User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
"Free" repair - ABS and speedometer, etc

I would like to offer my services to anyone that needs it. My only requirement is that you pay shipping both ways and for needed parts if required. Insurance might be a good idea due to the nature of the items but it's up to you. I will try to do a one day turn around depending on my schedule and the type of return shipping you desire. I have repaired many million dollar electronic systems during my career and hold a few certifications for soldering and thought this would be a good way to return a little to the community that I have been a part of for many years. I am not sure how long I will provide this service, I am doing this in my spare time, so if something comes up that demands more of my time then I will retract it. If this message is still here then I am still offering the service.

Some of the failures associated with ABS units are solder joints on the relay and other joints on the board. Most if not all speedometer issues are related to the stepper motors. Both of these issues are well documented as common failure points and require soldering or component replacement that although can be done at home may not be practical for some people to accomplish.

ABS - Please try this Service Bulletin repair FIRST if you have an ABS EBCM issue. http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/954950-post15.html If you want me to check the board and resolder the joints I will do that and return it to you, all I ask in return is return shipping and sealant cost. I have resoldered/repaired about 2 dozen units so far and 100% of them have worked fine. I am pretty sure that the issue is related to cold solder joints and not heat related. If it were heat related then the bad joints would not always be the same group of 12 that I repair to fix the issue. If my work does not correct your problem then there are many companies around the US that will replace components on the board for you. Just do a Google for "ABS module repair" or something similar and you will find a bunch. Costs are anywhere from $60 on up. Also please note that the vehicle can still be driven when the module is removed for repair, you just will not have the ABS function.

Speedometer - If anyone wants to get new needles, repair lights, faceplace color change or repair a non working or intermittent servos I will provide that service as well. You supply the parts and I will do the work. Stepper motors are about $25 on EBay, new needles are $20-$45. You'll have to remove the speedometer, there are many threads here discussing that procedure, please do a search.

Lights - If you have a shift module or steering wheel controls that have burnt out lights (window, traction control, locks) I can repair those as well. I will not do light conversions (changing colors) because of issues like, brightness, evenness, useability, etc......

I've also included some How To instructions so you can repair your own parts:
Steering Light Repair - How To
Shift Console Light Repair - HOW TO

If you have any questions please let me know, I will provide contact information via PM.

Last edited by Dragon2U; 11-28-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
I DO WINDOWS
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 #2393 black SB1 some-stuff-added
View REBEL's Photo Gallery
Santa your early.
2003 SB1 #2393
Some stuff added

Rebel with a cause, and a loaded Airbrush
REBEL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot with just about everything Mike makes. Thanks Mike!
View VEGASSR's Photo Gallery
I don't need your services...yet... but Thanks Dragon!
VEGASSR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Maybellene 2006 SSR Auto #23699 SMOKIN'ASPHALT/RICOCHET SILVER Build Date: 03/02/2006
View mikebike's Photo Gallery
Thank you for offering this service to our SSR members.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
I would like to offer my services to anyone that needs it. My only requirement is that you pay shipping both ways and for needed parts if required. Insurance might be a good idea due to the nature of the items but it's up to you. I will not be held responsible for any issues that arise out of this offer and your willingness to participate is an agreement to this fact. I will try to do a one day turn around depending on my schedule and the type of return shipping you desire. I have repaired many electronic systems in my career and have a few certifications for soldering and thought this would be a good way to return a little to the community that I have been a part of for many years. I am not sure how long I will provide this service, I am doing this in my spare time, so if something comes up that demands more of my time then I will retract it. If this message is still here then I am still offering the service.

Some of the failures associated with ABS units are solder joints on the relay and other joints on the board. Most if not all speedometer issues are related to the stepper motors. Both of these issues are well documented as common failure points and require soldering or component replacement that although can be done at home may not be practical for some people to accomplish.

