User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Other Rides...'34 Ford & '49 Mercury
View sweet34's Photo Gallery
Question Location of Latch Cylinder and Hoses for the Top

While reading some old posts, I came across someone that posted... Sometimes you will find hose leaks at the Latch Cylinder located inside the quarter panel.

Where is the Latch Cylinder located and how do you get to it to inspect for leaks?
UPDATE...Latches are electrical with hydraulic cylinders...See post #7 by Dictator on this thread.

Does anyone know how many hoses are used to operate the top? I've located 16 and now I know from further investigation that is the total number of hoses plus 8 hydraulic cylinders.

I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me and others on this subject.

I have found no leaks at the pump or any of the lines. I can visibly see and touch (16 lines) inside the roof compartment.

Apparently I have a leak-down issue as the top works perfectly all day long but when it sits overnight....it take three up/down cycles before the top will go down as it should. Then it will work everytime until the next day. THREAD UPDATE ....It wasn't a leak down. Check my new Thread..............Roof Timeout..........Happy Dance. You'll find all the answers to all my problems.

All information greatly appreciated.

Please read post #8 for the correct information right from the SSR Top Service Manual.

Last edited by sweet34; 03-14-2013 at 01:57 PM.
sweet34 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lites,confidence by simple Engineering
View abadssr's Photo Gallery
I don't know where or how many but somewhere in here I do remember saying the hoses are norwiegen
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
one of the SoCal Nuts

My SSR:
#23198 06 Blue 3SS #375 of 532 - Birthday 12/21/05 - Took delivery 9/5/06 (2nd owner)
View BlueStreak's Photo Gallery
I belkieve 8 is the correct number of hoses. I would not try to locate the leak in a hose until you are sure there is a leak. I would watch the level in the reservoir carefully. If it is always the same with the top up and the tonneau open, and always the same with the top down and the tonneau open then I would think you are maybe having a pump problem and not a leak. Hoses are a problem to find so handle with care.

BlueStreak - One of the Blues Brothers
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
#11,458 (SOLD) #11,123 FrankenRod Build
View sheldon young's Photo Gallery
Here's a Link to an Exploded View...

2004 Chevy SSR - TS1632801 Folding Top, Electrical & Sensors LM4S15703

(I've got the Lid Latch Mechanisms for Sale on this Forum).

For Whatever Moves You

sheldon young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
H.E.I.C.

My SSR:
Originally Smokin Asphalt 03 #00099 now kustom graphics, tu-tone Kandy Lime Green/Pearl White
View FUZZY's Photo Gallery
If the fluids are bleeding out (internally not externally) then you have a problem with a check valve or solenoid not closing completely. These are part of the pump and motor assembly. If you do not know hydraulics, Dont attempt to fix it. Have service shop do this part.

If, by chance, those are fine. Then you may have to track down a bad seal inside a hydraulic ram. If the fluid bleeds past the seal it fills the opposite side and causes a presure back up or overload, which will set off the roof time out circuit.

FUZZY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Thumbs up Great Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZZY View Post
If the fluids are bleeding out (internally not externally) then you have a problem with a check valve or solenoid not closing completely. These are part of the pump and motor assembly. If you do not know hydraulics, Dont attempt to fix it. Have service shop do this part.

If, by chance, those are fine. Then you may have to track down a bad seal inside a hydraulic ram. If the fluid bleeds past the seal it fills the opposite side and causes a presure back up or overload, which will set off the roof time out circuit.
Thanks so much for your input. This is the information I'm looking for and many thanks to all others for their input.

Click on my Black Camera and see my other rides. See ya on the boulevard!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver w/skunk stripes Dyno @ 128mph, 4.10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N, port/polished throttle
View Dicktator's Photo Gallery
The hyd system is unique in that they use 8 hoses to do 16 functions. This reduces the "bulk" in the compartment. Oil is pushed in the hose in one direction for a cycle and then the same oil is pushed, in the same hose, the opposite direction for different function.

Latch Relays are in the Roof compartment, 10amp micro switch. Radio Shack.

Four bolts, cut tie wrap, gently pull up, turn over clean switch boot, sticks. Or replace micro switch.

05/06 is slightly different, has smaller switch. Plus philps screw to hold in place. BUT, same thing to repair.

