• 3 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By blueroadster06
  • 1 Post By sbubbaklein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
1gces14po4b108318
Angry Hail repair info

Wanting to know I've had my 04 for 6 weeks ...2 weeks ago I got clobbered about 4000 in damages..truck was in fairly pristine shape it now has a nick and scrape on hood also... (pretty sure the scrape can be buffed out) .. question ... has any one ever had hail repair done by having the dings carefully taken out... I'm thinking about using my local Chevy dealer... but I also have a great body shop guy I know... will my value stay consistent with no repaint ? Btw I'm pretty sure the drivers rear quarter panel has had some work (faintest orange peal in low light) also telltale slight amount of paint missing on the bolts of the gas door... btw it has just under 11,858...I'm the 3rd owner ( #1original owner(died) 3700k #2 son 11650k #3 myself 200 miles ... 1 BIG-OUCH.. nothing showed under car fax on damage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Daily driver 2004, Stock-as-a-rock 120k+ except Mike's fan, crossmember
Mine got hailed 6 years ago $3400, it is what it is. Find a shop that has a good PDR person, let them do what they can and fix/repaint what they can't. PDR is NOT a bad repair, my preference. As for diminished value? Worse has happened, it's just a darned car.

SSR's and mid-V8 Corvairs. >>
I guess I've never driven a "normal" car.!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Slingshot Rules!
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Big Ole Bummer, Mark . . .

Do you have a Dent Busters in your area?

No first hand experience or knowledge, however, I have seen some "after" results that looked amazingly perfect.

Good Luck.

Just Say NO To BBQ

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Did you buy it as an investment in your portfolio, or an investment in fun?
Fix it, drive it and enjoy it, along with the SSR community.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
I had $4500 damage on my Silverado from hail and a guy here named DR. Dent made it perfect. My wife's Pontiac had $2500 and another time $4000 worth of hail damage and he fixed that also both times. Both looked perfect when done. Usually they work the deductible into the bid some how. Good luck.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
The Roadster
I am with the others.... do your homework and find a good Paintless repairman. you find these guys usuall at the High end body shop....do not rush them......they will do a better job....
BLUMnM likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM

My SSR:
2005 Black with 6.0 and six speed. Found it in PA with 10,377 miles. Going to use it as my summer ca
Pdr

I love those guys. Very professional. As said before, do not rush them. It is a lot of work.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004-UV
Garage
Mark, just recently used Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) ....set up appointment thru local body shop...excellent work...large dent in the crease on the left front fender..
Good luck,
vp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow, 2005 Smokin Asphalt
Garage
I used PDR several year ago when I worked for Volvo. Was able to purchase my company car which was a Volvo 780 which retailed for over $40K with over $10K of hail damage for $11K and put $1200 into PDR. Ended up with $12200 total.

This was an aluminum body coupe built in Italy. PDR guy told me it was difficult and don't expect to use PDR again on the car.

Kept the car 2 years and sold it for $20K.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

2004 SSR, slingshot yellow, automatic, 113K miles, super clean, XM Direct, rear frame stiffener, ABS heat shield, spare tire kit, battery relocation kit, shift cable kit, console case, logo mats,
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
I had a great experience with a local hero called The Dent Doctor.

I had just fueled my SSR, and turned to put the nozzle back into its cradle. I had my phone in my right pocket, and as I turned, I accidentally caught the gas door. Put the nozzle back, and closed the gas door. It stuck out at a 30 degree angle, which was sickening enough. Then I noticed the 2 inch high crease the front edge of the gas door left in my rear fender. I was sick, because I keep my truck in pristine condition.

Called the dent doc, and he came to the house to deal with the repair. Talk about patience. It took him about 90 minutes, but when he was done, there was no evidence of my stupidity.

I was never so happy to pay somebody $150.

Every time I stare at my truck under intense lights looking for swirl marks, I marvel at his skill.

