User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 FPR slingshot yellow VIN 23542
View paulrlangevin's Photo Gallery
SSR problems and issues

Hi, all. I just joined because I have been searching for an SSR and would like to know what the known issues are and what I should look for. There seem to be quite a few out there with low mileage and well taken care of. A buddy, who thinks I should buy something else, said there were a number of issues with the vehicle: doors won't open, fuel system, intake leaks, water leaks, clutch pedel problem, wont return above 6000rpm.
paulrlangevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Aqua blur
View mike s's Photo Gallery
None of the things you listed are a problematic. But these trucks have their little quirks. 99% of the fixes can be found on this forum. Buy it, drive it and enjoy the permagrin.
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
YESSSR
View Jgrden's Photo Gallery
Paul, your friend is nuts. So far there have been answers to all issues. There are only two things I would do, and these aren't necessary, is to put Mike's fan in and carry a spare ignition switch. The enjoyment of driving one of these is insurmountable. Those that think the Corvette is the "bees knees" is just driving a production sports car of which you see so many that no one takes notice. The term 'permagrin' is for real.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrlangevin View Post
Hi, all. I just joined because I have been searching for an SSR and would like to know what the known issues are and what I should look for. There seem to be quite a few out there with low mileage and well taken care of. A buddy, who thinks I should buy something else, said there were a number of issues with the vehicle: doors won't open, fuel system, intake leaks, water leaks, clutch pedel problem, wont return above 6000rpm.
I've owned 3 SSR's and I would not hesitate to get another.

There are some water leaks if you take a water sprayer and blast the window seal area but I have rarely heard of leaks when daily driving.

The inside door handle does have issues on the 03-04 if you grab them hard and pull on them instead of using them to unlock and then push the door. There are replacement handle assemblies that will fix and prevent future problems. The issue doesn't happen very often though.

Some people do have clutch pedal issues in warm climates but most of the problems are eliminated with regular fluid flushes and using a high quality DOT fluid.

Fuel and intake issues I have never heard of. Like any early 2000 GM truck you may have issues with sticking instrument servos, there is a quick and inexpensive repair that will solve the issue for good.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
YESSSR
View Jgrden's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
I've owned 3 SSR's and I would not hesitate to get another.

There are some water leaks if you take a water sprayer and blast the window seal area but I have rarely heard of leaks when daily driving.

The inside door handle does have issues on the 03-04 if you grab them hard and pull on them instead of using them to unlock and then push the door. There are replacement handle assemblies that will fix and prevent future problems. The issue doesn't happen very often though.

Some people do have clutch pedal issues in warm climates but most of the problems are eliminated with regular fluid flushes and using a high quality DOT fluid.

Fuel and intake issues I have never heard of. Like any early 2000 GM truck you may have issues with sticking instrument servos, there is a quick and inexpensive repair that will solve the issue for good.
That is what I said. No issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
I sure love my Hot SSRod

My SSR:
Pearl over UV tu-tone - "PurLple" w/ custom billet rallye wheels/baby moons & wide whitewalls, 4:56s
View turnheadz's Photo Gallery
I'll bet your buddy has never owned one. JUST DO IT
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrden View Post
That is what I said. No issues.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
SSRDTZR is 4/S
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
I bought mine knowing there are issues but knew I would get support here. My clutch is an issue but can be replaced with an after market system. I have not had any other problems with the SSR .
Parts not always readily available but they do turn up.
You sound like you are really interested in owning an SSR. Keep shopping for that special one. There are some really nice SSRs for sale on this website.
XSELER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Born 2-19-04 Adopted 9-26-10 in Permagrin Yellow #5605
View Jerry226's Photo Gallery
Name just 1 vehicle of any kind that has no problems from 0 miles to the junk yard.They don't exist.I and my wife love driving the ssr and dont mind answering questions everywhere we drive it.We get pointed at, looked at,and so far no neg. comments.Drive one and see.If you don't feel the same way don't buy it.By the way Yellow is the fastest and prettiest ps never ask anyone about a vehicle that has never even sat in one that you are asking about.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Auto, 05 6 Spd, both Slingshot
View ZoomAddict's Photo Gallery
paulrlangevin the first thing to keep in mind is that the SSR has less issues than almost all of the popular limited production run vehicles. All you need to do is speak to folks who have owned others (ie the Prowler) to understand the SSR has no serious issues & is relatively low maintenance. If your friend believes otherwise he is uninformed or worse.

