User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Rear spoiler, 20"/22" Helo 868 Wheels, '06 Chrome Pkg., 2-Tone Katzkin seats, Magnaflow CB Exhaust
View Alex05SSR's Photo Gallery
Modified Air Filter Box:

Everyone:

I've been toying around with modifying my air filter box, removing the hood, for quite some time now. After talking with Joe ("2005SSR6speed") and him putting any of my ill effect concerns to bed, the only thing that worried me was physically messing up my air filter box in trying to remove most of the hood.

I recently bought an extra air filter box assembly from "vmax1244" in case I messed mine up. Then last Saturday, with the help of "Jax" and his trusty dremel tool, we did it. It turned out good, and today I decided to dress it up a bit more. I purchased some 1/4" wide press on bright chrome door trim molding from Advance Auto Parts.

With my de-screened MAF sensor in place with the now opened up aif filter box, I'm definitely sucking in more air. You can hear it and feel it at the higher RPMs. The truck pulls harder and longer now. BTW, I did pull the ECM fuse #27 while we were doing the hood removal.

Here are some photos of the completed installation.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Air Filter Box:-dsc00532.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-dsc00543.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-dsc00541.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-dsc00529.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-dsc00545.jpg  

Last edited by Alex05SSR; 11-24-2006 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Misspelled word and added fuse number
Alex05SSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

My SSR:
Slingshot #4619 (sold)
View Buffalo's Photo Gallery
Looks good.
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
View 2005SSR6Speed's Photo Gallery
Very nice job with the chrome moldings added for a little bling.
Authorized MagnaCharger Dealer/Distributor
2005SSR6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jim-n-Tanya

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow Vin#2062; Kenwood Stereo with JL Audio Components; ASC BodyKit; Katzkin Seats
View SSR03's Photo Gallery
Sweeeeeeet!

Very Nice cut out!

Jim K

Cardomain

SSR03@att.net
SSR03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

My SSR:
"BETSY BLUE" (AQUA BLUR) 2005 VIN #16907
View woohoo's Photo Gallery
SSR03 love the avatar! Alex05SSR Filter Box looks great.
woohoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
America Rocks
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
Very nice finishing touch with the chrome molding. Engine/bay gets better looking each month. Lookin good. Frank
Old 11-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 Silver - 6 Speed SSR - 3SS - #121621
View corvetteulose's Photo Gallery
Nice Job - I just installed a K&N Filter system and you can notice the proformance difference.
corvetteulose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Rear spoiler, 20"/22" Helo 868 Wheels, '06 Chrome Pkg., 2-Tone Katzkin seats, Magnaflow CB Exhaust
Modified Air Filter Box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSELER8 View Post
Very nice finishing touch with the chrome molding. Engine/bay gets better looking each month. Lookin good. Frank
Frank:

Thank you and the other fanatics for the compliments. Please hang in there with me on this accessorizing and customizing stuff. By doing so you'll show me that I'm not the only nutcase on this forum.

Doesn't this vehicle stimulate one's imagination and creativity?

Alex
Old 11-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 vin#111585
View grimmye's Photo Gallery

Alex you hit the nail right on the head!
grimmye
grimmye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
America Rocks
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06/6sd #100 of 134... only32 6spds..#23284
View XSELER8's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex05SSR View Post
Frank:

Alex
Definitely an artistic statement. It's a hobby/interest and it's a great one. Spend it on ourselves.....it beats giving it to a Doctor or Hospital
Old 11-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue, FPR, 6 speed, 3SS, Chrome Package #23714 BOD: 3/2/06
View Bagger's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Everyone:

I've been toying around with modifying my air filter box, removing the hood, for quite some time now. After talking with Joe ("2005SSR6speed") and him putting any of my ill effect concerns to bed, the only thing that worried me was physically messing up my air filter box in trying to remove most of the hood.

I recently bought an extra air filter box assembly from "vmax1244" in case I messed mine up. Then last Saturday, with the help of "Jax" and his trusty dremel tool, we did it. It turned out good, and today I decided to dress it up a bit more. I purchased some 1/4" wide press on bright chrome door trim molding from Advance Auto Parts.

With my de-screened MAF sensor in place with the now opened up aif filter box, I'm definitely sucking in more air. You can hear it and feel it at the higher RPMs. The truck pulls harder and longer now. BTW, I did pull the ECM fuse #27 while we were doing the hood removal.

Here are some photos of the completed installation.

Alex
Nice....What lake is that I see in the background?

2006 Pac Blue, 3SS, 6 speed, #23714
2006 FLHTCUSE CVO
1985 5.7 "Z10" Blazer

"Jesus must have owned a Ford...since he walked everywhere he went"
Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Bagger:

The lake that's part of my "back yard" is Lyman Lake, just east outside of Greenville, SC. It is a 660 acre reservoir built many years ago. It's unbelievably peaceful and quiet, since no jet skis are allowed and the maximum motor size is 90 hp outboard and 135 hp inboard.