ABS - If you want me to check the board and resolder the joints I will do that and return to you. At this time we do not know how many boards are actually failing due to solder joints or hard components so this offer is not guaranteed or has any specific data to suggest it's outcome. I will track it and try to provide data at a later time. If my work does not correct the issue then there is a service that will replace components on the board for you. Dicktator has found a company that a few have used and had good results from: ABS Solution

Speedometer - If anyone wants to get new needles, repair lights, faceplace color change or repair a non working or intermittent servos I will provide that service as well. You supply the parts and I will do the work. Stepper motors are about $25 on EBay, new needles are $20-$45. You'll have to remove the speedometer, there are many threads here discussing that procedure, please do a search.

Lights - If you have a shift module that has burnt out lights (window, traction control, locks) I can probably repair those as well. I need to get some part numbers, when I do I will update this post. I will not do light conversions (changing colors) because of issues like, brightness, evenness, useability, etc......

If you have any questions please let me know, I will provide contact information via PM.
My SSR Photos
mikebike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
View DOOPHUS's Photo Gallery
What an exceptionally generous offer, Dragon . . .

By the way, where were you about two years ago when mine croaked?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post

I was right here, all you needed to do was ask

Seriously though, I had suspicions that it could be done but until VMAX posted his repair success the other day I wasn't sure if this was a similar issue with resoldering the joints or not.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
I agree with DOOPHUS, this is exceptionally generous offer. May I suggest putting this thread somewhere where we can find it or highlight it or......
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
'05 Silver Bullet D.O.B. 11/8/04 Bought 2/21/13
View skywalker's Photo Gallery
I found the following on E-Bay and I am fairly handy at DIY stuff. You think this would work me?

GM Instrument cluster Gauge / Speedometer REPAIR KIT rebuild x27 168 x25

Last edited by skywalker; 02-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
I found the following on E-Bay and I am fairly handy at DIY stuff. You think this would work me?

GM Instrument cluster Gauge / Speedometer REPAIR KIT rebuild x27 168 x25
I think you linked to a complete "kit" with soldering iron end everything. I personally would just run over to Radio Shack or Walmart and get my own soldering iron and misc items.

Yes, if you are decent with a soldering iron the repair is fairly straight forward. The most time consuming part is taking apart the dash, but I have done that so many times it's the fastest part for me now

The new stepper motors have a part number of x25.168 but as far as who to buy them from is really hard to say. I bought mine off EBay, but there are quite a few different variations out there. I suspect that the black cased ones are generic as they do not have the same markings as the white ones and are cheaper. I would stick with the white case and make sure you buy them from a reputable seller.

I have never bought from this US seller but the items seem to be of quality and you get some spare bulbs as well.
6 2003 06 x25 168 Envoy Stepper Motors 10 Free Lights | eBay
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

My SSR:
OK... Thank you. I will give it a go...

and then send it to you to fix if I mess it up....
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
OK... Thank you. I will give it a go...

and then send it to you to fix if I mess it up....

There are quite a few Youtube videos on doing the swap. One thing to remember is the needle position for calibration when you reinstall.

First you need to get some tape so you can mark the "0" set point. Place tape under the needle near the "0" mark for each needle. Then, very gently, move each needle counter clockwise until it stops. DO NOT put more pressure on it than needed to stop or the calibration will be off when you reinstall. Mark the tape where the needle sits so you know where to reinstall them.

There is a special tool made to take them off but you can use a fork or a plastic pry tool to lift straight up, they just pop off and push back on.

When you reinstall them, push the needle onto the center post, then move them counterclockwise until the needle lines up with the previous marks. If you move them too far just keep going around and do it again.

Soldering ..... well, that I cannot help you with long distance, just be careful not to put too much heat on the joints and lift a trace. I can repair it if you do, just makes it a little harder.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

My SSR:
Thanks again, Dragon. I will order the steppers and pull it out to have a look. If I don't think I can handle it, I will be touch.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=03/14/2006 The Black Knight
View Warrior=='06's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Sweeeeet....

Thanks Mike.