Reading these forums can be deceptive. We discuss the problems the SSR does have to death, and that is a good thing. That means that any problem you run across members here have had them and have posted detailed solutions (usually with pictures). This would also apply to most any upgrade you consider. Very valuable if you do more than "just drive it".

If problems are a big concern then you could also find one that is still covered by GMPP (the GM bumper-to-bumper warranty). If it is under 50k miles you can extend the warranty and then anything that happens to it GM will pay for roadside assistance, towing, and almost any repair needed.

paulrlangevin this group is also different than any car group I've run across. Almost without exception you'll find folks here easy going, fun loving & willing to help, all one need do is ask. Hope that this and the other responses here have quashed the perceived "problems" with the SSR. Most members are like me, they buy them & drive them tens of thousands of miles without major issues.
ZoomAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
one of the SoCal Nuts

My SSR:
#23198 06 Blue 3SS #375 of 532 - Birthday 12/21/05 - Took delivery 9/5/06 (2nd owner)
View BlueStreak's Photo Gallery
Paul, I have over 90k on mine and am getting ready to drive it around the country this summer on the way to Flagstaff. By the time I get home I should be pushing 110K. I have had no major issues that could not have been prevented by either paying attention to what is said here or what is in the owner's manual. Even those issues were fixed by GMPP. Buy one that suits your fancy and drive it and have fun. Come and play with the rest of us.

Use the SSR Parts Exchange It works for us all
BlueStreak - One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, Automatic
View sangus's Photo Gallery
Paul, I agree with all the above and one more factor to take into account is value. While most or all of us understand that automobiles are not really and investment (and that is not why we bought them), these will hold there value. I bought min 05 Redline Red almost three years ago for $25K. I believe if I chose to sell it today, I'd still get that $25K. Show me another car that can do that and I'll buy it too.
sangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

View MnMsToy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangus View Post
Paul, I agree with all the above and one more factor to take into account is value. While most or all of us understand that automobiles are not really and investment (and that is not why we bought them), these will hold there value. I bought min 05 Redline Red almost three years ago for $25K. I believe if I chose to sell it today, I'd still get that $25K. Show me another car that can do that and I'll buy it too.
I purchased my first SSR 05 for less than I sold it for when I purchased my current 6-speed

IMHO sometime between the years of 2014 to 2016 any low mileage SSR in excellent condition will reach it's lowest price point for resale...then the value will begin to go up. There were only about 24,000 produced and probably will not be produced again. Of course, only about 20% of the 05s and 06s were 6-speeds so they may actually go up in value faster than autos even though the auto is the most popular at this time. I am not suggesting that an SSR is a good investment because its not. There are better methods to invest but not many are as much fun to drive.
MnMsToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet
View SS ARE's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnheadz View Post
I'll bet your buddy has never owned one. JUST DO IT

After owniing an 04 for a year now with no issues do get one it is one fine ride.

SS ARE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 Ricochet Silver born 10/04, adopted 09/10
View Spohn3's Photo Gallery
Paul,
I've had my '05R for nine months. Started at 17,500 miles and now at 21,000. Going to add a four bolt cross member tomorrow. No problems to date and is a blast to drive and show! The fanatics are a great group of folks and the website is a treasure trove of information. Do not hesitate to seriously consider your own SSR!!!!!
Catman '59
Spohn3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Carolina Fanatic

My SSR:
2003 Asphalt all stock
View Meg in Carolina's Photo Gallery
No issues with my 03 that I could not take care of myself, with the help and guideance from this forum ~ except installing new hood struts..
Meg in Carolina is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Pac Blue, 6 spd., 3SS, 6300 miles, #22301
View ohhawk's Photo Gallery
I would guess that unlike most old car collectors or unique vehicle owners (and their respective websites) that SSR owners tend to have a larger % of owners who are not necessarily do it yourself mechanics thus they tend to bring issues (small ones included) to the attention of those on this board that do have the ability to offer good advice.

