Chevy SSR Forum banner

INFO: GM's Oil Life System "OLS"

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Marc NY 
#1 ·
I know that there has been quite a few threads pertaining to Oil Life and here is one more. I got the following information or Q&A from one of our GM's websites. I believe this should help out some of our members who feel the need to continue using the 3,000 mile schedules. I too had been somewhat reluctant until I read some of these answers.

*Some great knowledge to know ...

Q&A On GM’s Oil Life System

We got a lot of feedback from our recent post about the GM Oil Life System, including a number of questions about how the system works. So we compiled some of the questions – and in a couple cases condensed a few questions into one – and asked GM’s OLS engineer Matt Snider to provide his insights. Here’s what he had to say. – Will Stewart, blog editor

Q: I agree with using the OLS, but why does the Chevy dealer put the window sticker showing the 3 MOS /3000 MILES each time I get my oil changed? Don’t their technicians know about this?

A: We work hard to promote the OLS Oil Life System technology throughout the dealer network because using it can help protect the environment and save our customers money. As a result, many dealers have wholeheartedly embraced the GM Oil Life System and are actively promoting its benefits to customers. However, dealers are independent businesses and some have chosen to continue to stick with the traditional 3,000-mile oil change interval. But you and other GM owners can change this mindset. The next time your service technician, whether at a dealer or a quick-lube establishment, hands you the “3,000 mile” sticker, tell them about the environmental benefits of the Oil Life System. Remember, if we all do our part and use the GM Oil Life System as intended, we could collectively save more than 100 million gallons of engine oil every year.

Q: I just recently purchased a new vehicle with the GM Oil Life System. Before that I owned a 13 year old car, and I was pretty careful to change the oil every 3000 miles. I now have ~3300 miles on my new car, and the OLS says I have 60% oil life remaining! My wallet is definitely happy, and if I can avoid crawling under the car to change the oil in these freezing Midwest temperatures for a while longer, I’m happy, too! One concern I have though is regarding the oil filter. If the oil filter gets clogged, or is defective, or for some reason or another isn’t performing correctly, will the OLS be able to accurately monitor the oil condition? Is it possible for my car to think it has a bunch of oil life remaining when it’s actually pumping dirty, contaminated oil through the engine? I’ll admit I don’t know much about the workings of the oil system, and this could be a non-issue. I just know that when I had my old car, the importance of changing the filter every 3000 miles was often stressed.

A: The life of engine oil and the oil filter are calculated in the calibration of the GM Oil Life System. As long as you change your oil and filter in accordance with the GM Oil Life System, the filter will not get plugged.

Q: I am a do-it-yourselfer (please rest assured that I dispose of the used oil in a legal and proper manner), and from the old school philosophy of changing oil every three thousand miles. While this is a practice that will be hard for me to break, your material here is convincing me to trust the OLS. One question I do have is “What about the initial oil change during the engine ‘break-in’ period?

A: A lot of people ask this question. However, the thought and answer behind the question are often quite different. For example, this question has been asked with respect to the break-in period of an engine on an initial oil charge with “synthetic” oil. If we had more information about your particular concern with respect to breaking in an engine, we might be able to provide a better answer. I can tell you that we analyze used oil samples from hundreds of vehicles every year and many of these samples are from an engine’s first oil change after following the Oil Life System. I also can tell you that our engines “break in” just fine by changing the oil according to the Oil Life System, and the oil is always in good shape.

Q: Why is it that people in the USA seem to think that oil needs to be changed in 3.000 mile intervals where in Europe oil-change intervals of 12.500 to 18.500 miles are a common thing? Do people in the USA use salad oil or something equally bad in their engines?

A: One common myth is that engine oils in Europe are superior to engine oils in the U.S. This, like the 3,000-mile oil change interval, may have been true decades ago, but it is absolutely false today. The OEMs have worked hard with the oil and additive industry to vastly improve the quality of engine oils on the market. Partly because of these advancements in engine oils, GM can safely offer extended oil drain intervals to its customers through the use of the Oil Life System. In fact, many customers with vehicles equipped with the GM Oil Life System will regularly achieve oil drain intervals in the 12,500-mile range or further. I think much of the adherence to the 3,000-mile oil drain interval in the U.S. is because that is what folks are used to doing. That’s why we are trying to get out our message with respect to the GM Oil Life System. This simple technology can protect the investment customers have in their vehicles by safely extending oil drain intervals.

Q: So at what percentage am I to change my oil based on this system? 50 percent oil life? Zero percent oil life?

A: As the Oil Life System approaches 0% oil life remaining, some vehicles will display a “change oil” message, while other vehicles will display a “change oil” light. When this message or light comes on, you should change your engine oil within the next two fuel fill-ups.

• Oil quality has immensely improved since those days of mandatory oil changes every 3,000 miles or less.
With the advent of synthetic oil and the increased lubricity characteristics of said oil, we can now enjoy less frequent and sometimes costly oil changes.
Sensors within the crankcase can analyze the lubricity and cleanliness of oil many times a second while you drive.
This, combined with increased oil capacity, provides a cooler, cleaner and more efficient running engine.

