User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 redline red
View docmotors's Photo Gallery
2005 battery replace

i just took my 2005 out of winter storage and the original battery has pretty much had it.any recomendations on good replacement battery? book just says battery under car any precautions? can i do it at home ? does anything have to be reprogramed? my wife passed away last spring so the car just sat in storage since fall of 2010! but ready to get back cruzin now! any recomendations on collector car insurance drive it less than5,000 mi a year
docmotors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 RedLine Red 6-Speed w/ 4.56 and PCM of PA Tune, purchased new July 4th, 2005
View Kruser's Photo Gallery
Batery replacement

I replaced mine and just used a floor jack to support and lower the battery box when i released it... did not have to reprogram but you wil want to have the widnows all the way down so that you don't have to re-index them

AutoZone in our area will do the install for $49
Kruser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
I replaced the original 06 battery last week with an Interstate.
XSELER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

View jimbo53's Photo Gallery
Just replace my original 06 battery today after I put in Mike spare tire kit with a Duralast.

later Jim

jimbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 Red 6 Speed.
View 3blackSSR's Photo Gallery
I think the interstate megatron is for the money the best battery on the market. They will last and last. Also, if they die, they take a charge really well.
3blackSSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline, 456 Gears, Street tune, Flowmaster 50, Eibachs, and lots of Mike in AZ's goodies.
View shakemyhand's Photo Gallery
The battery is the heart of your truck so don't buy a cheap one............Spend the money and buy the best. Remember, you get what you pay for and besides that, you only have to replace them every few years.
shakemyhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
I sure love my Hot SSRod

My SSR:
Pearl over UV tu-tone - "PurLple" w/ custom billet rallye wheels/baby moons & wide whitewalls, 4:56s
View turnheadz's Photo Gallery
replaced the Optima, we put in 6 years ago, with another Optima. My battery is in the back truck box in a retro cooler. A vent hose runs down along side the cables. I did this in '06 because we installed a spare tire underneath, the first SSR to ever have one under there
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver Bullet
View coltfanatic's Photo Gallery
when my orignal Delco goes bad will replace it with another Delco, have a 04 w/ 42000 batt. is still real strong.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Racy Aqua Blur 6spd Chromed/SS front Tuned/ported by Jeremy
View Beach potato's Photo Gallery
Talking Tire Kingdom free install of battery - GEICO fo insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmotors View Post
i just took my 2005 out of winter storage and the original battery has pretty much had it.any recomendations on good replacement battery? book just says battery under car any precautions? can i do it at home ? does anything have to be reprogramed? my wife passed away last spring so the car just sat in storage since fall of 2010! but ready to get back cruzin now! any recomendations on collector car insurance drive it less than5,000 mi a year

Lots of battery info in the 'search' feature. I got a new battery after 5 years just because. Not going to take a chance. May I offer GEICO for you, My Corvette and SSR costs me $465.00 for 6mos. A big handful of coverage and I dont use either for work, just pleasure so its classified as low mileage and with AARP discount, over 55 discount and $500 deductable. I get a great deal. AND I can tell you that when I banged up a Lrear fender, GEICO guy met me at the best body shop in town and I had the SSR back the same week and perfect condition. Didnt raise premiums.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
View DOOPHUS's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakemyhand View Post
The battery is the heart of your truck so don't buy a cheap one............Spend the money and buy the best. Remember, you get what you pay for and besides that, you only have to replace them every few years.
Excellent advice, Mike!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
View ssrtruck's Photo Gallery
Not sure on battery brand, but Grundy Insurance is the best value for the coverage.
ssrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slvr born 11-19-04, Flowmaster Cats, Borla Dual Exh, K&N Filter, Vette servo, custom tune, lowrd.
View Donaldo7's Photo Gallery
Optima Redtop.
Donaldo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Maybe Grundy hs changed but when I had them its was too impractical to be under so many restrictions for yearly mileage, storage, mods that are not covered, etc, they also were being bought out by different companies during the year I used them. Maybe they have settled down. GEICO doesn't load all those restrictions on me and 2 cars for $450.00 is well worth the Excellent service they have given me for many years.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

My SSR:
Sadly sold '03 RED vin1337, '06(lastoneinblack) vin 24107..Sadly sold '04UV,'05SILVER,'06PACBLU FPR
View ssrtruck's Photo Gallery
Grundy has three levels of insurance now, based on stated use of covered vehicle. Stated value is very important to have on the SSR. They have coverage for daily drivers or trailer quenns alike.
ssrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Thumbs up Thats more like it

I have Garage Queens for sure, thanks for the update on Grundy. Sounds like they are a good direction to investigate. ( I thought Haggerty was a rip-off).
Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 silver SSR (#22680)
View Rob L's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Excellent advice, Mike!
Could not agree more, and if you live in either extreme cold or heat (south Florida for example) it is even more critical to buy a high quality battery.

I'm very interested doing the spare tire / battery relocation modification. Any thoughts on how difficult that job is for a fair but not great shade tree mechanic? I see Mike in AZ has a kit at Simple Engineering, but the web site doesn't have any detail on the kit or install, and Mike is out of pocket for a while, as I recall. ??

Also love the idea of the vintage cooler and seem to recall a thread on that with pictures but can't seem to find it. Terminal old timers disease... Would love to see pictures of what others have done.

Last edited by Rob L; 04-21-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 red and white pearl two-tone and 05 blur with chameleon ghost flames and Magna charger.
View LITEMUP's Photo Gallery
I just spent a month looking into auto insurance and getting quotes. I must have gotten a quote from and spoke with every insurance company in the state of Florida. We ( my wife and I ) have 4 vehicles. I was paying almost $1,200 every 6 months with progressive. I was able to drop that to $900 every 6 months with century 21. They were far better than Progressive, Geico, Haggerty, Allstate, Nationwide just to name some of the ones I received quotes from.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Rob L you can come over to Orlando and have Dinner With Mike and Debbie and Florida chapter SSR Fanatics. May 5th, 2012- and ask him about the spare tire install. Have you used the Search engine above for spare tire details? I just did and saw lots of photos for help. I have seen many ways to skin that cat over the 6 years I have been here but sometimes the search thingy does not find something I had posted within 6 months. Comb thru the Forum sticky's, Good luck.

Mikey says-
...'' recommended spare for fitting the SSR is a 225/65-17 mounted on a Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada/Reineer/Ascender 17x7 wheel. This is a compromise size. It is a little taller than the front tires and a little shorter than the rear tires. The "6 on 5" bolt pattern is identical, since they use the same undercarriage as the SSR... If the customer decides to install my spare tire kit at some time down the line, this is the best tire and wheel combination to fit under the back of the truck.

Trust me, this will take up less space inside the bed of the truck than either of the stock wheels and is a LOT cheaper. You should be able to get one of these wheels (road wheels are all alloy, spares are all steel) for about $50 from a recycler and a new goodyear tire is about $120.....''

My best regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

Simple Engineering

Last edited by Beach potato; 04-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Beach potato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Pac Blue, 6 spd., 3SS, 6700 miles, #22301
View ohhawk's Photo Gallery
Recognize there is a real difference between "stated value" policies and "agreed value" policies. People often think they're one and the same.

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/CI...reed_Value.pdf

Agree value policies are reserved for those vehicles that are driven very little. They are restrictive for a reason......the company is assuming the risk of providing you an upfront agreed value on your vehicle in exchange for your limited use of that vehicle.

Stated value is more common and available but as noted in the article it doesn't guarantee a replacement value. Many agents (outside of the collector car / specialty ins.) don't really know the difference either and thus might give you erroneous info. The written policy rules.
ohhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.