I wouldn't overreact to the number of postings about "issues" on this website. Seems like the more challenging ones are due many times to the fact that not many of these vehicles were made so not many people, including certified dealerships, have alot of experience working on these vehicles.
ohhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

View MnMsToy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg in Carolina View Post
No issues with my 03 that I could not take care of myself, with the help and guideance from this forum ~ except installing new hood struts..
Meg, your new hood struts are an upgrade . But, were you able to get your cargo cover open?
MnMsToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black Final Prod 6 speed #23387
View Flassh's Photo Gallery
I've been through 5 SSRs. Two were Signature Series, so very early production. Had an early production 03. Now have an 06 6 speed.

I have had no issues with any of them. Certainly no leakage problems with any of them. Never a fuel issue with any of them - I drove the 03 from North Carolina to the west coast without any problems. Doors not opening? Some of the 03/04 had issues with the design of the inside handle, which could break. Inner panels were re-designed and can be retrofit.

Clutch is really not an issue. Some of the early 05 6 speed experienced some problems, but through experimentation with insulation (some cases) or better fluid, most of the issues were resolved. I changed to a higher DOT fluid very early, and I have not had even an inkling of a problem with the clutch in 17000 miles.

Problem with clutch return abouve 6000 RPM? Simple fix - don't shift above 6000 RPM. I've never come close to that kind of RPM, and not sure I have missed any fun as a result.

Sounds like your friend is one of the many misinformed "I know everything about everything" folks out there who enjoy cutting down something they don't know anything about.

If you're unsure about getting one, this is the time of year to find out where a group is meeting, and take a trip to that event to talk to some owners.

Where are you from? Maybe we can find a gathering within range for you.

The friendships that start, and continue, because of the SSR are truly amazing. I have never owned a vehicle that creates such a stir, nor have I owned anything else that comes with an instant group of friends.

What is the alternative for a fun cruiser?? Corvette? Prowler? Viper? Pony cars?

I've organized an event in BC in late June for several years - we've had between 22 and 63 trucks come up, from as far away as San Diego and Galveston - just to meet other SSR owners and do some cruising.

I don't see how you can go wrong getting one. We can help you with details about the differences between model years so you can decide what is important to you. Informed decisions are usually good decisions.

You'll find lots of help on this forum, through almost any possible failure.

Where else can you find, at a reasonable price, a pickup with a hardtop/convertible, lots of storage space, V8 power, reasonable ride and handling, and the joy that comes with driving one. Once you get behind the wheel, and look out at those massive front fenders, then look back through your sideview mirror at those rear curves, then listen to the awesome sound of even a stock exhaust system, you'll be hooked.

I think you need an SSR and a new better informed buddy. You might even convince him he needs one as well.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

Last edited by Flassh; 06-06-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Flassh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 Redline Red, Automatic
View sangus's Photo Gallery
Very well said, Flaash.
sangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 FPR slingshot yellow VIN 23542
View paulrlangevin's Photo Gallery
Thanks for all of the encouragement, folks!!! I really don't need much. I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and looking mostly in the USA for an '05 or '06 with 6 speed trans. My color of choice is yellow, but I also like the red, silver and pacific blue. I am trying to find a one-owner with low mileage. I have found 6 of interest 3 yellow, 2 silver and 1 red. The yellow one I am looking at now is in Gaithersburg, MD with 6500 miles. Anyone near here that can do some investigating for me? I won't hesitate to take a trip down but want to make sure it is worth my while first.
paulrlangevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

View mccunn's Photo Gallery
Dude,

Did ya get an SSR into Ottawa? Not the right town for it (I'm from there) but been rocking my 04 SSR since new out in SoCal. Would be a great ride for getting out of Ottawa & up to the lakes in summer

