Chevy SSR Forum banner

Password Scam?

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  RedHotSSR 
#1 ·
Received a email this morning wanting me to change my password for the site.

It looks like a scam and smells like a scam.

#4 ·
I received the same email today issuing me a temporary password and also in previous days when logging in I had a problem with the screen freezing. After receiving the email I did not click the link encase it was a scam. I went to the SSR Fanatic site and tried logging in with my usual password which didn't work so I used the temporary password given and was able to log in. I then went to User CP in the upper right hand corner. I brought up the menu and went to emails and password. Typed in the temporary given in the email and then typed in new password below that. Everything seems to be working fine now. I do not believe the email sent was a scam.

#6 ·
I have to agree now. Tried to sign in on my laptop and ended up copying and pasting the password they sent to get in. Went in and changed my password.

I receive so many phishing emails I'm always on the defensive.

#5 ·
It is not a scam... Autoforums had a data breach with all their members usernames, passwords etc. on some or ALL of their owned auto websites.

*You must go in and change your password.

NOTE: Some autosites are asking for a 10 digit password with a at least one CAPITAL Letter, and at least one lower case, at least one number and you must also pick out a -> !@##$%^&^*()_+

#8 ·
Really a shame what we have become as a society. If these online criminals spent as much time forming a valid business over grabbing my passwords they would be a valuable member of society in general. I had to reset my computer to the day I bought it and reload all my programs to get rid of a virus I picked up either on this forum or one of 2 others...don't know. Basically it locked my computer with a prerecorded message saying to call a certain number (supposed Microsoft #) to fix the problem. Instead I called a known Microsoft number to enquire. Microsoft told me for $100 they would fix it and provide security. I just decided to stay with McAfee and fix it my self. I'm really glad this forum was all over the problem and provide us with the info to counter some issues.

#10 ·
Really a shame what we have become as a society.
It's more than criminals. It's all people - it's the "I gotta have the 'new' thing NOW" mentality. Software development is pure crap these days. There is no debugging - just toss features in and dump it on the market. Every major vendor out there is guilty of ignoring issues promising that a fix will be in the next release - it's all lies. :mad2:

I'm a member on 4 different forums (I got 4 vehicles). 3 are owned by VerticalScope (AutoForums) and all 3 were force reset in the past 2 days. This one just happened to be the last.

#14 · (Edited)
OK, what a mess!!

Couldn't get in, they sent my temp Password, it worked.

Now go to "TOOLS" CLICK CP, left side menu, Scroll down to Setting & Options, Scroll down to Edit Email & Password.

Click on that.

It will ask for PERSENT PASSWORD.

THIS IS THE ONE THEY JUST GAVE YOU. (NOT YOUR OLD ONE)

Now you can edit your password, one you want.

BUT is must comply with the new guideline. Each one has RED X.

When you type in NEW password and do it correctly to the NEW format, ALL the RED X's will turn BLUE.

Now you can use YOUR Password.

Dicktator

#19 ·
Can’t get in SSR Fanatic.

Get them to send you Temp Password.

Click on Progressive Insurance to get Code.

Now type Password - Copy exactly!

Now in SSR Fanatic, go to “TOOLS” Click on CP.

Way left scroll down to “SETTING & OPTIONS”

Scroll down in setting & Options to “EDIT EMAIL & PASSWORD”

Type in the TEMP PASSWORD they gave you.

Then put in your password below,

FOLLOW THE INSTRUTIONS IN THE RED X BOXES.

If your password is good, ALL boxes will change from RED X to BLUE Checks.

Worked for me!

But I'm 80 years old!

Dicktator (GOOD LUCK!)

#20 ·
I did a "cut & paste" entered it into the sign in, got in, went to User CP, went to edit password, re-entered (temp password) and set up my NEW password, watching the colors change until all lines were GOOD, entered twice..... All is Good now...

#21 ·
Good morning finally. Been at this stupid computer since 6AM trying to log in. It was a nightmare. They sent me a new Password so I entered it. Denied. Entered it several more times , denied. Then tried my old password and on top of being denied I was out of chances and had to wait 15 minutes. Sent them an e-mail and they said try again. Same results. Finally gave up and went on a motorcycle ride. Just got home. Tried to get back on with negative results. Sent another e-mail and they sent me another new password and here we are. I guess because I am not a computer genius it only took 10 hours to get logged in, so good morning and soon to be good evening. Still laughing!!! Sort of.

#27 ·
It's those Chinese hackers AGAIN!! I have it from a very reliable source that they are working on launching a satellite that will disable ALL the SSR electronics / on board computers in the world.
Man this is getting really scary. Wonder if we can convert our Rs back to the old electrical systems before they launch that satellite. Where is James Bond we need him on this ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.