn it back.
If it gets brighter, turn the other one around.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Josh thanks for the link to the backup lights I did order them. I will let you know after I put them in how they work.

David
Awesome, hope you like them as much as I do. Follow Bruce's advice for best results.

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Without further ado, I give you the "night pics"......

Camera flash was on, but I think it shows a good comparison between the two.

Like I said significantly brighter then OEM but not blinding to rear traffic. This is just the normal tail light output.

Driver side LED vs OEM passenger side.

No flash from the camera on this one.

From a distance.

A little further. Notice the nice glow the license plate LED lights put on the ground.

Sorry no brake light pics as its' just too hard to capture with a camera. The red just drowns out everything else and honestly doesn't give an accurate idea of what the brightness is.

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Josh, Ever since you joined our fanatic family about a year ago, your willingness to share the things that you've learned is greatly appreciated by all of us! Keep up the good work and I think there will be many of us that will be looking to purchase the LED package in the near future! I think I want to do that headlight change as well.
DOOPHUS and Joshvette like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAW View Post
Josh, Ever since you joined our fanatic family about a year ago, your willingness to share the things that you've learned is greatly appreciated by all of us! Keep up the good work and I think there will be many of us that will be looking to purchase the LED package in the near future! I think I want to do that headlight change as well.
Thanks, I'm really enjoying playing with my SSR and improving/upgrading the various parts as I'm able. Very much inspired by Dicktator, Texasbeahr, RiverRat, Jerry, Topspin and all the others I forget the names to right now.

The HID headlight kit is one of my favorite upgrades so far, the light output and look is just night and day compared to the OEM headlights.

I can include HID headlights in it all, it's just a different deal with the DRL's being affected. I had to pull my DRL fuse so it wouldn't mess up the HID's and not everyone will want to do things like that I think.

Josh
DOOPHUS likes this.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
Just an FYI for those thinking about the HID kit listed and as mentioned to Josh before. The Kensun 55w HID kit, like most cheap after-market kits are not legal for use on public roadways and have a legal disclaimer on Amazon...... They are for "off road" use only...... They do not have FMVSS 108 certification and will glare/blind oncoming as well as traffic you are following. Opening yourself up for a lot of liability and possible/probable tow. The SSR headlight assemblies were not designed for the arc placement of HID nor diode placement of LED replacement bulbs.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Wow that looks great
Joshvette likes this.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
Just an FYI for those thinking about the HID kit listed and as mentioned to Josh before. The Kensun 55w HID kit, like most cheap after-market kits are not legal for use on public roadways and have a legal disclaimer on Amazon...... They are for "off road" use only...... They do not have FMVSS 108 certification and will glare/blind oncoming as well as traffic you are following. Opening yourself up for a lot of liability and possible/probable tow. The SSR headlight assemblies were not designed for the arc placement of HID nor diode placement of LED replacement bulbs.

Gary, what exactly makes those HID kits so "cheap" since you make that comment every time you talk about them? I'm curious what makes them cheap?

I appreciate and respect your insight and opinion and you're right about one thing, the HID kits are intended "for off road use" but to call them "cheap" is your opinion first off , they're $60-$65 (maybe that's cheap to you), but they work fine and seem to be well made and packaged, of the 3,004 reviews currently on Amazon they maintain 4 stars with 82% rating it a 4 and 5 out of 5 being the best.....

And secondly when correctly aimed the headlights do not blind anyone, that is a false accusation.

I've had my wife drive it in the opposite direction as me and they look perfectly normally like any other HID factory car.

Sometimes when cars hit bumps it can jiggle the headlights up and down real fast and that can flash in your eye's or when going up or down a hill, but that would be the same for any car and any type of head light system.

BTW I did not have to re aim my headlights. They look completely normal and don't blind anyone, why you continue to tell people it will glare and blind on coming traffic is besides me. You should drive opposite of my SSR and tell me if they blind you? I think you will be surprised.

Josh
HUAW likes this.

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Those lights look great. Part number for the back up lights is available at Amazon.ca, which means lower shipping costs for me.

Which part number did you use for the front turn signals?

I bought a set of the spider type brake light LEDs and the new flasher a couple years ago. Time to brighten the rest of the lights.
Joshvette likes this.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 PM

My SSR:
2005 Silver SSR
Garage
On the HID kit, what size? is required 9006 or?
Also I see the Kensun kit with 10000K is available a little cheaper and I like the blueish color, any issues with something like this?
Joshvette likes this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=03/14/2006 The Black Knight
Cool

Josh, I've added LEDs in several places on my truck already and really love them.

I hesitated though, when it came to going HID on my headlights. Truthfully, I can understand the concerns Gary has raised.

They are great lighting up the road ahead when you are behind them. To have them coming at you on a dark road at night can be dangerous IMO. I've had clowns come up behind me (in traffic) with headlights that were so bright I had to pull off the road and let them pass. I'm sure they could see very well. It also seems to me that more & more vehicles these days are "going bright".

I no longer drive at night & perhaps all this might have little to do with my personal circumstances but I do appreciate the need for caution.

==============
David

Joshvette likes this.

=========================================

Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasaero View Post
On the HID kit, what size? is required 9006 or?
Also I see the Kensun kit with 10000K is available a little cheaper and I like the blueish color, any issues with something like this?
I believe the headlights are H11 size.

The more blue in color you go the less visibility you'll have, remember the more white the light is the better the visibility will be and less white it is the less visibility.

I believe 5000K is the whitest with 6000K having a very very slight hint of blue in it. Most call it a pure white. 8000K, 10,000K through 15,000K and even higher will all be more blue or purple with less visibility.

The 5000K and 6000K color is typically what most manufacturers use for factory HID lights.

Also there is a 35W and 55W. The 55W gives you more visibility.

If you change it the DRL's will be effect and not play nice with the HID kit as the DRL's use a lower amperage and the HID's don't like that, they may buzz or hum and this can effect the HID's and shorten the life of the bulb. Just fyi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.