Cheers

John

Quote:
Thanks for all of the encouragement, folks!!! I really don't need much. I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and looking mostly in the USA for an '05 or '06 with 6 speed trans. My color of choice is yellow, but I also like the red, silver and pacific blue. I am trying to find a one-owner with low mileage. I have found 6 of interest 3 yellow, 2 silver and 1 red. The yellow one I am looking at now is in Gaithersburg, MD with 6500 miles. Anyone near here that can do some investigating for me? I won't hesitate to take a trip down but want to make sure it is worth my while first.
mccunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver w/skunk stripes Dyno @ 128mph, 4.10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N, port/polished throttle
View Dicktator's Photo Gallery
Just turning 90K on my 04.

When Mike Joy from Barret Jackson bought an SSR and joined our Site, we quired him about mileage and value.

He said "They are collector cars, drive them, no one worries about mileage".

(That may not be verbatim but you get the point).

Anyone buying a Collectible Car to restore, doesn't look at mileage.

Dicktator
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 Smokin Asphalt!!! License = SS RRRR
View stutide's Photo Gallery
Quote:
I may be the exception but I have had a 2005 Smokin Asphalt since new and it has NEVER been in the shop for ANY reason? I even bought the extended 5 year warranty on it and have never used it. I LOVE this truck as much now as I did in 2005. AWESOME truck to drive. I only have 3600 miles on it but when I do drive it I absolutely love it!
stutide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #25 (permalink)
Growing Older but Not Up

My SSR:
04,Straighr duals,3G spoiler,4.56,K & N Cold Air Kit,General UHP
View big-daddy's Photo Gallery
tell your fiend to buy a Camry.
Other Rides-
08 F150
06 Mustang Convertable
12 Camaro SS convertible
big-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Blue/Black - 1SS
View rkenly's Photo Gallery
The only gas "issue" I've had, is that every time I get in it - the gas guage is always lower than the last time

seems my son drives it when I'm on business travel - "to keep the battery charged for me".

So maybe it's a battery problem - cuz he never drives my other 5 cars to keep up the battery...

#3 of 9 Factory - Pac Blue / Smokin Asphalt
rkenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 Slingshot Flames, 5"Tips, Spare Tire Kit, H Struts, Colored Boards, DVD, Loward F&R
View 240 Gordy's Photo Gallery
A big part of owning the SSR, is this SSR Fanatic Website which is our "party line" that keeps the fun of ownership. Our little group here in Edmonton Alberta Canada have been told by both Corvette Owners and Camaro Owners that no other vehicle is so close knit. They envy us SSR owners. It doesn't matter where you travel, if you run in to an SSR Fanatic you have an immediate bond. I have been invited to fly to far away places and the Fanatic has told me, "you can drive my truck"! How many other Car/Truck group folks would offer you up to drive their ride? Being an SSR Fanatic is like being part of a family!
240 Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
View ttarob's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 Gordy View Post
A big part of owning the SSR, is this SSR Fanatic Website which is our "party line" that keeps the fun of ownership. Our little group here in Edmonton Alberta Canada have been told by both Corvette Owners and Camaro Owners that no other vehicle is so close knit. They envy us SSR owners. It doesn't matter where you travel, if you run in to an SSR Fanatic you have an immediate bond. I have been invited to fly to far away places and the Fanatic has told me, "you can drive my truck"! How many other Car/Truck group folks would offer you up to drive their ride? Being an SSR Fanatic is like being part of a family!
You got that right !!! A VERY large family !!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

View nbaum's Photo Gallery
ssr problems

dicktator, In regards to Mike Joys comments about not being concerned about putting miles on the vehicle. I don't agree. I would say we won't live long enough to get the SSR to that point! Original low miles examples always sell better and for more money. I would say with few exceptions the owners of the SSR's now are not collectors. I own several 1962 Thunderbirds (50 years old) and the low miles originals go for a premium. I also own several Cadillac Allantes, The low mile Allante's are what sell for good money. How long do you think it will be before a person buying a SSR will be buying it to do a total restoration?
nbaum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.