Chevy SSR Forum banner

Open door and remove key

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dicktator 
#1 ·
When I park, remove key and open driver door the bell is dinging like I left the key in the ignition.

Has that happened to any of you.

thanks

Jerry

#4 ·
I am not sure I agree with "tumblers".

Switch is separate from tumblers, if key is turned to "off" then the switch contacts are poor/bad.

Lube tumblers is a good idea, just not sure that is problem.

Dicktator

1. Points inside switch, there are 5.
2. Brass "button" is the release for your KEY, Push in to get key OUT, if brass button is sticking, it may be making "Ding-Ding".
Battery goes dead, can't get key out, remove bottom half of steering column and push "brass" button, key comes out.
3. Switch A/C Delco D1426D is separate from tumblers/key.

Attachments

#5 ·
There is a small white connector on the top of the ignition key cylinder (ignition key alarm switch). It sends a ground signal to the BCM to tell it if the key is in or out of the ignition cylinder. The BCM uses this signal to determine if an audible warning is needed.

I believe that a pin in the cylinder tumbler mechanism is used to actuate the ignition key alarm switch, up or down.

Many GM cars of this era have a similar switch, some with pass/lock some not. Most of the vehicles experienced some sort of problems with the tumblers.

lube the tumblers, check the signal at the BCM for ignition key in or out, test the cicuit see page 8-443 in shop manual for schematic.

#7 ·
easy to investigate or prove. Open door with key in place. Chime will sound. Pull key a tad out and chime will stop if everything is o.k. I do this most times when getting fuel. Always with the window down. Don't trust the electronics. I had a Buick Reatta that would lock me out at will. BUILT in the same plant as the SSr.......Ghosts.........?

Birdmans

#8 ·
Just for info. Don't know if it is true or not. A lock Smith here told me never use WD 40 on lock tumblers. It collects dust and dirt and makes it worse in the long run. I had always used it in the past. He sold me a spray can of something called Houdini and it smelled like lemon juice. Very strong citrus smell. Seems to work fine. Like I said don't know if he was just selling me something but he said never ever use WD 40 on lock tumblers. Works for me. Anyone else heard anything like this?

#9 ·
I have been told by many locksmiths to never use WD-40 or other "oily" lubricants on locks. I have a little bottle of graphite powder (looks like a superglue bottle) and shoot a puff of graphite in as a lube. Ask for it at a lock shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.