Dicktator

1. Latch/four #10 bolts.
2. Lift up and turn over.
3. Switch "Stuck"
4. Spray w/ WD40 or silicone spray, switch is unstuck. Operate switch by hand several time to make sure it is properly lubricated.
Attached Thumbnails
Location of Latch Cylinder and Hoses-latch-switch.jpg   Location of Latch Cylinder and Hoses-remove-latch.jpg   Location of Latch Cylinder and Hoses-microswitch-stuck.jpg   Location of Latch Cylinder and Hoses-switch-not-stuck.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Thumbs up Mystery on hoses and latches solved!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
The hyd system is unique in that they use 8 hoses to do 16 functions. This reduces the "bulk" in the compartment. Oil is pushed in the hose in one direction for a cycle and then the same oil is pushed, in the same hose, the opposite direction for different function.

Latch Relays are in the Roof compartment, 10amp micro switch. Radio Shack.

Four bolts, cut tie wrap, gently pull up, turn over clean switch boot, sticks. Or replace micro switch.

05/06 is slightly different, has smaller switch. Plus philps screw to hold in place. BUT, same thing to repair.

Dicktator

1. Latch/four #10 bolts.
2. Lift up and turn over.
3. Switch "Stuck"
4. Spray w/ WD40 or silicone spray, switch is unstuck. Operate switch by hand several time to make sure it is properly lubricated.
Thanks Dicktator for your explanation on how the Hydraulic Cylinders work and the pictures of the 2 Micro-Switches for the Latches (post #7). Now everyone should know that our SSR's have 16 hoses and 8 hydraulic cylinders.

There are 2 Lift Supports (along with the 2 Hydraulic Cylinders) attached to the roof to help raise it to the closed position.

The Latches are located on each quarter panel in the roof compartment (post #7) and are controlled by Micro-Switches and Hydraulic Cylinders.

On each side there are 2 hoses on the 1 Roof Hydraulic Cylinder, 2 hoses on the 1 Lid Extension Hydraulic Cylinder, 2 hoses on the 1 Lid Hydraulic Cylinder and 2 hoses on the Lid Latches (you have to remove the four bolts and pull the Latch out to see them). That is a total of 8 hoses per side...times 2 which equals 16 hoses.

There are 4 Hydraulic Cylinders per side...times 2 which equals 8 Hydraulic Cylinders. Do not count the 2 Lift Supports (like on a hatchback) attached to the roof...1 on each side. They are there to help lift the roof back up into the closed position.

I took the Latches off (post #7) and checked the Micro-Switches sometime back and they were OK.

I believe my problem is hydraulics as posted earlier by a fellow SSR owner (Fuzzy...post #5). I have traced every hose and connection and did not find any leaks. Anyone know how to check the pump, valves and rams to determine which one is bad?

Love this forum!!! If a person is patient enough (waits for many postings) and analyses everything posted you can most likely come up with a solution to your problem.

Last edited by sweet34; 03-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver w/skunk stripes Dyno @ 128mph, 4.10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N, port/polished throttle
View Dicktator's Photo Gallery
My mistake, the Roof Manual which is posted on our Site I believe.

There are eight (8) cylinders and 16 hoses. Two hoses per cylinder.

One hose pushes cylinder one way, the other hose pushes cylinder back.

Sorry I said 8 hoses, I meant cylinders.

Dicktator
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
OK....Finally Solved the correct amount of Lines & Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
My mistake, the Roof Manual which is posted on our Site I believe.

There are eight (8) cylinders and 16 hoses. Two hoses per cylinder.

One hose pushes cylinder one way, the other hose pushes cylinder back.

Sorry I said 8 hoses, I meant cylinders.

Dicktator
Thanks Dicktator for all your input on the workings of the roof on the SSR.

Everyone please reread my post #8 for the corrected information.

Last edited by sweet34; 03-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Thumbs up Problems Solved!!!

Check my new Thread.......Roof Timeout.....Happy Dance and you will find how I solved all my problems.

Use the Search in the Orange Banner at the top of the page and do an Advanced Search for sweet34. Click on Threads Started by User.

Thanks for looking~Ron

Last edited by sweet34; 03-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.