5Likes
  • 1 Post By Olustee bus
  • 2 Post By carlbush
  • 1 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By Olustee bus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

May be an owner, have a radio question

I may be an owner this week. My wife wants one pretty bad. I have a collector car but it is not comfortable for her and I don't like to drive it far so she wants something that we can enjoy together. This appears to be an active forum so I think I will enjoy it here.

I would like to have bluetooth capabilities on the radio but I see no aux input. I do see an aux button but like my old 2004 pickup, it means nothing unless you take the radio out and plug something in to give you an aux port.

Am I correct that I need to do that and how much will it cost if I do it myself? Is it difficult to do it myself. I am an extremely smart person that can easily mess up a ballpeen hammer!
flamminnanner06 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I gave up my last classic car (1968 AMX) and got an SSR a month later: A/C can drive as fast as I want, stop quicker, etc. etc. First thing I did was replace the head unit as I like a backup camera, it also has bluetooth. Many have replaced the head unit, not hard just have to deal with getting the airbag out but there are tutorials here that will help.
I had to do it twice as the first head unit (Sony) I did not like so I changed to a JVC so I could turn off the screen at night but still have audio. Here is my unit and my back up camera also (mounted above the plate). Probably cost me $350 ish as I needed the interface to make the steering wheel controls work.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
one of the SoCal Nuts
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Welcome form one of the SoCal Nuts. There are adapters available that can plug into the back of the original radio to give you the capabilities you are looking for. If you click here and list the information requested you might find some locals who are willing to help you install it and can tell you a lot about your new truck. There is also a lot of information and power point instructions available here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM

My SSR:
2004 Purple born on 2/23/04 cross member, radiator support, heat shield, shift linkage, hood struts
Welcome aboard like you sold my 74 4 speed Roadrunner and got my R, always wanted a convertable that you have room for storage for traveling this fits the bill.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
Garage
If you want to keep the current OEM head unit or wait until you decide on a screen unit, many of us have used a GoGroove X2 as a bluetooth upgrade. The best FM transmitter I have ever used. Currently have them in 2 cars and never an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post

I would like to have bluetooth capabilities on the radio but I see no aux input. I do see an aux button but like my old 2004 pickup, it means nothing unless you take the radio out and plug something in to give you an aux port.
Olustee, shortly after purchasing my SSR I installed the iSimple Dualink isgm535 ($69 and up on Amazon) to my base radio. Provides for 2 aux inputs using either RCA connectors or 3mm headphone jacks (both types of connectors are on each of the two inputs). Includes the correct GM harness to make it a true plug-n-play installation. I then attached a mini-Bluetooth receiver to one of the headphone jacks and powered it through the driver-side aux power vis USB plug. Voila! ... provides Bluetooth in the SSR through the Bose sound system! Bundled and hid the cables in the ashtray panel for a clutter-free install. Sounded awesome while I had it installed! This is the type of gear you need to add Bluetooth (and a second auxiliary). By the way, the Bluetooth receiver also acts as a hands-free phone connection through the radio. When your phone rings, just press a section of the Bluetooth receiver to mute the Bluetooth music and answer the phone ... microphone is built-in.

Since then I have replaced the head unit with the Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS with Bluetooth, backup camera, Sirius XM, GPS, DVD, telephone and HD radio. I still have my stock radio and the iSimple ISGM-535 packed away in a box. I am willing to send you the iSimple gear and the Bluetooth receiver if you want to add it to your radio (you pay postage) as I won't use it again. The hardest part of the install is taking off the dash at the passenger airbag.

Cheers, and welcome to the forum, Carl
autoprof and shakatak like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the useful help.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I'd suggest you go here and let us know a little about you.
Olustee bus likes this.

SSR Fanatics.....Knowledgeable friends, just a click away.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Picked it up today. Got it from another member here. Cannot remember his forum name. The car is fantastic and I love the way it handles. Will post photos at a later date. I rely on forums a great deal and I think this is a great one.
Joshvette likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From TN to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
Olustee Bus
Welcome aboard the SSR bus, you are right this is a great place, with great people and of course great Trucks.

SHAKATAK
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 4spd, #19282, 12/14/04, Addco Sways, WindSuppressr, Lonnie Boards, 4.56 gears, FlowMastr Super44
Welcome to the FL Fanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
Picked it up today. Got it from another member here. Cannot remember his forum name. The car is fantastic and I love the way it handles. Will post photos at a later date. I rely on forums a great deal and I think this is a great one.
Congrats on pulling the trigger and welcome to the family!

If you're not too tied up tomorrow or Saturday, make the short trip to Jacksonville - we've got a rally happening and you'll meet some of the best members around!

Doug

I'm not too quick......but my truck is
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Man, I hate it but I will not be able to go. I am out of town arriving home on Friday but I have construction on my garage going on Saturday. bummer.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM

My SSR:
2005 Black Automatic
One of the first things I did when I purchased my 05 two years ago was to replace the stock radio/disc player. Pretty easy to do. The hardest part is getting the passenger side air bag cover off..LOL. Anyway there are plenty of choices that will fit the SSR's, bluetooth, USB ports, Navigation, the list goes on. All retain the use of the steering wheel controls. I do suggest that you get the one that has the brightest display....the lower priced ones have a dim display and are hard to see in the daylight. I have always gone through Crutchfield for mobile audio gear, good support and they always have the good installation instructions and right cable adapters so it just a plug in to connect with the factory speakers and amps. The aftermarket units sound better also......
Hope this helps.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!!

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.