User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

View xtremeon20z's Photo Gallery
This might sound very silly but...

I too had a water leak inside on the passenger side put mater over the hole by the wiper motor still had a leak. Started thinking snout how the ssr sits from back being higher to front sucked all the water out followed how the metal was wet lead me to the rubber hole in the roof compartment there is one by each side. I took it out sure enough the best had melted it together cut about a 1/8 inch off bought 2 more gromlits or however u spell it haha and popped 2 1/4 holes and put dome appoxy around it so it wouldn't rust and sure enough a year later no water since.
xtremeon20z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
View VisitorJim's Photo Gallery
I looked in the top compartment and there is a very small amount of water, but i see that towards the back there are some drain holes/grommets.

the mat in the compartment wasn't wet, and there was enough water in the passenger floor that it would be noticeable if it came from the back. I also removed the long panel that covers the wires in the passenger compartment and that is 100% dry, so i don't think the water was coming from there. The most wet part of the carpet is right by the kick panel. I will do the wiper cover thing on wednesday when it is supposed to be dry. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I also notice that the rubber surround for the door is under the plastic of the kick panel (i can't post pics yet, but once i upgrade i'll post it up) but its the same on both sides. Is the rubber supposed to be under the plastic like that or should it be on top of the kick panel?
VisitorJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
View xoxoxoBruce's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisitorJim View Post
any resolution on this, Bruce? I found a scary amount of water in my passenger side this morning, looks like its coming from the kick panel area or at least pooling there. It's supposed to rain more tonight, so i think i'm leaving the truck at work in the garage until i can take the cowl apart. What scares me is that the truck sat at the dealer for who knows how long outside! (i just bought the truck last week) I am going to get in touch with the dealer and see if this is covered by the warranty that i got - if it's not i may cancel that warranty.

-Jim
Ah yes, sorry I meant to come back and post.
After much fooling around with the door, and going to the automatic car wash where I could sit inside and watch it come in, I decided any further action on my part would disturb the original set up so it wouldn't be covered by my warranty. So I took it to the dealer, they fixed it, and it wasn't covered by warranty.

What they did was pry up all the rubber strips and space them out by putting a layer of RTV (silicon sealer/caulk) behind each seal. I wasn't particularly thrilled with that solution but it did work. It's easier to be critical when there's no water on the floor.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #34 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
which rubber strips did they attack? the ones on the body of the car or the door itself? Can you post any pictures of their fix?

I'm hopefully bringing mine to the dealer on wednesday, but they're sceptical since they said it sat outside for a month before i bought it. I checked all the windows and the top and it was 100% sealed up.

I'm still nervous that it was the way the body panels are covered by the rubber on the body - i'm also wondering why they may have taken off the panel (if its not supposed to be like that)!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #35 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
I just read an article that said the NYC area got 4 inches of rain yesterday! I did really go outside when it was pouring like that but people told me it was insane. I guess it's possible that we got so much rain that the drainage couldn't keep up?? I've driven the car in the rain once before and didn't have any issue but that was a lighter rain. I still think I'll do the fix over the wiper motor. Rain test tomorrow!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 AM   #36 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Yeah, we got 5 inches and across the river they got more. 9 inches in Elmer, NJ.

They did all the rubber around the door, and up the A pillar. Pictures wouldn't show anything, after I cleaned up what squeezed out.

By the way, the pad under the carpet is about an inch thick and doesn't cover the floor completely. If you've got water on top of the carpet, you could have an inch underneath. I don't want to freak you out but it's worth checking.

Another solution is shoot a couple holes in the floor. I've seen it done.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #37 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
thank you, Bruce.

I've been soaking up water with a Sham-Wow (they really work) and letting it air out in the garage at work - I didn't want to take it home last night because it was supposed to rain again.

The dealer said to bring it in and they'd do a rain test - but i think i'm going to check it my self first tonight.

I'm not too keen on drilling holes in the floor, having a jeep i know that water comes in just as easy as it goes out when there are holes in the floor

I'll keep the thread posted
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
My SSR: (2) 05 Slingshot Yellow
View bcbear10's Photo Gallery
Jim,

Which dealer are you using in NJ and where did you purchase your vehicle?

bc
bcbear10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #39 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
I bought it from Gearheart in Denville, i'll be bringing it back there since it should be covered. I haven't dealt with their service department yet, but the sales guys were pretty cool - no real B.S. when buying the car like i've had at other dealerships.

I also noticed a sqeaking that goes with the engine RPM that they'll need to look at, sounds like a pulley to me - ah the joys of new car ownership...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
I'm not too keen on drilling holes in the floor...
Not drill, shoot.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #41 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
Thank you for the info on the carpet pad!! i just took the trim off to examine and there was still a LOT of water in that pad - i'm getting it all out right now.

