• 6 Post By penny pincher
  • 1 Post By 05 SSR
  • 1 Post By Joshvette
  • 2 Post By Guzzi Guy
  • 2 Post By river_rat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Black 05, 21,000 miles, automatic, most options, Had black wheels REMOVED now chrome.
What is a fanatic?

I recently posted on another thread regarding my concerns/fear of roof cylinder failure and the lack of anyone within several hundred miles to fix it. A non fanatic would read into this that I just don't trust local mechanics and am too particular. A real fanatic would know that the issue is not a mechanics knowledge, but the periphial damage to my vehicle. For example I have a friend who owns a diesel motor repair shop. He has several employees and has a very good reputation as an expert. I am sure he would pull and replace the roof cylinders if I asked him to. BUT I NEVER WOULD. I know my black beauty would come back with a perfect working top but the paint would be scuffed up on the sides near where they worked. They would likely have had all their tools spread over the bed cover and probably eaten lunch with their lunch boxes sitting on it. To a fanatic how our babies are treated is as important as getting the repair made. It is not just this SSR but I have had other classic cars that needed repairs. I was a wreck just waiting to see what harm was done while getting some needed repair. As you can see I am a true fanatic or maybe just need counseling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I would say you have the bug you may have to buy a spare R to drive while one being worked on..........
Joshvette likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 PM
DFW TX Crew

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow SSR
You're good, I was getting my inspection done the other day and noticed the guy who sticks nozzle machine in the fuel door squeezed in between the wall and my R to fit it in and I was like "geez really" probably scratched the side all up with his jeans but I'm not going to be a jerk about it cause I know they will think we are all that way..... plus I know a pretty good detailer who can handle it.

Josh

...... hey post 1,001
RedlineRyder likes this.

Do what's right not what's easy....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I always walk around the R with the service adviser/mgr. explaining the cargo cover closing sequence, the need to use the hook when closing the hood and the need to be very careful opening the doors since the door handles can be fragile. In addition if possible I try to keep an eye on the vehicle while they're working on it either through a "customer lounge" window or walking around to the service bay doors and looking in.

Fanatically Paranoid? Probably.

Dave
DOOPHUS and Joshvette like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
WAY TO GO, Penny Pincher . . .

Exactly why The Doophus has only been serviced / cared for at Watson Chevrolet since Day One.

Also, NO Car Washes . . .

! ! ! ! ! !

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
penny pincher
Welcome to the world of being a Fanatic or is it Fan-addict. Most of the Fanatics around here think I'm a bit "Faniacal" or maybe a lot "Faniacal".

DOOPHUS
Isn't Wilbur (Doophus) getting a little dirty without any Car Washes?? Oh you mean Automatic Car Washes.....
DOOPHUS and QUICKSILVER like this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny pincher View Post
As you can see I am a true fanatic or maybe just need counseling.
Of course you need counseling, that's what the family is here for.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
Does anyone use a Nanny cam to keep an eye on what happens in the shop?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike - mikebike in Surrey BC Canada Licence plate MY SSR
2006 SSR Auto SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER
Build Date: 03/02/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Smoken Asphalt, HP tuned, FlowMasters, TransGo Shift kit, 411 Gears, Mikes Aux Fan
I just found a shop here in Fort Myers that is cleaner then some restaurants I've been to. I've had the R there twice this year and informed them of the special quirks of the R. No problems with this shop. Before I decided to have them work on the R they gave me a behind the scenes tour of the shop.
Cars waiting to be worked on ran from a 24 Studebaker to a new Bentley. Also in the enclosed waiting room were 4 different cars that were 1 of 200 built models.
When I pick up the R after the repairs, it's always cleaner, inside and out, than I dropped it off. They even detailed the engine and under the hood for me.
I always look the R over under the hood and a walk around inspection before I leave the shop. The first time I did this they thought they screwed something up. I explained to them why I was doing this walk around and they were not offended, they even continued the walk around with me asking questions about the R as well as explaining other problems they have experienced with the 5.3 engine.

I must say I have a very comfortable feeling with these guys. Hunt Automotive is the name of the shop in case you need a repair in the Fort Myers area.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I'm about 150 miles away but if the shop is as good as you say they are it might be worth a drive over there.

Thanks for passing that along.

Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
One of life's bigger pleasures is finding someone you can trust your truck to. They are often more expensive because they take the time to be careful and do it right instead of, 'aw, close enough'. It's worth it!

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.