User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 AQUA BLUR
View Hoppypar's Photo Gallery
AM/FM Reception

After installing an Alpine HU, radio reception got worse. I know about the windshield antenna issues. But has anyone installed a fixed antenna outside?
Hoppypar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just a voyeur now...
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur #17661 - until Sept. '07
View Bluish's Photo Gallery
Cool What I did

Go to this page, then scroll down to the "Hidden Antenna"

http://goldenrodtronics.com/electric...#hiddenantenna

Then, all you have to do is figure out how to get rid of the original antenna. If you do, PLEASE let me know how!
Bluish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
slingshot yellow 05' #16651 Born on10/15/04
View Yellow Tub's Photo Gallery
GREAT idea !!!

Where did you hide it? Is it just wound into the dash void?

Bruce
tub
Yellow Tub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just a voyeur now...
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur #17661 - until Sept. '07
View Bluish's Photo Gallery
The little box part is at the top of the windshield, just to the driver's side of the rear view mirror wiring.
Bluish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 AQUA BLUR
That is a great idea. It is something I have started to look in to. I'm also looking at an outside mount antenna (http://www.hirschmann-car.com/Englis...e/index.phtml).

High end antennas used on Mercedes and BMW.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Highest Mileage Moderator

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256, License Plate was WOW FCTR
View WOW_FCTR's Photo Gallery
Found out something this morning....

Well after driving more than 100,000 miles in my SSR you'd think that I would have noticed this before now....but I didn't

This morning I was listening to the radio and remembered that I had not charged my cell phone last night. So I plugged the cell phone into the car charger....and guess what? The radio reception went to crap
I pulled the cell phone charger out and the signal got good again?!?!?!?

So for some reason charging my phone interferes with the radio reception.
I wonder if others have noticed that using one of the 12v power ports causes radio reception to diminish.....
2003 Black SSR #1256 1sb

100K miles (02/04/07)....
150K miles (10/22/08)
175K miles (3/2/10)
200K (6/9/11)
225K miles (2/1/13)
235K miles (10/5/13) 2005 SSR bought
WOW_FCTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt '59s
View m/c hauler's Photo Gallery
AM/FM Reception

"I wonder if others have noticed that using one of the 12v power ports causes radio reception to diminish....."

Yup, sure have. I'm hoping it gets better after the dealer replaces my windshield.
Same type of problem with my rf ipod adaptor.
m/c hauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 AQUA BLUR
AM/FM Reception

I have just gone through 3 months of issues with the radio reception. Even tried the RodTronics antenna. It actually got worse. I had an Alpine IVA-W200 unit installed previously, but yesterday they replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC-D3. So far (just one day) the change has been amazing. And we found the best reception with the window antenna. My next step would have been a hard wired antenna (maybe a fin type) mounted outside.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

My SSR:
SSR 04 PEDIGREE SSR Photo History w/ 1st Aux. Gauge Package released for Production. #9684
View Marc NY's Photo Gallery
Post TSBs - Trouble Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppypar View Post
... And we found the best reception with the window antenna. My next step would have been a hard wired antenna (maybe a fin type) mounted outside.
Here is a TSB on the SSR radio reception for those that might want to see it and review it.

Document ID# 1209605
Chevrolet SSR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radio Poor Reception
Diagnostic System Check - Entertainment System

Always perform the Entertainment System Diagnostic System Check before proceeding with these diagnostic procedures. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Entertainment System .

Using a Test Antenna
Use a test mast antenna to quickly check for poor vehicle antenna operation. Unplug antenna lead-in connector from radio receiver and plug a test antenna into radio. Make sure the test antenna base is grounded to the vehicle chassis and keep hands off the mast. Check radio reception in an area away from electrical interferences. Tune to several weak and strong AM and FM stations. If the radio reception improved, the problem exists with the vehicle antenna and/or lead-in cable. If the reception is still poor, refer to Audio System Troubleshooting Hints .

