Chevy SSR Forum banner

How To Install Full LED Light Kit

19K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  Autoprof 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of this can be found in the How To drive that Dicktator has put together so giving credit where credit is due.

So if you already know how to do all this please ignore those parts. I'm putting this up as if one is a first timer and has never installed any lights on a car before ever...... ;)

I'll start from the back and work my way forward starting with the reverse lights.

Back Up Reverse Lights: LED Edition

To install the Back Up Reverse LED Lights, first off you have to get under the back side of the SSR.

Be careful if the exhaust is hot.

Locate the Reverse Light housing and push the tab in that my thumb is on.

With the tab pushed in rotary it down, counterclockwise. Only one direction you can turn it btw.

The bulb will release from the socket. Pull the bulb out obviously and install the new LED light in it's place. Be careful not to burn your hands, you may want to wear gloves or use a towel?cloth....

Before inserting the LED back into the housing, use your key fog and press the "unlock" button, this will trigger the Reverse lights (if you're in a dim environment) and is easier and faster then getting up and turning on the lights from the switch...

Remember LED's are polarity sensitive so if they do not turn on when you hit the button on the fob, take the LED light out of the socket and flip it 180 degrees and plug it back in and test it again.

Once you get the correct connection and the LED lights up plug it into the socket and reinstall the socket into the housing.

Hint, Tip, Trick..... one thing I found on this particular LED light only is that it has a hi and low setting based on which side is plugged in. So if you find one of the reverse lights is slightly brighter then the other take out the dimmer one and flip it 180 and plug it back in, it will be brighter now.... If both look the same, take one out and flip it and see if ones brighter/dimmer and make them match to your liking. ;)

Josh

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
License Plate LED Lights

Locate license plate lights just above the License Plate assembly. No need to remove the plate.

For this removal you will need a T15 Star bit or T15 screw driver.

Only loosen, do not remove the screws completely.

Repeat, do not remove the screws completely, only loosen.

The license plate light housing slides right out.

Now you have access to the license plate light.

Just twist the socket half a turn and it pops out. Obviously remove the OEM bulb and install the new LED light.

Turn on the lights from inside the SSR to test the LED light. Remember LED are polarity sensative so if it doesn't light up, turn the lights off, then take out the LED and flip it 180 and plug it back in then turn the lights on again to test it and it should light up.

Note, I believe these tiny LED's require a bit more force to plug in, you should hear a click when they are full installed.

Once it lights up, turn the lights off and do the other side, then plug the LED into the socket, twist it in place and do the reverse order of the removal process to put it back together.

Josh

#3 · (Edited)
Main Tail Light, Brake Light, Rear Blinker: LED Edition

This is also covered in Dicktator's How To drive....

So this light requires a different type of LED as it's a multi functioning light. When its just a tail light it's one brightness, but when it's a brake light or turn signal it lights up much brighter....

So this requires a 2 Stage LED light which features two differing light outputs.

Also keep in mind the LED cannot be too bright when on or it may blind the rear traffic at night time.

So I found a good light that meets all those requirements and is brighter then OEM light output yet not too bright as to blind rear traffic.

Changing the Rear Tail Lights also requires you to get under the SSR to access the lights but it's pretty easy like the others.

Locate the bulb under the rear fender behind the rear wheel.
Turn the socket counterclockwise to remove.

Plug in the new LED light.

Before you reinstall it, turn your lights on from the inside to check it. If it does not light up, turn the lights off, take it out, flip it 180 and plug it back in and turn the lights back on to check it again.

Reinstall it into the socket and twist.

This is a side by side comparison of the LED vs the OEM light output. This is not blinding, it's just close up to the garage door. ;)

Josh

#4 · (Edited)
How To Replace Side Markers Rear

So easy, you'll wonder why you never did this before. ;)

Locate the rear side marker

Locate the hole in the inner fender well.

Stick your finger in it and push in the metal tab holding the Rear Side Marker housing.

Then slide the side marker forward. This will release the side marker to access the socket.

Access the light by rotating it and then replace it with the LED light.

Before you put it all back together, turn the lights on from inside to test the LED. If it does not light up, turn the lights off, take it out, flip it 180 and plug it back in, then turn the lights on to test it again. It should light up.

Once the LED is connected correctly, reinstall it to the side marker housing and put that back into the rear fender.

Josh

#5 · (Edited)
Side Markers Front: LED Edition

So the front side markers are the same as the rear except how you access them is much different.

To access them you need to be under the SSR again.

If you have a lowered R you may need to put it up on ramps to get under it.

Locate the Front Side Marker

I managed to get under mine ok without lifting it up.

Once you're under the R, you need to look over to the wheel area, just infront of the plastic wheel well tub way up in the corner is the light housing and socket. It's actually not a difficult reach just awkward reach and visually challenging. If you do the rear side marker first you'll have a good idea how the front side marker pops out once you push that metal tab.

