#1 ·
Pic of broken part ??
Anyone got one??
:cool

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, Left side, Driver.

Couldn't get his door open, came to Dicktator's garage, Tony, Jim Greeley helped to get it open.

I have a Satin Door Handle for $100. bucks, guess it is to much.

Hope he finds a part, it is cast metal.

Dicktator

The black piece, pot metal is what broke, comes as one piece but can be removed.

Attachments

#11 ·
What I see is they install spring, then Pot/Cast Metal lever, then shoulder bolt.

Shoulder bolt so lever can move on smooth surface.

I have seen bolt loose, causing door handle not opening door correctly. Tightened bolt, all is well.

I would imagine they use this type lever on MANY models of GM Products.

Door Handle/Door Latch/Lock Module MUST be lubricated once in a while to prevent "breaking" the lever.

Suggest Silicone Spray by WD.

Dicktator

#10 ·
Handle

Thanks for everyones input...
The broken part appears to be pot/cast metal. Drivers side door.
Why have to buy whole handle? Seems like broken part should be available????
Have seen quite a few posts for broken handles, nobody questioned to buy complete handle??
Was just curious after seeing it is a "separate" part. T20 to remove..
$100.00 for small replaceable part, Go figure.
Everybody at Dick,s Garage thought it was all one piece.....
Got price for new, $400 / $299 & Dicktator was getting used one for a $100.
Sorry not trying to make waves, thought I was asking a simple rational question.....
If available, would be an easy inexpensive fix....
PS Thanks to Dick, Jim, Tony & Jeff for help with door & getting top going again, rebuilt cylinders
IRB Dennie:purple::cool

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyones input...
The broken part appears to be pot/cast metal. Drivers side door.
Why have to buy whole handle? Seems like broken part should be available????
Have seen quite a few posts for broken handles, nobody questioned to buy complete handle??
Was just curious after seeing it is a "separate" part. T20 to remove..
$100.00 for small replaceable part, Go figure.
Everybody at Dick,s Garage thought it was all one piece.....
Got price for new, $400 / $299 & Dicktator was getting used one for a $100.
Sorry not trying to make waves, thought I was asking a simple rational question.....
If available, would be an easy inexpensive fix....
PS Thanks to Dick, Jim, Tony & Jeff for help with door & getting top going again, rebuilt cylinders
IRB Dennie:purple::cool
Did you find one ?

If not, I HAVE ONE
YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THESE THOUGH ..http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/exterior-satin-handles-sale-197441/ These are priced below what they are worth.

#15 ·
In my case the 2 cast protrusions on the inside of the door handle were very corroded along with the inside of the door handle itself. I scraped out the corrosion and sprayed WD40 with the straw nozzle turned into the holes going into the door. I also sprayed the lock mechanism on the door itself. I can only assume that something that was binding up the works loosened up because the door handle did start moving more freely and is now very smooth with little effort needed to open the door.
Sorry I can't give you a more detailed explanation of what exactly was binding.

Dave

#16 ·
This may help.

Spray runs down onto Door Latch/Lock Module.

Best to do IF you have door panel off.

Grease holds dirt, silicone spray better, waterproof and doesn't collect dirt.

I do my door about every six months.

Dicktator

Attachments

#17 ·
Dick, So it's more of a guess? Hope it goes where it is needed? I used to deliver the latching parts to the assembly line for the astro van. The parts were covered in grease. Almost as if they were dipped? No paint. Just bare metal. W.D.40 is probably better to keep things moving? I'm still stuck on the motorcycle chain lube for the latching part. Graphite for the door tumblers and key tumblers? Anything I would guess is better than nothing???

Question:> wouldn't taking the lock knob off and letting the W.D. 40 run down [that] rod get to the parts pictured? ..........I also delivered all of those rods to the sub assembly stations. Quite a job sub-assembling then. Installing them all at one time for the next guy. This was my job for my last 3 years at gm. Bringing the parts to 50-+ work stations. We were the first to work on the vans as they came out of the final paint ovens.

BIRD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.