Chevy SSR Forum banner

Ouch

1K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  flyboy 
#1 ·
Ilsa got rear-ended by a lady in a big SUV yesterday while waiting at a stoplight. Damage includes a dented tailgate, and two spots where bolts almost protruded through the bumper cover. I overheard the body shop estimator talking to his supplier about parts, and the conversation was predictable - there are no body parts available for the SSR except in the garages and sheds of private parties, and they aren't going cheaply. That means that they will be repairing the tailgate and bumper cover instead of replacing them - $2,300. The estimator seemed knowledgeable about the Slingshot's white undercoat, and included the extra work on the estimate. No car shows for awhile, I guess!

#4 ·
When the bodyshop fixed my truck, the rear fascia had a small dent from backing into a concrete telephone pole protector, in the middle of a parking lot, in the dark. :blush-anim-cl: But the front fascia had the whole corner pushed in, although not torn.

They couldn't find new replacements at first and looking for used ones wasn't going well, so they straightened the front using a low temperature propane torch, and made it like new with no filler. I was amazed.

When I picked up the truck, he pointed to the old rear fascia laying on the floor and said, "Take that, it's yours." I though it was silly, plus deep down didn't want to admit I might be stupid again, so I just took it to humor him. Now I realize his wisdom.
I pay closer attention to people like MikeinAZ, Greg Ducato, Ratical, dragon2U, Topspin, and others on this site who have been there, done that.

Hope it's just a bad memory soon, Achias.

#5 ·
Not to steal your pain or hi jack your post, but yesterday in a funeral procession a women ran right through the line of cars and we hit her. We have only had the used [srx] about a week? LIGHTS ON, FLASHER ON, AND FUNERAL STICKER ON THE WINDSHIELD........She said she had a green light?

Birdmans

#6 ·
You could gEt a fiber glass lower panel from mpd-1 and since the tailgate got hit why not do the tailgate to he is making the panel or whole tailgate with the Chevrolet inset like older stepsides had .... Make the lady payyyyyyyyyyy:mad2:

#9 ·
Sorry about your misfortune. I know it's got to be disheartening to say the least. We all feel your pain. Where I live, which is the arm pit of Texas, there are a lot of illegal Hispanics that probably do not have insurance and oilfield trash that are always in a hurry. So I always try to be aware of where I'm at and what's going on around me doing my best to not allow myself to become complacent. I'm always looking for an out and watching my mirrors. I have ran red lights to avoid being hit in the butt by someone on a cell phone.... Damn cell phones!

#13 ·
Sorry to hear the news.... Things could always be worse but I think I'd probably cry if it happened to me and my Hot Rod! :crying:

The suggestion by abadssr is a good idea! I really like the "old school" Chevrolet tailgate look! :thumbs.

#19 ·
Sorry to hear of another damaged SSR. Glad everybody is OK. I wounder how many SSR are still on the road? There is a body shop/garage in Tennessee near Pickwick Dam that has parts I have heard. Maybe a SSRFanatic near there can check for you.

#20 ·
Almost joined those who have been rear ended .Stopped at red light ,heard tires squealing, looked in rear view mirror ,saw a pizza delivery car closing fast!! Goosed the SSR [ran red light].Would bet the idiot was either on a cell phone or looking at the GPS!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.