Chevy SSR Forum banner

Please Help with Convertible Top Pump

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Dicktator 
#1 ·
Good afternoon SSR citizens. My convertible top functions perfectly (full up & down cycles), and I have no cylinder or line leak issues. I do have a persistent small leak under my top pump only when it operates. I removed the plastic pump reservoir, smoothed a very small burr on the bottom lip of the plastic reservoir (for a good sealing surface), and installed a new reservoir "O" ring on the pump.
I reinstalled the reservoir and made sure the reservoir clamp was tight. My question is; do the top pumps have any internal seals that can go bad and cause a leak like this? Here again, the pump raises and lowers the top with no problem, so I have good fluid flow and delivery to all the cylinders. As far as I know, the plastic reservoirs are no longer available. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help. :ssr

#2 ·
I do not remember anyone discussing this issue, but if you check out this thread and update your profile, there might be someone near you who could help you out with a second set of eyes with this, or any other, issue.

#5 ·
Thank you for your reply. There seems to be a wealth of information on cylinder removal, replacement, rebuilding, and installation along with information on the hydraulic lines, but not a lot on the pump (or the pump reservoir, line manifold, & solenoids). I know that Dictator had a problem with his reservoir and commissioned new replacement reservoirs. I do not have a Service Manual on my SSR, and there are very few pictures of the pump assemblies or instructions on removal / installation. Hopefully someone may have had this problem and knows a solution. Thanks again.

#3 · (Edited)
Dicktator had a leaking reservoir on his roof pump and has commissioned some hand made reservoirs to be made. He is currently unavailable while he is putting together some DIY "how to" procedures for the Journal of Medicine. Hopefully he will be back on the site within the next week and could be contacted at that time to provide more insight into your issue. In the meantime, the following thread will probably be of interest.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/roof-hydraulic-pump-reservoir-pictures-192113/

I would also suggest looking to make sure the manifold where the 16 lines are attached to the pump is properly tightened (3 bolts) as well as the four valves (metal cylinders about the size of old radios tubes - 2 bolts each).

#4 ·
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I had a thin sheet of cardboard under the pump to see where it was leaking and it appears to be where the reservoir clamp and pump meet and perhaps at the rear of the pump. I will check the manifold where the lines come in just to be sure. I am not familiar with the 4 valves you mention (are they the solenoids you see under the electrical connector outboard of the reservoir / pump)? I wish we had some pictures (even from the shop manual) for pump reference. Thanks again for your time and assistance.

#7 ·
Gm found out that the clamp puts uneven pressure on reservoir. They recommend no clamp. BUT dictator :cheer:has found a new clamp that put even pressure all around reservoir. Your going to have to wait until he's back on his feet.

#8 ·
Thank you for the information on the clamp. I know there have been a number of issues with the original metal clamp heating up and melting / deforming the plastic reservoir. I would like to know more about the clamp that Dictator has found that puts equal pressure all the way around. This could be a solution to my problem. Thanks again.

#11 ·
GM released Bulletin to Dealers, "Do not use Radiator Clamp on Plastic". May "crack" plastic reservoir.

Obviously the Bulletin was AFTER the Reservoirs began to crack.

Roof Pump, as xoxoxoBruce said, is very, very reliable.

The Plastic Material used for reservoir becomes brittle, cracks or just won't seal.

I have a friend who owns a Plastic Manufacturing Shop, Food Grade, we were able to reproduce a reservoir 3 times as strong and 3 times as pliable but discovered the Radiator Clamp was still a problem sometimes.

Mike Moro aka Simple Engineering found a Clamp Manufacture that produces a clamp that gives 360 degrees even clamping pressure.

I have just a few out now in Florida and seems to be working fine, in fact, one was sent to a Florida Chevrolet Dealer.

My New Reservoir is a little larger than the OEM.

Dicktator

1. Pump Reservoirs, small one is OEM
2. You will find a lot of Sludge when you remove OEM Reservour.
3. This is the Hyd Oil for OUR Roof Pump. About $20.00 at Advance, AutoZone, PepBoys. You can pay over $50 for less than half this amount from a Chevy/Caddie Dealer
4. Pump Reservoirs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.