User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
View thebear's Photo Gallery
hi new member needs a little help

Hi all long time reader..new member. Hopin to be new owner this Sat. Ok long story short SSR is a 2005 black have only looked at pictures so far and talked with the sales guy..but there is a damage report on carfax..rear damage said vehicle functional and no airbags. The R looks great will know better in person but question is the Chevy emblem on the back is black? Was there a body color emblem package or did someone just paint over it??
Thanks in advance for any help/advice....I know that it does have wood runners and body ccolored engine cover. Just a little upset seeing the black chevy emblem...
thebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline Supercharged 06 Pacific Blue/SmokinAsphalt 05 Redline 6-speed 06 Pacific Blue FPR
View ibjeff's Photo Gallery
Non oem. Either painted or replaced
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
Thanks...man...i dont get why you would paint over the emblem doing the repair...guess i should walk away from that one..knew the price was too good....still everything else on it looks great...confused? Most of lower priced ones have accident report on carfax..
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
SSR Den Mother

My SSR:
#23101,#23278,#23362,#23898,#4 Pace and "Hellvis"
View Thumper's Photo Gallery
I have seen some painted the same color as the truck to blend in. Personal preference. The emblem being the same color should not reflect on the work that was done.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Redline Supercharged 06 Pacific Blue/SmokinAsphalt 05 Redline 6-speed 06 Pacific Blue FPR
View ibjeff's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I have seen some painted the same color as the truck to blend in. Personal preference. The emblem being the same color should not reflect on the work that was done.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Clutch Killer

My SSR:
2006 FPR 6 speed Silver w/ Blue Flames by Juan Perlata www.airkolors.com
View waysouth6speed's Photo Gallery

Yeah, I agree with Thumper. The owner most likely wanted it painted black. If the truck looks okay you can always change it back (although I bet it looks good black on black). I don't think they are hard to find. Last I heard you can still get them easily.

Plays with fire....

Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
The Gold OEM emblems do not look right. Might have been painted black deliberately.
The stock emblems are around. I have a brand new F&R bowtie. Nor sure if I want to sell them.
XSELER8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
03 Black #1814
View MonkeyBars's Photo Gallery
I painted mine black to match the truck. I only painted the gold bowtie, not the silver trim around the gold, just to add a little detail. Did it to both front and back bowties.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super High Heel Moderator

My SSR:
'03 Custom Jet Black, Vin 1656 B-day 11/13/03, Modified
View LTs SSR's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Some people even take it off entirely.. just a design/style choice.

Go take a look at it.. .get under it and see what you can see with the repair they did... Heck, it might just a minor thing. My Dad's truck had some front fender and tailgate damage.. it was obvious cuz the paint was "off".. but nothing showed up on the carfax. So my best advice.. put some eyes on it.. and if its the one go for it..
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
If all you've seen is just pictures, then it possible the emblem is either black paint or covered in a dark carbon fiber film.
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jim & Claudia

My SSR:
2006 Black Asphalt 3SS Built 08/30/05 Kaminari SSR Wing & Airdam-Chinspoiler
View DSRUPTR's Photo Gallery
If the deal sounds to good to be true, it usually is. If there are no airbags something more than a fender bender occurred. New airbags are going to add the cost of atleast $2500.00 installed on the front ones alone. There are to many SSR's for sale now that are cherry, unless your looking for a fixer upper.
Then unless you are really lucky these trucks come with atleast one or more gremlins that are always messing with the DIC or electrical syatem.
List your location and maybe somebody close to you could help you check out the truck. Good luck
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

View Jake80's Photo Gallery
I bought a 2005 that had an accident reported on CarFax. Before buying it I had it checked by a good body shop that confirmed it had been repaired and there was no frame damage or alignment issues with body parts.
I agree with the statements made here. Mine had some issues to be addressed, however the price was good so I took the plunge.

If you want perfection then spend more for a low mileage car with a no damage car fax. Remember that not all accidents get reported on car fax.

Read the forum notes for the things to look for that might need attention.

