User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
An Owner in Spirit Only Now
View Ricochet's Photo Gallery
EEEK I Have a LEAK!!!

Well so much for spouting off on how good Ricochet is... Last week I noticed what appeared like two smallish drops of oil on my driveway. I had a workman at my house so I figured it came from his Nasty old Ford truck and not my little So I looked in my garage and I saw nothing on the floor so I forgot about it. Well tonight when I was fooling around with the side saddle bags I went into the garage and what do I find on my garage floor OIL!!!! Its about the size of a quarter and looks to be coming from the rear side of the engine compartment. Im going to run her over to the Dealer tomorrow to make sure its not the filter or plug and see where its really coming from. I bet its that tail shaft leak.

Last edited by Ricochet; 07-28-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 03, Vin#0168, License Plate-"DRMRIDE". SSR Diecast & Memorabilia Collector
View Scott 0168's Photo Gallery
Angry Leak

Had my filter come lose after an oil change once! Reached under the frame and tightened it up. No more leak.

Scott 0168
Scott 0168 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

View JimGnitecki's Photo Gallery
Ricochet: If it is the tailshaft leak, it is transmission fluid, rather than oil. Can you tell whether it is oil or transmission fluid?

If it is the tailshaft, there will also be traces of tranny fluid on the cross member under the rear of the tranny.

There have been rare reports of an oil leak from the back of the engine itself. I hope this is not the case here, as that takes much more effort and time to repair than the tailshaft leak.

BY the way, the headline on your post definitely gives the wrong idea. You might want to amend it to say that it your SSR that has the leak . . .

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Highest Mileage Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256, License Plate was WOW FCTR
View WOW_FCTR's Photo Gallery
Same thing happened to me almost....
I said that I haven't had a flat tire since the first new car I bought, so I didn't need a spare

Well in less than a month after posting that I found a nail in my tire 2 separate times (luckily I still didn't need the spare )
2003 Black SSR #1256 1sb

100K miles (02/04/07)....
150K miles (10/22/08)
175K miles (3/2/10)
200K (6/9/11)
225K miles (2/1/13)
235K miles (10/5/13) 2005 SSR bought
WOW_FCTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 silver vin 119941 build date 1/24/05
View frank belk's Photo Gallery
if its engine oil and from the back of the engine [rear main seal area ] there is a bulletin on this -frank
frank belk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
Its regular oil. I took a white paper towel and rubbed the spot and its a brownish color. Im off to the dealer to see what it is.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
View 2005SSR6Speed's Photo Gallery
I just had my Rear Seal Cover Gasket Replaced as mine had a leak from the time it was new. Even with the supercharger they covered everything under warranty without a question. They did have a little trouble dropping the transmission because the supercharger doesnt allow the transmission to drop as much as it does without. I am now leak free and extremely happy!
Authorized MagnaCharger Dealer/Distributor
2005SSR6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Joe: That may explain why even the pros at Phoenix Transmission found it a long job dropping my transmission, and re-installing it, when they did the torque converter and transmission strenghtening. I'm assuming that whether the transmission is manual or auto it is tight regardless.

That also suggests that anyone contemplating a cam change might want to do the cam change BEFORE installing the blower, just to get all the clearance possilbe. When MTI did my cam, before the blower was installed, they had to take out EVERYTHING in front of the engine (including radiator, right down to welded sheet metal body) in order to be able to slip the cam out without removing the engine from the vehicle.

If someone already has the blowerr installed, it's not a showstopper, but just means that MAYBE the blower / heat exchanger / intake needs to be temporarily unfastended and slid forward to clear the firewall when the engine is tipped backwrd.

Jim G
Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
View 2005SSR6Speed's Photo Gallery
I can pull the supercharger with intake and reinstall in about 2.5 hours now that I have had some practice. With it slid forward it makes it alot easier.
Authorized MagnaCharger Dealer/Distributor
2005SSR6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
Confirmed I got "The Leak"

I went to the place that changed my oil a couple months ago to have them check if the filter or drain plug might have been the cause. The kid goes into the pit and immediately I hear him say Oooooh its leaking from the back of the engine somewhere. . So I went to the Dealer and made an appointment for next Thursday (when I have off ) to bring it in. IM so bummed. I also told them Im hearing a metallic clinking sound from the rear drive train, I want to see what they are going to say about the tink issue.

