Chevy SSR Forum banner

Memorial Day

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jerryacheson 
#1 · (Edited)
Thank you to all of our brave Men and Women that served in what ever capacity they could, and especially to those that did not come home.

A friend sent this to me, I thought I would share it with you!

The Veterans Administration reports that approximately 430 World War II veterans die every day. Out of the 16 million veterans who served in World War II, approximately 697,000 were still living as of the beginning of this year.

As we prepare to celebrate another Memorial Day, it is a reminder for all of us to pause and be grateful for those who gave their lives in that great battle for freedom. The dwindling number of surviving World War II veterans is a reminder that we must never forget their sacrifices and we must make sure that future generations always remember what Tom Brokaw called “The Greatest Generation.”

Would that this Memorial Day were simply a time to remember the fallen veterans of past generations! Unfortunately, however, it is also a time to remember those who have recently died. Sadly, because war and terror rage on in our world, men and women who serve our country are continuing to give their lives today. For them, too, we offer gratitude for their bravery and service :flag

See less See more
#4 ·
A special honor goes out Sgt. Billy Friday, my Drill Instructor at Fort Leonard Wood in 1963. Sgt. Friday had just returned from Vietnam as a Special Forces member (a Green Beret). Never heard of that country until he discussed (lectured) it with us. Sgt. Friday was a true American hero, a USA Army career man and one helluva flag waving loyal American. Most likely risked his life for me and all of us SSRfanatics as he probably served 2 or 3 more terms in that jungle infested country since he was a "lifer" God Bless you Sgt. Billy Friday wherever you are and THANK YOU!!!! Bob Alexander - :ssr

#10 ·
Previous text was in response to the questions regarding Memorial Day vs. Veterans Day.

I would be remiss if I did not add my thanks to the families of those that sacrificed their lives for our freedom. The family sacrifice is great too. Thank you for your loved one's sacrifice. I wish you peace as you grieve your loss.

#13 ·
That's because the good guys were on both sides.;)
Since the Korean War helicopters have played a major role, along with highly trained medics, of saving people who would have surely died in earlier conflicts. The down side is people coming home more severely maimed needing a lot of help, but that's a topic for veterans day.

#14 · (Edited)
:flag The original intent for Memorial Day was to honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice, but today we need to appreciate those that sacrificed arms and or legs, brain injuries, disfigurement and on and on, we need to honor the wounded living as well as those that died. :flag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.