Regards,
Jake80
Jake80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
Lots of great advice! Thanks so much. When i said no airbags..i meant it said no airbags deployed..it still has them..didnt consider that the badge looks better black..lol I think I will have to get eyeballs on it and under it... You all made me feel better about it.. Its 2 hours away from me..im going Saturday morning..ill report back..its in my price range and the SSR has been on my bucket list since the concept truck..used to keep a pic of one on the fridge...lol thanks again.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
one of the SoCal Nuts

My SSR:
#23198 06 Blue 3SS #375 of 532 - Birthday 12/21/05 - Took delivery 9/5/06 (2nd owner)
View BlueStreak's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
Lots of great advice! Thanks so much. When i said no airbags..i meant it said no airbags deployed..it still has them..didnt consider that the badge looks better black..lol I think I will have to get eyeballs on it and under it... You all made me feel better about it.. Its 2 hours away from me..im going Saturday morning..ill report back..its in my price range and the SSR has been on my bucket list since the concept truck..used to keep a pic of one on the fridge...lol thanks again.
As usual, you got a lot of good advice here. Just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE FAMILY and ask where you are located so maybe someone close can offer to check it and save you the drive, if you ask.

click to view
The Springfield Challenge

BlueStreak - One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
John and Suzie

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow #10274
View jls26m's Photo Gallery
Wink

I agree, list your location and let one of the members go look at it with you then you will know what you are getting into.

I bought mine used and wish I had know about this forum and all the great people willing to help...I might have walked away and looked elsewhere.

However that said I am VERY happy with mine regardless of the on-going projects it provides....Still going topless and grinning......

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul."

Douglas MacArthur
jls26m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003 Black vin 2620
View ChuckDuck's Photo Gallery
I feel like "Dimminised Value" on small claims is just another way to get a guy to drop his price. Is a newly painted quarter panel really a negitive and a new water pump a positive? I would however avoid buying a vehicle with say over $6k in damages because there will always be a squeek, rattle or drive a little sideways that won't be worth that drop in the price you got. There are companies that will tell you what the dimminished value is for a fee. Let me google that for you
ChuckDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
View Cash's Photo Gallery
Often very unfortunate, diminished value is a fact of life. I know of one instance of an SSR with an accident warning notice on the carfax where it was involved in a multiple vehicle "keying" incident. A police report was filed even though the damage was minimal, but because of the police report it was reported on carfax as an "accident or incident". Usually it just says accident so I investigated further, but many would just see the warning symbol and walk away. In that event it shouldn't affect the value, but it is a fact the accident reports affect saleability.
In most incidences you should be able to purchase a perfectly good SSR at a somewhat discounted value, however, you should also be prepared to potentially take your lumps as the Seller some day down the line.
As far as the black bowtie, I like them on the
If you wanted to PM or post the VIN I might be able to show you how much damage had been done originally as I may have a record of it.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
Hi Cash, thanks for the offer i put the vin on you profile page..should have just put it here...anyway Im excited going tomorrow....might be an owner.....think with my head not my heart. Easier said than done..lol
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
Hi Cash, thanks for the offer i put the vin on you profile page..should have just put it here...anyway Im excited going tomorrow....might be an owner.....think with my head not my heart. Easier said than done..lol
Although it has a few miles on it the asking price isn't too bad and It has a few nice options:
Chrome wheels
Gauges
Carpet and wood
Running boards
Windscreen

The seats look to have a little wear and there are a few little minor things here and there but it doesn't look too bad in the pictures. There are a few owners in the area, if you want some third party advice maybe post your location and someone might offer to cruise over there with you and check it out.

I would try to work a little more off the price since they have had it since August and more than likely it is getting near time to go back to the auction. It's been passed around dealers since June so maybe these guys are ready to deal. If they won't come off on price maybe they can offer up an in-house 0 deductible warranty deal for a few months or so. They were asking $22,000k for it a few months ago so they have come off quite a bit already, might not be any room left.

It needs a little TLC but good luck in whatever decision you make!!!!

There's a video walk around on Youtube, want me to post it?

Last edited by Dragon2U; 11-09-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
I received a message from the bear and checked out what I can - also will post information I can here without disclosing any confidences, as best I can.
I do not have damaged pictures on this one, which is a good thing.
CarFax indicates title is fine so damage should not have been extensive.
This was put on the market end of June, firstly $22.9, reduced to $21.5, now under $20k.

Here are some pictures:

hi new member needs a little help-broken-ssr.jpghi new member needs a little help-14p-note-inside-condition.jpghi new member needs a little help-bch.jpghi new member needs a little help-erk.jpghi new member needs a little help-gold-bowtie-front.jpg

Broken SSR - should be able to find
Chrome Wheels - make sure no rash - inside not real clean - maybe a case to paint inside black
Black Insert - has VXK - black boards, satin gauges and black eng cover insert
ERK - has carpet insert - ad says cargo net pkge but not shown - make sure it is there
Bowtie - Black rear, gold front - whichever but I would want them matching.

