Chevy SSR Forum banner

Mikes's protector installed

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  SSR2006 
#1 ·
I installed Mike's hood emblem protector. Very nice part and does its job very well. I didn't have to paint it, black truck, just fine sanded and compounded a couple of areas and polished it black.

If you don't have yours yet, you need to get in line, he is shipping as they come into stock by oldest order.

Jack

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mike installed The Doophus's Chevy Hood Emblem Brace on Tuesday.

The "Peace of Mind" makes it worth every penny, and then some.

The "paint thing" is not very high up on the list since nothing much is visible except when the hood is raised.

#5 · (Edited)
Perfect fit! My first was damaged by the dealer so did not want to lose my backup hood emblem. Excellent quality compared to that other protector I had.

Edit: It came ready for prep and paint to match my truck. Got it sanded and used a couple of coats of automotive GM gloss black paint. Then finished with clear coat.

My appreciation is that it is a beefy protector and came pre drilled exactly for the mounting bolts.

#9 ·
The problem with the hood ornament is that usually mechanics pull down on it and it breaks off. Mike's hood protector is made of molded fiberglass and uses the existing 3 screws to hold it in place. I bought it and had it painted to match my R yellow of course and looks great. I also got the sticker for the inside of the hood which tells someone where to pull from the latch. It was one of my better investments instead of hundreds for a new ornament.

#11 ·
And the way the emblem is made the 3 plastic elbows that mount it are very thin where they contact the back of the emblem itself. It was a poorly designed casting in that regard. The extra material to make those spots significantly stronger would have been minimal.

#16 · (Edited)
Installed mine today.
I painted it black and it blends right in to the my black under hood. It fits perfectly and I mean perfectly!.

Another quality product from Mike in Az.

Fits like a factory OEM piece

#17 ·
Not wanting to bother Mike too much as I also know that he will make things right, I wanted to ask those who bought their protectors if theirs came like mine did. Please see images showing sanding on the opposite ends and the mounting holes not perfectly round. The sanding is not too bad if I decide to paint it but I am a little concerned about the mounting holes. A view of the protector on Mike's site do not show any of these issues. How about yours?

#18 ·
Not wanting to bother Mike too much as I also know that he will make things right, I wanted to ask those who bought their protectors if theirs came like mine did. Please see images showing sanding on the opposite ends and the mounting holes not perfectly round. The sanding is not too bad if I decide to paint it but I am a little concerned about the mounting holes. A view of the protector on Mike's site do not show any of these issues. How about yours?
Feedback from the first batch that went out caused me to test fit every single one of these on my spare Hood Emblem. In an effort to avoid pre-loading the delicate mounting tabs, I broke out my Dremel and modified some of the holes just a little. This modification will become immaterial once you install the part on your truck. The large washers that are part of the nuts will completely cover any irregularities. There is no compromise on the strength of the part.....

As for the sanding on the ends of the part......The areas at the ends are sanded thinner to make a more gradual transition at the tips...... This is being done for you by the person building them. He has an eye for smooth transition and does not hesitate to sand this area to make it conform to his intended shape. The part is pressure formed between two molds and must be trimmed by hand. Each one gets a little hand finish on each tip when it gets popped out.

Please note that this part is provided without paint. There was never any intent to have the raw fiberglass part meet standards of a fully finished black part..... I strongly recommend you do a little sanding prep before you put a couple coats of paint onto it.......

As always.... If you are dissatisfied with the part for any reason, just send it back and I'll issue a full refund..... No questions asked.

Mike

#19 ·
Mine came in with the same sanding marks and with the holes perfectly round. I lightly sanded the hole piece and then dry fitted it to make sure it all fit. I then brought it to a body shop that put several coats of yellow paint and then clear coated it. I then installed it and it was a perfect match and looks completely factory. To all SSR owners this is a must piece if you want to keep your emblem from being broken off. Mike great job as usual.

#20 ·
Mine had sanding marks

Mine had sanding marks at the end. I simply used fine grain sandpaper, the 1000 sand paper, finished off with rubbing compound and black polish. The part was never represented as "Ready to paint" or "finished" surface. The "finished product" looks better than the "OEM" finish on the underside of the hood it is attached too.
Jack

#21 ·
The washer on the the emblem attachments any possible imperfections. I must say it looks perfect once installed.
Do the light sand and test install and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

#23 ·
Great point, TLC5 . . .

Mike's Protector is located directly below / behind the Chevrolet Emblem at the leading edge of the hood.

The Doophus's is not visible while the hood is in the down / latched position and when the hood is raised, since it fits flawlessly, it is barely noticeable and then only if pointed out.

Once again . . . INEXPENSIVE PEACE OF MIND.

#26 ·
I finally installed mine today. I was going to have it painted silver but I decided to do a quick polish job on it and it came out pretty good. I still can see the the sanding marks on the ends so I will take them off at a later time and fine sand them and re-polish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.