Reach way up and push in the metal tab located near the wheel well tub corner. Hard to see but you can easily feel it.

Once you've released the tab, pull the side marker housing backwards towards the rear of the R.

Now you can access the socket and bulb.

As before, remove and replace the bulb with the LED light.

Turn the lights on to test it, if it does not turn on, turn the lights off, then take the LED out and flip it 180 and plug it back it. Turn the lights on again to test it before you put it all back together.

Once you get the connections correct, put the socket in the housing, twist it in place and put the Side Marker back in it's place by sliding it forward and then in.

Josh

#6 · (Edited)
Front Grill Park Lights, Turn Signal LED Install

Dicktator also has a How To write up on this already, the only difference is he spliced in resisters and I am not since I am installing the Flasher Module.... just fyi.

Repeat, there is no need to splice in wired resistors if you install the LED Flasher Module. ;)

The front spear is really simple, you just have to treat it delicately. If you just pull straight forward things should be okay.

So obviously open the hood.

Locate the two screws that keep the spear attached.

Remove those two screws.
For this I use a #7 socket on the end of an socket screw driver or a ratchet.

Remove those two screw out completely.

Next will be the spear removal....

#7 · (Edited)
Front Spear Removal

It is very important here that you pull the spear straight forward and not up/down or left/right.

If you do not pull it straight forward you risk breaking the 3 tabs inside that line it up.

Here's how the tabs line up inside. Hopefully you can see by these pics how the tabs line up with the slots in the grill housing and this will help you understand how it lines up and how to pull it apart.

This is just one side, but there are 3 tabs. One tab in the middle and one on each side about 8-10 inches from the center.

Here's all three tabs.

Now you understand how the tabs line up, let's pull the spear off.

I prefer to gently "jiggle" the outer tabs first so as too loosen things up a little.

Then I try to jiggle the center tab next so as too loosen things up a little.

Then I jiggle the end/tip of the spear where the velcro is holding it on as too loosen that up a little also.

After the jiggling, I start to pull straight forward and keep jiggling as I pull.

You may have to repeat these steps several times before it all releases.

As you do this and pull straight forward it will release.
As it releases you may need to go back to the tips and pull them apart from the velcro.

Just take your time and go slow and treat it delicately and you should be ok.

Don't grow impatient during this removal or you will regret it.

Next will be replacing the park/turn signal lights.....

#8 · (Edited)
Front Grill Turn Signal and Park Lights: LED Edition

Should be noted that this particular light also needs to be a 2 Stage LED light capable of two light outputs, on and brighter for when it blinks. It took me 4 different LED lights to find the correct one....

Now that the spear is removed the rest is simple and easy.

Locate the front park/turn signal lights.

For this you will need a very thin flat screw driver or a very thin pry tool to wedge in-between and push in the tab that holds the lights housing in place.

Push the tool in gently.

The tab pops out pretty easily so no need for force.

Once the tab is released pull the light housing towards the center of the nose, do not pull it straight out, it needs to go at an angle.

Now you can access the socket and bulb.

Remove the old bulb and install the new LED light.

Again, before you put it all back together, test it by turning on the lights from the inside. If it does not light up, turn the lights off and take the LED out and flip it 180 and plug it back in and it should light up.

I know it doesn't look super bright, but keep in mind this is also a 2 stage LED so it will light up brighter when the blinker blinks. But even just the normal park lights are significantly brighter then OEM as I'll show you.

Once you've confirmed the correct connection, put the socket in the housing and reinstall the light in the grill area.

Repeat for the other side.

Here's a side by side with the OEM vs LED. and the blinker is even brighter. ;)

Passenger side OEM vs LED Driver side

#9 · (Edited)
Reinstalling the Spear.

Pretty much a no brainer but I thought I'd include it in the write up anyways....

Line the 3 tabs up with the receiving slots and push in.

I prefer to start from the center and push in the center tab.

Then I prefer to move to the outer tabs (which should already be clicked in) but I then push them in as well.

Don't forget to push and secure the tips/ends to the velcro again.

Put the 7mm screws back in place. Tighten them snug but don't over tighten them or you risk braking the plastic spear.

Now all the exterior lights are converted to LED lights.

Josh

#10 · (Edited)
LED Flasher Module Installation

Ok so all the exterior light are converted to LED's now you need the LED Flasher Module installed so the blinkers and turn signals work properly without hyper flashing.

This is the Novita LM486 flasher module.
This will go under the driver side dash.

First you need to locate the old flasher module under the driver side dash right out on the edge of the bottom of the dash.

It is that little flap hanging just beyond the edge of the dash in between the two screws.

There it is hiding....

I use a flat head screw driver to push up on the small tab which helps to release it. There's another block on the inside that sits in a square hole that also needs to be pushed out but you can use you hand for that.