I will subscribe to this thread for when the need arises. Generous of you to offer.
=====================
David
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Vegas Mob

My SSR:
Slingshot yellow, 6 Speed, 4:56, #119840
View YellowDZH's Photo Gallery
You are the man Mike. What a deal you are offering. If I need something rebuild you will be hearing from me. Thanks for your support.

Yellow RULES Las Vegas
YellowDZH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
DSTRSSR

My SSR:
Supercharged, 4:10 gears, Mike's fan, stiffening plate, cooler, MPD's hood, magnaflow exhaust.
View KellyO's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Lights - If you have a shift module that has burnt out lights (window, traction control, locks) I can probably repair those as well. I need to get some part numbers, when I do I will update this post. I will not do light conversions (changing colors) because of issues like, brightness, evenness, useability, etc......
Dragon2U
Did you ever find the part numbers for window & traction control lights
I have 2 burnt out & would like to fix them
KellyO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyO View Post
Dragon2U
Did you ever find the part numbers for window & traction control lights
I have 2 burnt out & would like to fix them
Hi Kelly,
Well, they can be replaced but I have no idea what the part number would be. The only way to get one close would be to use a light meter on them to measure the output and get a similar one. They are a simple 1/4 twist base with the lamps soldered into the base.

The lamps have a blue cover to make the yellowish glow more white. The best bet would be to get a bright LED bulb and use that as a replacement for all the bulbs to make all the switches have an equal brilliance.

Here are some pictures to show you what is they look like:
Attached Thumbnails
"Free" repair - ABS and speedometer, etc-chevy-ssr-shifter-lights.jpg   "Free" repair - ABS and speedometer, etc-chevy-ssr-shifter-bulbs-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior=='06 View Post
Thanks Mike.

I will subscribe to this thread for when the need arises. Generous of you to offer.
=====================
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDZH View Post
You are the man Mike. What a deal you are offering. If I need something rebuild you will be hearing from me. Thanks for your support.
Appreciate the kind words
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
DSTRSSR

My SSR:
Supercharged, 4:10 gears, Mike's fan, stiffening plate, cooler, MPD's hood, magnaflow exhaust.
View KellyO's Photo Gallery
Thanks Dragon2u
I will look into finding some replacement bulbs

Kelly
KellyO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyO View Post
Thanks Dragon2u
I will look into finding some replacement bulbs

Kelly
Well, if you want to experiment, these are likely very close to what is in there now. Just unsolder the bad ones and pull off the blue cover, insert, trim and solder the leads and use the blue cover and you should be good. Might find them cheaper somewhere, just don't know were yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230877319148...84.m1438.l2649

Last edited by Dragon2U; 03-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Highest Mileage Moderator

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256, License Plate was WOW FCTR
View WOW_FCTR's Photo Gallery
I did not see this post until today.

I may take you up on your very generous offer for the ABS.
I have to have my truck towed to my mechanic to get the shift cable fixed and I guess I will have him remove the ABS module while it's there.

please PM your information to me.

Thanks for supporting the community
2003 Black SSR #1256 1sb

100K miles (02/04/07)....
150K miles (10/22/08)
175K miles (3/2/10)
200K (6/9/11)
225K miles (2/1/13)
235K miles (10/5/13) 2005 SSR bought
WOW_FCTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
View DOOPHUS's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
What an exceptionally generous offer, Dragon . . .

Quote:
I was right here, all you needed to do was ask

Seriously though, I had suspicions that it could be done but until VMAX posted his repair success the other day I wasn't sure if this was a similar issue with resoldering the joints or not.
Just a little additional FYI, Dragon . . .

A couple weeks ago, the bill to replace The Doophus's gauge module at Watson Chevrolet (they only replace the entire module, not the individual steppers) was a whopping $1485.00 plus tax.

Thank Goodness for the GMPP, otherwise the round trip drive to Georgia would have been less expensive and I would not have lost the yellow faceplate.