Last edited by Ricochet; 07-28-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Smoken Asphalt, HP tuned, FlowMasters, TransGo Shift kit, 411 Gears, Mikes Aux Fan
View flynSS/R's Photo Gallery
Ross, I hate to be the one that told you so, but Murphy was just waiting to knock on your door.
flynSS/R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Well so much for spouting off on how good Ricochet is...
I can’t believe this is happening to you after you wrote “How.. GM How..” and all those you gave yourself yesterday.
Hope you get “YOUR” leak fix soon and back on the road.
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
View shiftz33's Photo Gallery
I've had two oil leaks on the rear of the engine (dripping off one of the starter bolts and at the bottom of the bell housing).

I now have a third oil leak. When I was installing Mike's OEM replacement fan, I noticed the camshaft position sensor (CMP) was leaking or the O-ring used to seal this sensor.

I drove my SSR to the service department yesterday to have them confirm the leak and order parts. I was called today stating the part(s) are in and I'm having the leak fixed (I hope) next Wednesday.

I'll have to restore my GM "tune" with my Predator before taking it in (just in case...).

The oil leak at the starter bolt took three attempts to fix and the other rear engine leak (rough casting edge on the bottom of the block) took two times to locate and fix and now this one..... At least this new leak should be easy to access and fix.
04 Chevy SSR | 13 Infiniti G37x Sedan | 04 Ford Thunderbird PCR #428 | 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
shiftz33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
You know I have always suspected I had an oil leak for some time but never saw any drips. I have smelled a hint of oil every time I parked in the garage. You should have seen the look I got from the Service Mgr. at the Dealership. The last engine oil leak I had was with a 2000 S10 Blazer that had an engine like an oil fountain. It ended up being a VERY GRIZZLY buy back . I think they will make sure its fixed RIGHT this time around I hope. When I told him it was leaking oil he turned white and closed himself in his office. He probably went to call the zone office rep. to tell him Heeees Baaaaack!! INDEED I am.. GM ...

Last edited by Ricochet; 07-28-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33
I've had two oil leaks on the rear of the engine (dripping off one of the starter bolts and at the bottom of the bell housing).

I now have a third oil leak. When I was installing Mike's OEM replacement fan, I noticed the camshaft position sensor (CMP) was leaking or the O-ring used to seal this sensor.

I drove my SSR to the service department yesterday to have them confirm the leak and order parts. I was called today stating the part(s) are in and I'm having the leak fixed (I hope) next Wednesday.

I'll have to restore my GM "tune" with my Predator before taking it in (just in case...).

The oil leak at the starter bolt took three attempts to fix and the other rear engine leak (rough casting edge on the bottom of the block) took two times to locate and fix and now this one..... At least this new leak should be easy to access and fix.
Oh My, what kind of parts did they have to order for the leak? I sure hope they can just fix it next week and they have the parts. I HATE having to bring it in twice.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
The "starter bolt" leak was simply a new bolt with A LOT of sealant on it. The first time they tried to fix that one they did not put enough on. The second time they "received additional info from GM" to apply more sealant on the bolt threads and head of the bolt. The oil was only dripping off of the starter bolt, it was another bolt on the engine block that was leaking.

The second rear engine oil leak was, in the end, simply a casting burr on the bottom of the block where it meets up with the oil pan at the rear of the engine. That one took a couple of times to "locate". I've put on about 1500 miles since that repair and it still looks dry.

The front engine oil leak is near the base of the water pump on the driver's side. There's a camshaft position sensor mounted just below the water pump. That is either leaking of the o-ring under it is leaking. They ordered the sensor on Thursday and it arrived on Friday for next week's service visit.
04 Chevy SSR | 13 Infiniti G37x Sedan | 04 Ford Thunderbird PCR #428 | 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 - Silver, Loaded, 6 Speed
View Hutch's Photo Gallery
Question SSR For Sale

This is Hutch again.

I think I'm going nuts... Can EVERYONE who has a 6 speed and is reading this PLEASE respond to me and let me know how your 6 speed is shifting. When you shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, do you feel it going into gear each time, or does it feel like your shifting in liquid or something, never feeling the gears as you shift.

EVERYONE, the techs, the service managers, and even the GM guy that calls on the dealships, have driven it and they all say the same thing, "There is nothing wrong with the way it shifts."

If you come back and tell me that it feels like you are shifting in a liquid or something, and never feel the gears, then I would love the phone number of your dealership, so that I can ask my dealership to contact them.

Really, am I crazy or what.

Tell me that I'm nuts so that I can sleep at night.

Please let me know as soon as possible, because it's been in the shop for two days, and I think the GM guy is getting ready to tell everyone to stop trying to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hutch
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hutch: You need to drive a DIFFERENT 6-speed SSR and compare to the feel of yours.

If necessary, go test drive a new or used 6-speed SSR at any dealership, or drive a fellow Fanatic's, but DRIVE one.