Release the tabs and slide it forward.

It should just drop down giving you better access to the flasher module.

You can probably remove this by hand but it was difficult for me so I just used a giant adjustable wrench/pliers thing....

Pull straight back.

Push the new Novita LED Flasher Module in by hand.

Then just slide the new flasher module back in its place and pop it in.

This LED flasher module will not only make your turn signals work with LED lights installed, but it's also slightly louder chime on the interior and make the rear turn signals really snap on and off quickly instead "turning" on off on off, they snap on snap off snap on snap off. Only way I know how to describe it.

Josh

#11 · (Edited)
Interior LED Lights

Vanity Mirror LED Light install

Now the exterior lights are done you have to make the interior lights match of course!! haha

Vanity Mirrors are first

You can easily use your thumb to apply a little pressure down and slide the small lens out away from the mirror. The other side is the same, slide it outward away from the mirror.

The OEM bulbs get hot quick and you can't really shut them off so be cautious of that.

You can however half way close the visor or hold it partly closed with your hand to shut the light off.

Then use a plier or a flat head screw driver to remove the OEM light. You need to make sure there's no current running through the connectors, if there is and your tool touches it at the same time you could blow a fuse.

Remove the OEM bulb, again this may be very hot to the touch so wear gloves or do it real quick....

Then place in the LED bulb, again it's polarity sensitive so you will see it light up or not before you even push it all the way in, if it flickers on real quick then you have it correct. Just push it all the way into the connection tabs and turn it so the LED diodes are facing out towards you.

Place the screen back over by sliding it in from outside to inside.

Josh

#12 · (Edited)
Glove Box LED install

This one was really tough to take pics of so here's the best I could do.... sorry but I feel this one will be inadequate but hopefully you'll get the gist of it.

First locate the glove box light.

You can push it down from the other side. Be careful not to burn your fingers on that tiny bulb.

Remove the old OEM bulb and replace it with the new LED light.

I will warn you this socket is very hard to release the OEM and install the LED lights so you will have to seriously push down hard with your finger to get it to click into place.

Because of the force it takes to click this one into place you may damage a LED diode but it will still work okay, just fyi.

That's it.

Josh

#19 ·
You're welcome. The instructions I send with the LED kits will not be this lengthy. It will be a summarized version, probably just pics with not much words except for the grill spear part. That one I'll explain a bit more then just pics.

Josh

#27 ·
The first time I did it I was a little nervous/hesitant but afterwards was not afraid. It's simple enough, just take your time and be patient and it'll pull straight off.

Awesome write up, Josh. Thanks for taking the time to do this.....again...for the benefit of the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
You're very welcome, I've benefited from this forum so much, it's the least I can do.

Josh :yellow:

#33 ·
Shoes?? I thought old guys only wore Crocks?? :lol:lol:grin2:

Hey, Josh

Nice write up - I was going to dig into the manual tonight to see how to access the front markers.

Did notice one thing. I was curious about what brand of tires you were using. Didn't see a brand, but did notice on one photo in the section about the front markers that it looks like the inner sidewall of the tire is facing outward. :surprise:

The word Inner in multiple languages is in the sidewall just above the size.
My tires are Pirellis' but they came with the SSR when I bought it, they were practically new so I left them on, they're not the correct sizes but close enough.

I just went and looked at them and sure enough they are on wrong side out. My rear tires are correct though saying "outer" on the outside wall.

Thanks for noticing that, I will get them switched thanks.

Josh

#29 ·
Joshvette, thank you for the superb tutorial. I will definitely take advantage of your hard work. I don't see a listing of the specific LED bulbs you used for each application, did I miss something? Please post which bulbs you used, I am electrically challenged and don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thank you Sir!

#32 · (Edited)
Carl, I'm putting together a Full LED Light Kit for just this reason. It will include every light and LED flasher module.

It's a true plug n play kit if you're interested. I can even get you interior LED's if you like.... there is absolutely no wire splicing of resistors or anything at all.

You can buy them all individually including the LM486 Flasher Module for $150, I'm offering it for $160 plus $10 shipping, so $170 total if you're interested. I've already done all the research and ground work, you just have to install them.

If not I can send you the links to the lights on Amazon. If you buy them on your own, you should know the front and rear turn signals have to be a 2 stage LED light otherwise they will not blink even with the flasher module since they need to light up brighter when they blink and brake compared to when they're just on regular light output with the lights on.

Let me know?
Thanks, Josh

#30 ·
Hey, Josh

Nice write up - I was going to dig into the manual tonight to see how to access the front markers.

Did notice one thing. I was curious about what brand of tires you were using. Didn't see a brand, but did notice on one photo in the section about the front markers that it looks like the inner sidewall of the tire is facing outward. :surprise:

The word Inner in multiple languages is in the sidewall just above the size.

Reactions: Joshvette
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.