Chevy SSR Forum banner

replacing fan

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  SilverMo04 
#1 ·
After reading all the remarks about the original fan should i replaced the fan with mikes or get his The Pusher fan. The orig. Is working

#7 · (Edited)
My OEM failed at 17000 miles. (The average failure mileage is 37000 miles)
The cause of the failure was the motor brushes get stuck in the brush holder due to a dirt & carbon build up.
A temporary fix is to bang on the fan hub to loosen the stuck brushes.
I installed Mike's fan and was pleasantly surprised when I felt the A/C was actually colder coming from the vents.
Mike's fan is shrouded and moves much more air - this cools the radiator and A/C condenser much better.

#8 ·
My OEM failed at 17000 miles. (The average failure mileage is 37000 miles)
The cause of the failure was the motor brushes gat stuck in the brush holder due to a dirt & carbon build up.
A temporary fix is to bang on the fan hub to loosen the stuck brushes.
I installed Mike's fan and was pleasantly surprised when I felt the A/C was actually colder coming from the vents.
Mike's fan is shrouded and moves much more air - this cools the radiator and A/C condenser much better.
I have owned three SSR's. The radiator fan has failed on all three of them with low mileage on the clock. The first failure was at 500 miles on a brand new 03. Of course Chevrolet had no spares so they wacked it with a hammer and sent me on my way. Told me to do the same until they could find another fan.
Mike's fans have never failed me. They are built exactly how one would expect a cooling fan should be.
Dave

#13 ·
I feel your pain Quest, bought the truck in August so far replaced the following stepper motors, ignition switch, radiator support, cross member, shift kit, insulated heat shield by brake modular, new air dam, installed hood struts, and support struts for bed cover. The following done at dealers had 8 roof cylinders removed and rebuilt, roof support struts replaced, latch mechanism by windshield for roof replaced, and a/c motor recirculating air under dash fixed ( the dreaded thumping noise we all get) Thankfully I was able to get bumper to bumper insurance when I bought my truck, total for dealer work $5,000 cost me $200 deductable.
Next up trip to Jeremy for a super tune, mikes fan, make up a spare tire kit (used rim and tire with jack),repaint or powder coat rims and running boards and then some bling for engine compartment.
Would I do it all again Hell ya, if I had the room Id be looking for another one you cant beat the fun of driving around your SSR with the top up or down.

#14 ·
Quest, that is a good way to look at the money spent on your truck
We purchased our truck back in 04' and paid for it by making 'monthly truck payments' for the next few years.
The truck sat in the garage for the next 10 years.
Thanks to Ross1957, we got the truck out and started to enjoy the ride and permagrin. We also started making the 'monthly truck payments' again to pay for all of the upgrade parts and bling. Thanks Russ.
BTW. the ride and permagrin are priceless.

#15 ·
Holly cow! I've had my "R" for 7 years, bought it at 74,000, now have 128,000 and essentially had ONE problem, the guage pod circuit board burned up. The steering rack failed that was my fault (didn't replace a torn tie rod boot, that's a Trailblazer) Hope this note doesn't jinx me! Anybody have a guage pod circuit board? I will probably replace the junk factory guages as the board is not likely available anywhere.

#21 ·
Our “R” Has Been Blessed

Same here SilverMo; I bought the wife her 03 “R” (Yellow Thunder) in 2006 with 5,010 miles. As of today (5/21/2018), it has 56,345 miles and we have had the fan replaced, the ash tray latch fixed and recently the Roof Door Module (RDM) replaced. And I think the RDM wasn’t the problem why the roof wouldn’t operate cuz the windows worked fine. On August 21, 2018 we land in Tucson, Arizona (retirement) and will visit the “SSR God” Mike and install his fan and also the Aux fan ASAP. Yellow Thunder is getting up there in miliage (age) so I plan on visiting Mike’s kingdom and have more preventive maintenance done. I’m a very cynical person when it comes to businesses (especially auto mechanics) but I already have great faith and trust in Mike. In Mike I Trust.

#16 ·
Ssr help

Hi guys
Iam a fan of SSR
I have a 2006 SSR bought in 2006 as brand new , put 8000 miles on it till now , its giving some problems and need some help from you guys .

1-over heating while AC is on in summer during traffic , Iam reading about Mikes fan , from where can I buy it ?
2-Today I was going into reverse the car moved for one foot , then stopped and engine went off on its own, with gear stuck on reverse ?
any idea how to start the car again ,what might be the problem and how to solve it ,

#18 ·
I agree with ED on #1
#2 may also be the transmission linkage causing you to be stuck in a gear or between R and N or P. That can also be repaired by a part from Mike at simple-engineering.com or Dicktator.
If you can get under the truck-
make sure the wheels are chocked so it cannot roll either way & the parking brake is set.
go under from the right side and look at the transmission linkage. see this link for pictures

#19 ·
SilverMo 04, I have a Cadillac XLR that I keep in Southern California. I bought it approx 5 years ago with a little over 82,000 miles on it which to me is high but these cars are driven 12 months of the year . These are real problematic cars and I have never had a problem. It has been great. You are most likely in a similar boat with your SSR. Any problems were fixed miles ago. Now my SSR has 20,000 miles on it. I have ordered the radiator support, the heat shield for the ABS and the kit for the tranny. I told Mike when I get back to CA. in the late Fall I would be ordering a radiator. I have spent more money on this truck in one month than on my other car I've had for a number of years. So high millage can be a good thing.
John F.

#22 ·
Good luck with your retirement SSRMaineiac, I retired (part time now, not sure why) 2 months ago and moving the other direction to Florida in July. Unfortunately I sold The R for financial reasons but hope to find another one in the not too distant future. I figure they'll be more available in Florida, they're aren't many in Missouri, now Fanatic is having a darned national meeting here! In a place I've been to often! Now I have to fly back from Florida to go! Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.