Hail damage can be more challenging due to access. The open areas are easy, but getting to the dents under some of the reinforcement areas is more difficult. If there are no access holes available, it may be necessary for him to drill into the reinforcements to gain access.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
I had a great experience with a local hero called The Dent Doctor.

I had just fueled my SSR, and turned to put the nozzle back into its cradle. I had my phone in my right pocket, and as I turned, I accidentally caught the gas door. Put the nozzle back, and closed the gas door. It stuck out at a 30 degree angle, which was sickening enough. Then I noticed the 2 inch high crease the front edge of the gas door left in my rear fender. I was sick, because I keep my truck in pristine condition.

Called the dent doc, and he came to the house to deal with the repair. Talk about patience. It took him about 90 minutes, but when he was done, there was no evidence of my stupidity.

I was never so happy to pay somebody $150.

Every time I polish my truck under intense lights looking for swirl marks, I marvel at his skill.

Hail damage can be more challenging due to access. The open areas are easy, but getting to the dents under some of the reinforcement areas is more difficult. If there are no access holes available, it may be necessary for him to drill into the reinforcements to gain access.
When I had our vehicles fixed the very first thing he did was take out all the lights front and back, the headliner etc. Then started repairing dents. Like you say certain areas you cannot reach. He had a glue gun contraption and he would glue a tool to the dent and actually pull it out and sometimes it would need a gentle soft hammering back in if pulled out too far. When finished he put everything back together and you could not see one dent. He was great. He had special tools that some of them he made and he let me watch for awhile. He also had special lights he shined on the car to see from every angle. These guys are good. I was very impressed.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Hail - damn, such a scary prognosis for the well being of our SSR's. I have record of several SSR's destroyed from hail damage
Accident - you have less than a second to contemplate
Hail - well crap - sometimes have hours to contemplate the possibilities

I was at a show up the Coquihalla, perfect weather going to the show, perfect weather at the show, but heard nightmare stories of multi vehicle accidents, vehicles sliding everywhere on the Coq between us and home.
The Coq is a BC Rocky Mountain Highway that is unpredictable, but I thought it was fine that particular day, and it should have been.

As I heard the stories during the car meet I got more concerned - decided to leave a little early, but monitored the cloud movement as I swayed through the mountains.
Honestly, as I approached anything that looked ominous, I was looking for tree shelter on the side of the highway and was quite prepared to drive off a 4 lane freeway to protect Kate under trees.

We don't have a big hail problem, but it does scare the dickens out of us!

Stupid first time owner - not knowing the sequence, lid down - gate shut - I did gate shut, lid down for a bit
Elbow dimples occurred before I sorted it out - dent pullers sorted it out beautifully

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 FPR Smokin Asphalt/Rocochet Silver Vin # 1GCES14H86B123533
Garage
Mark,
I've personally use a guy name Patrick a few times in the past couple of years. He's herein Kansas City. I'll PM you his number and mine.

Be careful what you wish for. My recently-divorced friend asked a fairy to make him desirable and irresistible to all women. She turned him into a credit card.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
With PDR it comes down to the person doing it. Don't always rely on the big dealers. The majority of dealers are driven by price, not quality. A high end body shop may be your best bet. Keep in mind they will take a cut, if your paying out of pocket.
There is only one valid certification for a PDR tech. You want to ask if the guy is a Vale Certified Master Craftsman. AGAIN Vale is the only independent testing certification out there. It was created for the insurance industry to verify tech's skill levels. Techs would show up at storm sites saying they could do PDR and would butcher cars. Now are there good techs that don't certify? Sure. But if you don't know the person, asking about there certification can be a indication of experience.
Me, 16yrs PDR... Vale Master Craftsman
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Then get your butt down here and fix Mark's truck. I'm sure he'd love to have you as a house guest.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:35 AM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Luke Price
816 694 1206
He's in KC
His father is renowned in the pdr industry. The apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.