I'm not sure, but i think i may have found my leak source. The big piece of rubber that seats into the corner of the window (that the door trim rubber attaches to) is loose. I also found that the passenger side A-Pillar, the painted part next to the windsheild, is missing one of the trim connectors that hold it on!

i finally saw the window motor hole (more like canyon) and i'm pretty sure that i'll be covering that up also in described in this post.

I would still really appreciate it if someone could get me a picture of how the rubber door trim is supposed to sit on door/dash trim - mine just doesn't look right to me - i would think the rubber door trim should sit on TOP of all the molded plastic.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #42 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
What a good day of SSR work - i fixed the missing connector on the trim piece, re-sealed the corner rubber piece and just finished the same mod that you did bruce - i also like the idea of the screen over the holes - i'll have to do that before fall.

I'm still concerned about the plastic being on top of the rubber door seal from the kick panel to the connection with the rubber piece that attaches to the corner. I searched pictures online and found examples of BOTH the way i have it and the way i think it should be. I felt up behind the lower dash piece and don't see how the rubber piece would really fit since it's bigger than the lip of the dash piece.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
I would still really appreciate it if someone could get me a picture of how the rubber door trim is supposed to sit on door/dash trim - mine just doesn't look right to me - i would think the rubber door trim should sit on TOP of all the molded plastic.
I'm not sure what your asking for here. Oh I know, take a picture of yours and I can tell you if mine looks the same. See, I'm not as dumb as I look.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Did you get a picture of what you're talking about?
Irene will tell you if you've got it fixed or not.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #45 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
I haven't had a chance to get any pictures, but i did notice that it seems that my whole passenger side has been taken apart and put back together - i notice the A-pillar interior plastic is on top of all the rubber seals, which is different from the driver side. This could also be a point of water i suppose.

As for Ms. Irene - I once again moved my new to my garage at work becasue as the saying goes: "In the battle of you vs. the world, bet on the world."
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Irene disappoints. She promised thrills and chills, excitement, adventure, state-of-emergency... but it appears she's just making a soggy ruined weekend cooped up in the house.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #47 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
UPDATE:

Irene didn't disappoint for some of my co-workers, some had water up through their basement into 3 feet of their first floor. Thankfully I came out ok.

I also kept my at the garage at work so no issues there.

Anyways, as i said earlier i did the wiper motor cover descibed above and got to test it today in the 2-3 inches of rain we've got. I also ran around with the blower in "super defrost" and can report that after 6 hours of downpour and 30 min of driving that i have ZERO water on/in the passenger floor.

Since it is supposed to rain for the next few days and I do not have a garage that is suitable for my SSR, this is an extended test that i will keep everyone updated on until the rain stops.

I should note that the cost of doing the aluminum flashing and "wing tape" as i call it (aluminum sticky tape). cost less than $20 at home depot and only took 30 minutes to finish (including water check). I suggest that everyone does this mod; it doesn't cost much and it will make me sleep soundly tonight. If you're in the NNJ area, i have enough wing tape left over to do probably 50 more of these mods - shoot me a PM if you want to have a tech day for this in my neighborhood.

-Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Good to hear you've got a handle on it, Jim, did you take a picture of the "plastic piece"? Don't forget to screen the holes in that cowl cover, to keep out trash like those damn maple tree pinwheels.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #49 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
Ugh

I spoke too soon!

After some rain last Wednesday (which I checked for water a few times during the storm - with no results at night) I woke up in the morning with , again, water on top of the floormat. I also noticed that the seat belt was wet and it appears that the water is coming in from the seal at the seam in the top.

Since I am still under the dealer warranty, I will bring it to them next wednesday and will not back down thanks to this forum.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Jim
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #50 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Well that sucks. We've had about 28 inches of rain since the first of August, and so for so good.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

My SSR:
'04 UltraViolet
So work, school, and wedding plans have taken all of my free time and i haven't been on here in months - i miss it!

anyways, i thought i'd send out an update on this. The dealer replaced the lower window seal and i haven't seen any water above the carpet. i haven't had the time to check under the carpet, but since it snowed in NJ and i didn't use the SSR i can only assume it's fixed. I'm still puzzled over how the nearly vertical window seal could bring so much water to the footwell when the only wet things were 2-3 feet forward of that seal. the engineer in me wants to know, but the realist says "who cares, its not wet anymore". (i did check for undocumented silicone and anything else, but it really looks like it was at the window.)

i have lots more to post about other things, so hopefully i can get back on here in the near future!

-Jim
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003, VIN 122, black
View James1's Photo Gallery
Unhappy resurrecting an ancient thread...

Folks:

I still have water sloshing on the passenger floorboard after parking overnight in the rain. I've left the car at the dealer three times; they keep replacing various rubber seals, all to no avail.

I'm convinced this leak is coming in through the cowl/firewall somewhere around the heater. I pulled the wiper arms and cowl cover myself, but simply could not locate any drain holes for the plenum, clogged or otherwise.

Help?