No one else can adequately describe shifting "feel" to another driver. You need to drive another SSR.

Jim G
Old 10-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
View ggoat!!!'s Photo Gallery
I agree. I responded to two of your previous posts asking for clarification of what you are talking about. Now, I'm confused even more. You never clarified what I asked, so I couldn't be of any help.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
6 Speed Rocket #2005
View hdflstf's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
This is Hutch again.

I think I'm going nuts... Can EVERYONE who has a 6 speed and is reading this PLEASE respond to me and let me know how your 6 speed is shifting. When you shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on, do you feel it going into gear each time, or does it feel like your shifting in liquid or something, never feeling the gears as you shift.

EVERYONE, the techs, the service managers, and even the GM guy that calls on the dealships, have driven it and they all say the same thing, "There is nothing wrong with the way it shifts."

If you come back and tell me that it feels like you are shifting in a liquid or something, and never feel the gears, then I would love the phone number of your dealership, so that I can ask my dealership to contact them.

Really, am I crazy or what.

Tell me that I'm nuts so that I can sleep at night.

Please let me know as soon as possible, because it's been in the shop for two days, and I think the GM guy is getting ready to tell everyone to stop trying to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hutch
I would say I can feel the gears. To go further, this trans has double and triple synchros so the feel will be way different than your typical 4 speed. My other ride has a saginaw box and you can feel the synchro then the gear on each shift, and that is through a 6 foot long shift tube (modified of course).
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

My SSR:
Responses to my clutch issues

Ggoat...

Thank you for responsing to my post yesterday. I appreciate it.

I wish I could profide you with a better explaination of what I am trying to describe about my clutch issue. JimGnitecki offered a suggestion... that I should drive another SSR with a 6 speed, allowing me to feel the difference. Unfortuniate for me, I haven't located any other SSR's owners here in the Midwest. There has to be others out here, but for some reason they do not post any comments on this network, or are not aware of it.

It's too bad we didn't have a way to let people know about this organization when they purchased their SSR.

If there are other SSR owners in the Midwest, please let me hear from you so we can introduce ourselves and enjoy a brotherhood of other SSR owners.

Again, thank you for your response, and I look forward to enjoying more of your writings, which helps this group of SSR owners appreciate the fact that they have found this site.

Hutch
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

My SSR:
Responses to my clutch issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdflstf View Post
I would say I can feel the gears. To go further, this trans has double and triple synchros so the feel will be way different than your typical 4 speed. My other ride has a saginaw box and you can feel the synchro then the gear on each shift, and that is through a 6 foot long shift tube (modified of course).

hdflstf, thank you also for responding to my post yesterday. I didn't read your response until I had responded to Ggoat.

Thank you also for responding. It sounds like my SSR is shifting the way it was designed.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Hutch: You need to drive a DIFFERENT 6-speed SSR and compare to the feel of yours.

If necessary, go test drive a new or used 6-speed SSR at any dealership, or drive a fellow Fanatic's, but DRIVE one.

No one else can adequately describe shifting "feel" to another driver. You need to drive another SSR.

Jim G
Jim, thank you for your response. I plan to do a search to locate another 6 speed here in the Midwest.

Hutch
Old 02-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

View jaxn's Photo Gallery
Any idea which "other bolt" caused the inboard starter mounting bolt to have oil on it? I have oil dripping off the starter area, but not the bell housing weep hole. Thanks.
jaxn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver Bullet
View coltfanatic's Photo Gallery
oil leak

I had a leak like you explained earlier, it was the pan gasket, had it replaced last summer and all is well. my extended warranty covered it. good luck
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxn View Post
Any idea which "other bolt" caused the inboard starter mounting bolt to have oil on it? I have oil dripping off the starter area, but not the bell housing weep hole. Thanks.
Supplied info to jaxn via PM last night, but I thought it might be nice to list what I had repaired to stop an oil leak near the starter motor on my former 2005 SSR.

Here are the two repair order descriptions of what was done to repair this oil leak:
03/02/2006: 5805 Miles

Verified oil leaking from right rear corner down starter bolt. Removed starter and with blacklight pinpointed leak to side main cap crossbolt. Removed bolt and found threads wet and sealant wet.

Replaced side crossbolt for maincap on right rear of engine and cleaned area. Started and verified no leaks at this time.

03/29/2006: 6589 Miles

Verified crossmain bolt leaking and sealant scored away from surface. Leaking out around bolt.

Replaced bolt and added this time sealant to threads and cleaned and blew dry interior bolt threads. Sealed bolt in place and reassembled. Let set overnight to dry.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

View jaxn's Photo Gallery
Much appreciated shiftz33!
jaxn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.