Antenna Ground Test

Important: Always zero out the DMM before taking a resistance measurement in order to ensure an accurate reading.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disconnect the antenna lead-in connector from the radio receiver.
Measure the resistance from the negative battery cable to the coaxial cable, outer conductor, connector.
The resistance measured should be 0.20 ohms or less.
Test the following when the resistance is greater than 0.20 ohms.
- Base of the antenna for a poor connection to body ground.

- The coaxial cable interconnects for a poor connection or corrosion.

- Test for an open or high resistance from the battery negative cable to the body. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

After finding and correcting the condition, operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Antenna Coaxial Cable Testing
Use the appropriate chart and diagram to test the antenna coaxial cable resistances for the antenna system on the vehicle. Refer to the table when testing the antenna and/or lead-in cable.

FIGURE Mast Antenna System(c)
*see attachmemt photo at bottom of reply

(1) Negative Battery Cable
(2) Coaxial Cable Conductor - Radio End
(3) Coaxial Cable Metal Outer Shield - Radio End
(4) Coaxial Cable Metal Outer Shield - Antenna End
(5) Coaxial Cable Conductor - Antenna End
(6) Antenna Base
(7) Antenna Mast
(8) Antenna Coaxial Cable
Ohmmeter Probes At Points
Resistance Measured In Ohms

1 and 3
Less than 0.2

1 and 4
Less than 0.2

1 and 6
Less than 0.2

1 and 2
Infinite

1 and 5
Infinite

1 and 7
Infinite

2 and 3
Infinite

2 and 4
Infinite

2 and 6
Infinite

3 and 4
Less than 0.2

3 and 6
Less than 0.2

3 and 5
Infinite

3 and 7
Infinite

Important: Always zero out the DMM before taking a resistance measurement in order to ensure an accurate reading.

Measure the resistance from the coax center conductor to antenna mast, ohmmeter probes at points 2 and 7.

Total resistance from end to end of center conductor-ohmmeter probes at points 2 and 5:
- RG-58/RG-59 type cable -- less than 0.20 ohms per foot

- RG-62/RG-62M type cable -- less than 3.5 ohms per foot

When checking the resistance, cautiously wiggle the lead-in tip and cable. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.
Replace the antenna and/or lead-in cable when the above readings are not obtained.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1209605
Chevrolet SSR
__________________________-

Document ID# 672608
Chevrolet SSR
Audio System Troubleshooting Hints

Many conditions that affect radio operation may be corrected without removing the radio from the car. Verify the condition, and follow the diagnostic procedures in order to isolate and correct the condition. In order to properly diagnose any audio system problems, ensure that you have a fully charged battery.

Preliminary Inspections

Important: When testing the audio system for poor reception or noise, the vehicle should be outside away from metal buildings and utility lines, with the hood and rear compartment closed.

• Check for any aftermarket equipment that may have been installed on the vehicle. If aftermarket equipment is found disconnect it and check if the audio noise is still present.

Inspect that the antenna connector and the antenna coaxial cable are clean and tight.

• For reception concerns, first determine if the customer is within the listening area of the stations they are attempting to receive.

• Stations at the lower end of the FM band are more susceptible to audio noises than stations at the higher end.

• If the noise is only from one speaker check for the following before speaker replacement:

- Isolate the noise using the J 39916-A CD and Cassette Diagnostic Audio Kit.

- Inspect the speaker connections to ensure they are clean and tight. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections .

- Inspect for a loose or incorrectly installed speaker or surrounding trim. Loose trim can cause a buzz or flutter which sounds like a malfunctioning speaker.

• Ignition noise on the FM band may be an indication of an ignition system problem.

• Inspect that all vehicle grounds are clean, tight and free of corrosion.

• Inspect the rear defogger grid lines for large breaks or dark spots.

• Inspect the connections at the radio antenna module if equipped, to ensure that they are clean and tight.

• Compare the customers vehicle to another of similar model and audio system to determine if the condition is abnormal.

Identifying Concerns

In order to isolate the source of the noise/poor reception, identify the ignition switch position that the concern is most noticeable:
1.1. Turn the ignition switch to the accessory position.