TIA.
James1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Original SSR Centerfold

My SSR:
04 Redline red #11672 born on 6-22-04 adopted 10-14-04 Pinstriping handpainted by "Shakey"
View dingbat's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1 View Post
Folks:

I still have water sloshing on the passenger floorboard after parking overnight in the rain.
Have the top up?
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
Highest Mileage Moderator

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256, License Plate was WOW FCTR
View WOW_FCTR's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Folks:

I still have water sloshing on the passenger floorboard after parking overnight in the rain. I've left the car at the dealer three times; they keep replacing various rubber seals, all to no avail.

I'm convinced this leak is coming in through the cowl/firewall somewhere around the heater. I pulled the wiper arms and cowl cover myself, but simply could not locate any drain holes for the plenum, clogged or otherwise.

Help?

TIA.
bump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Have the top up?

that's not even funny ....
2003 Black SSR #1256 1sb

100K miles (02/04/07)....
150K miles (10/22/08)
175K miles (3/2/10)
200K (6/9/11)
225K miles (2/1/13)
235K miles (10/5/13) 2005 SSR bought
WOW_FCTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #55 (permalink)
SSR Enthusiast

My SSR:
05, MagnaCharged, LEP Cam, Headers/Duals, 410 Gears, Pioneer Nav, Simple Engineering Goodies
View Bca8ball's Photo Gallery
Something like this can be a nightmare to find. I had a very similar experience in the late 90s on a out of warranty Dodge Stealth. After exhausting all typical attempts to find where it was coming from I did the following:
* removed the seats,
* pulled the carpet
* removed all the under-dash covers, and kick panels
* removed the plastic molding around the windshield
and basically anything I could get out of the way without major effort.

I setup drop lights and we started applying water. Once I saw where it was getting into the floor it was easier to backtrack. In this case there was a cracked weld that was hidden because it actually followed the edge of the weld bead.

Long story shorter; typically shops can shoot for corrective action and assume root cause. It is harder to justify and obtain diagnosis fees than repair charges. It has been leaking long enough and there should be signs of water travel or rain residue; best to find the actual location verses assuming changing a seal or part is going to fix it.
Bca8ball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver w/skunk stripes Dyno @ 128mph, 4.10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N, port/polished throttle
View Dicktator's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Folks:

Help?

TIA.
On Drivers side, under cowl, "cup" where wiper arm connects, below that between fender and plastic cowl is a drain. About 3" wide and 1/2" opening. See Manual

It plugs up.

I drill a 3/8" hole in the "Cup" where the wiper arm is, driver side.

Paint drill hole and water is no longer a problem and "no" it drains to the ground no where else.

Very difficult to get to OEM drain hole, see manual.

Have done several SSR's this way.

Passengers side is probably the "outside door" for air. Seal is bad. Remove cowl and you can look at door thru opening. You can remove the steel frame to get to the door.

The "Cup" where the wiper arms connect fills with water and overflows in the cab.

Dicktator

Last edited by Dicktator; 01-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Dicktator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #57 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003, VIN 122, black
Thanks to those who responded.

I retrieved the car from the dealer again today (4th time on this one problem). The mechanic showed me the small "vertical cylinder of very thin rubber" referenced in Post 13 above. It is easier to feel than to see. If your arms are sufficiently long you can reach from the driver side under the cowl directly behind the engine and feel it. It would probably be easy to see if the engine cover were removed. No need to remove the plastic cowl cover to find it, although if this cylinder is clogged, removal of the wipers and cowl cover may be necessary in order to clean it.

Anyway, rain water flow through this rubber cylinder on my car was being impeded by interference from the vacuum line running to the brake booster! We repositioned the vacuum line -- whether or not this fixes the problem remains to be seen.

Thanks again; I'll report back after another rainstorm or two...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #58 (permalink)

View xtremeon20z's Photo Gallery
Hey

Hey I too have the problem with the wiper motor leaking water can I cover that whole hole up or do just half of it
xtremeon20z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #59 (permalink)

My SSR:
2003, VIN 122, black
Unhappy

Sorry to resurect this ancient thread yet again. I was parked outdoors at the Atlanta airport last week during a hard rainstorm and I still have the problem with a sopping wet passenger floorboard. Help?

TIA.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #60 (permalink)
One Owner Club

My SSR:
'05 #20027 Yellow 6 Speed Tires and Tune
View Ripshift's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Sorry to resurect this ancient thread yet again. I was parked outdoors at the Atlanta airport last week during a hard rainstorm and I still have the problem with a sopping wet passenger floorboard. Help?

TIA.
Mine is leaking also. With pass kick panel out, using a mirror and flaslight I saw droplets of water entering at the joint of A-pillar and door gasket then runs down along edge of rubber on the metal Looks like door gasket fits over a piece of the A-pillar seal. Also water drains down inside a-pillar gasket and comes out near door hinge. With top down I poured water in the opening above sun visor and watched it come out above hinge. So don't get RTV blocking that. I will put some sealer where it needs to go but I don't want to put it all over the place. I"ll try to take a picture in the mirror of it leaking.
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.