Awhile back, whenever I'd get in my truck, I'd get a whiff of mildew. I'd take a big sniff, and nothing, just that first hint. I couldn't find anything wet, but It's been a really wet spring so maybe condensation some place like inside the door. Have to check it out when the weather breaks.
Last week, after a heavy overnight rain, there's a half inch of water on top of the passenger side carpet. I know with that much on top, it must be a swamp underneath. Being a molded carpet, you just can't fold it back and peek under there.
I pulled the carpet retainer that runs along the sill next to the seat, and the kick panel under the dash. Yes a swamp, fortunately no alligators, so I vacuumed out the standing water, but trying to suck the water out of the carpet pad started to pull the pad apart. After a little trial, and a lot of error, I found the pad could be pulled out from under the rug. The rubber backed rug is fairly easy to dry, with the pad gone.
Of course I came to this thread right away, also this thread
, where Dictator mentioned weep holes. Armed with this information I pulled the wiper arms, and the plastic cowl cover under the hood.
The first thing I found was I couldn't the find rubber duckbill drain in the center of the cowl, by the passenger side wiper post. Pulled the steel plate that covers half the cowl and mounts both wiper posts, and guess what, no rubber drain. What I have is, where the cowl butts up against the firewall, there is a small V shaped kink stamped into the cowl to provide drainage.
Then I realized cruzned and Dicktator have early trucks and mine is an '06. Must have changed that drain when they revamped for the 6-spd.
I made sure that drain was open and the drains at the driver's end of the cowl were clean. Dicktator mentioned drilling out weep holes, but mine has big openings, more like a Roman bridge.
On the passenger side, looking passed the wiper motor toward the drains, I saw leaves... lots of leaves. Disconnected the wiper arm linkage from the wiper transmission, and pulled the transmission/motor as a unit... (unplug the wires).
I got a few handfuls of leaves out, then duct taped a length of heater hose to the shop-vac hose, and fished it in to get the rest. Again, large drain arches like the other side, but it was a lot of leaves.
The four fastener pockets in the plastic cowl cover have large drain slots, large enough for a good size leaf to get through. Since the heater-A/C fan pulls air across the cowl through the linkage tunnel, the leaves go that way.
I covered those four slots with fiberglass screen, RTV'd to the back side. The air holes in the drivers side of the plastic cowl cover really aren't big enough to be a problem.
Got it all back together, putting an aluminum shield over part of the wiper motor/transmission well, because I can picture in a heavy rain, with the fan on high (defrosters), where water coming off the lip could get sucked into the fan.
Poured a couple of buckets of water through it, no problem.
Friday night's rain... water on the floor.
Guess I'll have to tear the dash apart.