1.2. Turn ON the radio.

1.3. Seek up 88-108 FM then 550-1600 AM.

1.4. Record the number of valid radio stations where the tuner stops.

1.5. Repeat these steps with the ignition ON, and the engine OFF then again with the engine running.

Return the ignition switch to the position that the concern was most noticeable.
Remove fuses or circuit breakers one at a time until the noise has been eliminated.
Identify what systems or components are powered by the fuse.
Reinstall all fuses and circuit breakers.
Disconnect the components powered by the fuse one at a time until the concern has been eliminated.
Corrective Action
• Inspect the ground integrity of the component or system causing the noise.

• Malfunctioning and marginal components such as relays and solenoids may cause noise and/or poor reception.

• Always use a braided ground strap when applying additional grounds and keep the ground strap as short as possible.

• If the noise source is found to be coming from the vehicle harness:

- Route the antenna cable separately from the wire harness that is emitting the noise.

- Use aluminum or nickel tape in order to shield the antenna cable. Try variations of the following repairs:

• Try adding only aluminum or nickel tape before adding a ground strap to the tape.

• Wrap a ground strap 360 degrees around the tape, securing the other end of the strap to chassis ground.

Important: When installing suppression devices, signal wires such as sensor and communication circuits should not be suppressed. Battery and ignition voltage circuits are the best choices for suppressing.

• Capacitors work best on switch pops and low frequency noise.

• Filters work best on high frequency whines and static.

• After adding any suppression device, inspect all of the vehicle systems including those not related to the audio system, for proper operation and function.

• Whenever possible, make a test harness that includes filters or capacitors. Always inspect the effectiveness and operation before permanent installation.

• If an audible pop is caused due to operating a switch, perform the following repairs as necessary:

- Add a capacitor across the contacts of the switch.

- Add a capacitor from the battery positive voltage (B+) side of the switch to chassis ground.

- Add a capacitor from the ground side of the switch to chassis ground.

• Use the following available noise suppression devices:

- 220 micro farad (50 V) capacitor GM P/N 1227895--Works well for ignition system related noise.

- 0.47 micro farad capacitor GM P/N 1227894--Works well for switches and relays.

- Feed through capacitor GM P/N 477371--Works well for high current situations.

- Filter package GM P/N 1224205--Works well for low current situations.

- Fuel pump suppressor GM P/N 25027405

- 21 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 8910791

- 19 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 6286800

- 10.5 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 6287160

- 8.5 inch braided ground strap GM P/N 12091511

Generator Whine Concerns

Inspect the ground terminal and cable for high resistance.
Inspect the generator and brackets for loose or coated mounting bolts.
Inspect that the ground straps between the engine and the frame are clean and tight.

If the noise is still present, inspect the charging system for proper operation. Refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Engine Electrical .
Install a filter GM P/N 1224205 in the battery voltage feed circuit to the radio.
If the noise is not eliminated, install the filter in each following variation:

• Install the filter with the single wire side toward the radio and the ground wire attached to chassis ground.

• Remove the ground to the filter.

• Reverse the filter so the 2-wire side is toward the radio with the ground wire attached to chassis ground.

• Remove the ground from the filter.

If the filter GM P/N 1224205 causes a delay when turning the radio ON or OFF, or other problems, remove the filter and install a 0.47 micro farad capacitor to chassis ground.

Before reassembling the vehicle, remove any unneeded filters.
Test the functionality all of the vehicle systems including those not related to the audio system, for proper operation and function.

Document ID# 672608
Chevrolet SSR
Attached Thumbnails
AM/FM Reception-ssr-radio.jpg  

Marc NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
KWB

View KWB's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW_FCTR View Post
Well after driving more than 100,000 miles in my SSR you'd think that I would have noticed this before now....but I didn't

This morning I was listening to the radio and remembered that I had not charged my cell phone last night. So I plugged the cell phone into the car charger....and guess what? The radio reception went to crap

I wonder if others have noticed that using one of the 12v power ports causes radio reception to diminish.....
I haven't noticed the same issue, but will check the next time I am out on the road. I usually have the radar detector and phone plugged into the two front outlets when I am out on the highway.
KWB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
View ssr71's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW_FCTR View Post

Hmm.... can't say I've noticed this either... then again, I rarely ever listen to radio anymore.
ssr71 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.