One of the “secrets’ that European manufactures have used for many years has been the large oil capacities in their vehicles, hence longer oil change intervals and longer running engines.

Mercedes Benz has been utilizing 8-10 quart capacity for many years, thereby prolonging engine life well into the 200,000 mile range.
Synthetic oil has also been proven to add approximately 5 horsepower, depending on application due to increased lubricity and less breakdown associated with petroleum based oils.

Let technology work and enjoy the savings!

Does the oil life system work or synthetic oil? I know that the synthetics are typically darker to begin with so is it possible that the synthetics may cause the oil life system to run down faster than appropriate?

Great, science-based message. When confronted with old-school believers in the 3,000 mile rule, many of whom will say “that’s fine if you intend to trade your vehicle in every couple of years, but I want mine to last for 150,000 miles”, I offer……………..”If we took 2 vehicles with equal driving exposure and changed the oil in one of them every 3,000 miles and followed the Oil Life System recommendation in the other, then tore the engines down at 150,000 miles, you would not be able to see a difference in the wear or appearance of the components.

Synthetic oils were extensively researched by GM in the mid 1980’s.
An exhaustive study indicated that Mobil 1, which was the most popular synthetic oil available at that time, enabled the development engineers to actually raise their horsepower figures for the L98 5.7 engine by 5 horsepower.

The study researched all American oils, both petroleum and synthetic.
It was a hard sell to the Racing Circuit, who still believed in petroleum based, high detergent oils though!

Funny how old habits die hard!

See less See more
#2 ·
Marc,
I have been an old-schooler until now. Your thorough explanation has convinced me....but as you say, old habits die hard. I know I'll be looking real hard at the dipstick when I check the oil to glean any clues to the condition of the fluids circulating through my baby..

#5 ·
Thanks Marc. I read the GMOLS and it indicates one oil change per annum mandatory whether oil light monitor triggered or not. Regular maintenance is done at the same time as the oil change is required and it appears as though on alternate oil changes the maintenance is slightly more involved then reverting to the simpler maintenance on the third change etc.

I just received a call from my dealer indicating mine was due for maintenance so I will have to inform them I want to do maintenance as my R tells me it wants it, or once per year as required. I don't have mine licensed for another couple months but as it will be a year since last oil change I guess I will need to get her done @ 2400 miles. Seems weird but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I guess the dealer has to assume every vehicle is an every day driver and puts everyone on a 6 month call list if the customer doesn't call.

#6 ·

I change once a year just as I put it away for winter so it's fresh oil sitting in the bearings. It's rust inspection /oil / and put to sleep. Start it up every month to running temp. and she's ready to run in spring. (03 with 25,000)

#7 ·
ols

I have been using the OLS on my Cad. for some time now and will start using it on the R this spring. If you have any doubts about it, put 5 to 6 thousand on the oil and send a oil sample to Blackstone Labs, they will do a complete analysis of your oil and send you a hard copy for 35.00, I have done this twice now they are great people to work with. Jim

#9 ·
BUMP

I thought I would bring this article back up again for it would be great to revisit it for some of our newer members who may have not seen this article before. :yesnod
I change mine 1 time a year because of low mileage but do it before the season to drive i let the old oil get the moisture in it from sitting all winter long as moisture will build up inside the engine over the temp changes at that time all ways start off the new season with new mobil one even have buddies wanting my old oil (ha)

#12 · (Edited)
I have the 5.3 which can use "regular oil".

I never used the regular oil, I always used Mobil 1 and changed about 4 to 4.5K along with filter of course.

I recently, last year, change ALL my oils to Amsoil, engine, transmission, (runs 5 degrees cooler, according to my Gage) and rear axial. I must say I am very pleased with the performance.

I also increased the size of my engine oil filter to about twice the filter capacity of the OEM.

Although Amsoil says it is 25K oil, I change once a year or 10K to 12K.

Florida weather is not all that hard on wear, at least that has been my experience so far.

This is just what I am doing, as I said, "I am very pleased with the performance" but I am not recommending anyone else do the same.

Bottom line, KEEP OIL CLEAN AND FILTERED IS RECIPE FOR LONG LIFE!

I just turned 72,234 miles.

Dicktator

#21 ·
HI Jim,

Sorry to tell you this but GM agreed to allow only 500 of those beautiful looking waterfall badges to be made up. They were made by the same OEM Vendor who made up the Final Production Run 2006 Waterfall Badges.

Every once in awhile someone who bought an extra one or who didn't put theirs on their SSR might offer their badge up for sale. Be forewarned that they draw some strong dollars these days.

I should have kept a few dozen for future $$$ resale.:banghead

#20 ·
i love the system and use it on all 3 cars, my 2 and my daughters cobalt
all my rides get mobil 1 at 1500 miles if bought new and change instantly if bought used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.