The ad says it is clean as they come - not so sure but if it measures out pretty well and suits your needs, it is probably a decent buy

Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Nice looking truck requiring some cosmetics, at least from ad pictures - should have a personal viewing or an inspection done IMO.

hi new member needs a little help-missing-cup-holder-erg.jpghi new member needs a little help-19677.jpghi new member needs a little help-side-view.jpghi new member needs a little help-black-rear-bowtie.jpg

Pic shows missing cup holder & satin gauges.
It seems from a comment earlier by thebear he was a little concerned about the black bowtie.
In this case, I would not be concerned about stock appearance.
If you buy it, do what you want with it and have fun!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
John and Suzie

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow #10274
View jls26m's Photo Gallery
looks like it might be mising the key fob....need that to open tonneau remotely

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul."

Douglas MacArthur
jls26m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
You all are amazing great stuff! Dragon & Cash thanks so much! I did notice cargo net listed but did not see it. I will be re-reading your posts several times and take some notes with me. My wife and I are leaving first thing in the morning..excited!

What about the key fob missing? What does it look like and where should it be? Do you mean like the normal remote clicker fob? Or is it something on the SSR?

By the way just a side note..I actually started and owned SSRFORUM.com way back before the vehicle was released not many people even knew what an SSR was.. anyway some serious life stuff happened as it does to many and I lost the site but the best advice I ever got was to always go forward in life...dont look back. So to finally be hopefully getting my first SSR all these years later is very surreal. I hope tomorrow is a good day!
Sorry for the ramble..
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
If its just the regular key fob..a lot of dealers keep them in envelope..till delivery....hopefully and hopefully a big envelope with a cargo net in it...lol
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
SSR Flight Simulator

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Flomaster, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
View Flying Dog's Photo Gallery
Wishing thebear the best on working out a great deal and finally getting the SSR!

RRRon & Frieda ---------------- ----On The Summer Side of Life, the older I get the better I used to be.
Flying Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dog View Post
Wishing thebear the best on working out a great deal and finally getting the SSR!
I'll 2nd that.
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
View DOOPHUS's Photo Gallery
GOOD LUCK, TheBear . . .

If it feels right, BUY IT, if not, WAIT for the next PERFECT SSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
I'll 2nd that.
I'll drink to that . . . almost 5 O'Clock too.

! ! ! ! ! !
Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
Thanks for the great advice and nice comments.. totally exhausted after the hunt the R in miami was well a POS sad sad sad the bumper had damage the paint was faded in spots...long story short when the door handle fell off in my wifes hand we had to go bye bye...lol then we looked at another in miami stange animal not one option on it but it said Dale Earnhardt Jr. On the dash?? Wierd? But with no options we passed.. So it turns out we end up at home and I knew there was an 06 at a dealer nearby naturally the most expensive of the bunch but with 39,000 miles on it. Well we pull in and its on the display stand out front and I laugh and say to my wife no way were going to get the F'in R on the grandstand they are way to proud of that one..lol well guess what it turns out I like Yellow... And after the practice dealer beat downs in miami we were able to find...I mean point out several problems with the vehicle..the power mirrors were not working and the torque gauge wasnt working and one headlight was out..so bottom line we got them to come down about 3 grand and honestly probably paid to much but hey its an 06 with 39,000 and it looks like a bannana! ..lol by the way I believe its fully optioned without wind block and no cargo net...they are gonna fix all the broken stuff btw and we should have her by next Fri.!!!!!!!" ok exhausted now and need a drink!!! Thanks to you all for being here for a newbee!!

Last edited by thebear; 11-10-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Well, sounds like it was a long day but it all worked out in the end. Congrats and welcome to the family. My first one was yellow, the second silver and now my ultra violet is my daily driver. They tend to grow on you
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 slingshot
It was actually our first time ever in any R and first drive and it was the most ear grinnin best feeling experiance except for well... You know.. and my wife felt the same way! As a former vette camaro ss owner....damn what a rush what great vehicle GM got this one right!! As a side note my grandad and dad both retired from chevrolet in flint mi. I could feel them smile with us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.