User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cantankerous SSR Caretakr
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
View river_rat's Photo Gallery
Plastic Tailgate Hinge covers

While working on wiring my trailer light connector this weekend, I noticed that the plastic boxes that cover the tailgate arms underneath the bed were both loose. Closer inspection of these covers showed that they were both broken where the plastic brackets hold them in place. Did a quick check at GM Parts Direct to see if these covers are available shows the left side lists at $78.00 and the right side is $417.00............ Are you kidding. I'll check with Byers or Rssrtoy to see if I looked up the right part but at that price, I'll have to attempt a repair first and determine what caused them to crack. Anyone else have these crack?
river_rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
UV SSR 141mph on the Dyno 262 RWHP My other SS is an HHR SS "The RED ROCKET" "Tuned by CJ"
View JimBob's Photo Gallery
Fix'em

I can do a lot of "fixin" for $500.00. JB Weld fixes a lot of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
While working on wiring my trailer light connector this weekend, I noticed that the plastic boxes that cover the tailgate arms underneath the bed were both loose. Closer inspection of these covers showed that they were both broken where the plastic brackets hold them in place. Did a quick check at GM Parts Direct to see if these covers are available shows the left side lists at $78.00 and the right side is $417.00............ Are you kidding. I'll check with Byers or Rssrtoy to see if I looked up the right part but at that price, I'll have to attempt a repair first and determine what caused them to crack. Anyone else have these crack?

a Bozo in Facepaint

Pm for info on Stainless Steel Air Dams
JimBob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
I DO WINDOWS

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
View REBEL's Photo Gallery
Talk to mr. young he is parting out a truck

here is a link to pm him. Tailgate
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cantankerous SSR Caretakr

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
View river_rat's Photo Gallery
I did have the wrong parts when I looked up these plastic covers. GM calls them "shields" (left & right) and they list for about $39.00 each. Still high for relatively small plastic covers but much more reasonable than almost $500 for the pair that I previously thought. I went ahead and repaired both covers trimming off the remaining broken edge of the mounting tabs. Then used aluminum angle and large flange pop rivets from the inner side of the cover to avoid interference with the tailgate hinge arms. The large flange rivets spreads the pull of the angle out over a larger area. Also used JB Weld between the angle and cover prior to tightening the rivets. If you have any moisture on the rear bed carpet near the tailgate arm slots or rust/corrosion under the bed rear sill plate, you may want to inspect these shields to make sure they aren't cracked or missing. They are located near the rear end of the frame rails and cover the tailgate hinge arms. Accessible from underneath the truck right up against the rear bumper cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic Tailgate Hinge covers-dscn4345_sml.jpg  
river_rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.