Once again . . . EXCEPTIONALLY GENEROUS OFFER.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Antique
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2003 Custom paint by self
View Antique's Photo Gallery
Glad I live so close to you just in case.
Really nice of you!!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slvr born 11-19-04, Flowmaster Cats, Borla Dual Exh, K&N Filter, Vette servo, custom tune, lowrd.
View Donaldo7's Photo Gallery
Dragon2U, I sent a pm on needing ABS EBCM repair.

Last edited by Donaldo7; 04-20-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: changed an abbreviation
Donaldo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slvr born 11-19-04, Flowmaster Cats, Borla Dual Exh, K&N Filter, Vette servo, custom tune, lowrd.
View Donaldo7's Photo Gallery
I replaced the EBCM unit after Dragon's repair and so far so good, no Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding ------

Thanks for all your help.

Don
Donaldo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo7 View Post
I replaced the EBCM unit after Dragon's repair and so far so good, no Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding ------

Thanks for all your help.

Don
Great news Don, you're more than welcome, sure hope the fix continues to keep you on the road for several more years!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 6.0 ssr
View Luedizzle's Photo Gallery
Thank you !!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Luedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver w/skunk stripes Dyno @ 128mph, 4.10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N, port/polished throttle
View Dicktator's Photo Gallery
Mike also did my EBCM recently and I am sending him another one to do.

Need spare at Dicktator's Garage.

Thanks Mike!

Dicktator
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Highest Mileage Moderator

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256, License Plate was WOW FCTR
View WOW_FCTR's Photo Gallery
I sent mine to be fixed and not a peep from it after it was reinstalled.

As of today, everything is working on my SSR (let's see what happens tomorrow)
2003 Black SSR #1256 1sb

100K miles (02/04/07)....
150K miles (10/22/08)
175K miles (3/2/10)
200K (6/9/11)
225K miles (2/1/13)
235K miles (10/5/13) 2005 SSR bought
WOW_FCTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
SSR AZ CREW
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Not the prettiest, nor the fastest but she's my bitchin SSR!
View nulogic1's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
I would like to offer my services to anyone that needs it. My only requirement is that you pay shipping both ways and for needed parts if required. Insurance might be a good idea due to the nature of the items but it's up to you. I will try to do a one day turn around depending on my schedule and the type of return shipping you desire. I have repaired many million dollar electronic systems during my career and hold a few certifications for soldering and thought this would be a good way to return a little to the community that I have been a part of for many years. I am not sure how long I will provide this service, I am doing this in my spare time, so if something comes up that demands more of my time then I will retract it. If this message is still here then I am still offering the service.

ABS - Please try this Service Bulletin repair FIRST if you have an ABS EBCM issue. http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/954950-post15.html If you want me to check the board and resolder the joints I will do that and return it to you. At this time we do not know how many boards are actually failing due to solder joints or hard components so this offer is not guaranteed or has any specific data to suggest it's outcome. I will track it and try to provide data at a later time. If my work does not correct the issue then there are companies around the US that will replace components on the board for you. Just do a Google for "ABS module repair" or something similar and you will find a bunch. Costs are anywhere from $60 on up. Also please note that the vehicle can still be driven when the module is removed for repair, you just will not have the ABS function.

Lights - If you have a shift module or steering wheel controls that have burnt out lights (window, traction control, locks) I can repair those as well. I will not do light conversions (changing colors) because of issues like, brightness, evenness, useability, etc......

I've also included some How To instructions so you can repair your own parts:
Steering Light Repair - How To
Shift Console Light Repair - HOW TO

Took your advise and sent ABS module to Idaho for repair. They did a great job with upgrades also. That was a month ago. Since then we took an AZ to Lindsborg, KS ride to a wedding.
A couple of days ago I had someone pull a lefty on me and those ABS brakes saved the day!
Oh yes, I installed AZ Mike's heat shield also.

Thx, Mike Pastori

Last edited by nulogic1; 11-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.
nulogic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.