My biggest largemouth bass caught on it to date is a 9 lb.-1 oz., although I've lost several larger bass. My middle brother caught a 10 lb.-7 oz. bass while visiting me last year during Thanksgiving week. My largest fish caught on the lake was a 38 lb.-8 oz. blue catfish that I caught while bass fishing. What a ride and rush that was on 12 lb. test line.

Alex
Old 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
I've been toying around with modifying my air filter box ........... Alex
Just when I think I've seen it all you come up with something new! Very functional and a nice visual touch as well It must be all that fresh air and good living by the lake that sparks all that imagination

Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Very nice Alex. I REALLY like it!!
Question, aren't you concern about not having some type of removable screen over the opening to keep those bugs off the filter. Maybe you don't need it now during the cold winter, but when spring/summer comes around, you'll find some ugly looking bugs smach up against your air filter. (maybe you can reuse those bugs for fly fishing) - Jeff
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue, FPR, 6 speed, 3SS, Chrome Package #23714 BOD: 3/2/06
View Bagger's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Bagger:

The lake that's part of my "back yard" is Lyman Lake, just east outside of Greenville, SC. It is a 660 acre reservoir built many years ago. It's unbelievably peaceful and quiet, since no jet skis are allowed and the maximum motor size is 90 hp outboard and 135 hp inboard.

My biggest largemouth bass caught on it to date is a 9 lb.-1 oz., although I've lost several larger bass. My middle brother caught a 10 lb.-7 oz. bass while visiting me last year during Thanksgiving week. My largest fish caught on the lake was a 38 lb.-8 oz. blue catfish that I caught while bass fishing. What a ride and rush that was on 12 lb. test line.

Alex
Stop it!!!! Don't want to hear no more...I'm getting home sick!. Bass fishing in Lake Meade is nothing compared to the southeast. I got a 9.4 bass on the wall at work that came from the Sparkelberry Swamp area of Santee Cooper. Hopefully in about 10-11 more years I'll be retired somewhere there in the NC/SC moutains.

2006 Pac Blue, 3SS, 6 speed, #23714
2006 FLHTCUSE CVO
1985 5.7 "Z10" Blazer

"Jesus must have owned a Ford...since he walked everywhere he went"
Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Modified Air Filter Box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Rod View Post
Very nice Alex. I REALLY like it!!
Question, aren't you concern about not having some type of removable screen over the opening to keep those bugs off the filter. Maybe you don't need it now during the cold winter, but when spring/summer comes around, you'll find some ugly looking bugs smach up against your air filter. (maybe you can reuse those bugs for fly fishing) - Jeff
Jeff:

That was a concern of mine as well as water intrusion. There are holes at the bottom of the air filter box to let any water escape. As far as the bugs are concerned, it's a long narrow opening between the bottom of the hood and the top of the chevron bar to begin with, and with the way the air gets funneled in, bugs could make it in anyway even with the hood in place, the way I see it. If you havenít already, please closely examine the front end of you truck with the hood closed. There is no way a bug or any object for that matter can make it to the air filter, directly exposed or not, in a straight line as a direct hit. Any object will deflect off of and upward from the large black plastic trim piece above the chevron bar. With that deflected path, I donít even think having the hood on would stop everything. But again, it canít and wonít be a direct impact against the air filter.

I'm sure the air filter box hood serves a purpose, indeed maybe somewhat as a "bug deflector" or even as some have suggested as an ďair funnelerĒ. However, for me, knowing I could cram a bit more air into the system and squeeze out a few extra ponies (I can feel and hear it), it was worth making this "freebie" mod. Also, when I see that the folks from Callaway Engineering have done this very same thing to their "juiced up" SSR, I'm alright with it. We'll see next summer for sure, when itís bring on the bugs time.

Alex
Old 11-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
I have been running around with my Air Filter Box Modified for over a year and have never had any issues at all. I will say that it does attract attention when the hood is up. I modified another air filter box a while ago that was a little different too. We cut out the indented areas of the shield so you could see through it to the filter but the shield was still there. Maybe he will post a picture of his too.

Here is a picture of mine when I first did it:

Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
2005SSR6Speed:

Thanks for reposting that photo of your modified air filter box. It was this photo and your write up on it that gave me the notion to do the same. It's great for folks to hear and see no ill effects from this free modification from you having run with it for over a year.

Alex
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Dragon2U:

Thanks for the compliment. We're going to have to meet someday to compare notes, as we seem to have similar tastes in accessorizing and customizing our rides.

Yep, I'm very fortunate to live in the location and situation where I do. It is our full-time home and not a weekend place. I'm only 18 miles from work and only 6 miles from "total civilization", yet still well removed.....an unbeatable combination.

BTW, I really like your new ad/link for your billet engine fluid cap covers!

Alex
Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow #13151
View striaghtup's Photo Gallery
Finally

Geesh! finally something we can do to our SSr's without buying someones $300.00 kit. Looks great!
striaghtup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Modified Air Filter Box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by striaghtup View Post

Geesh! finally something we can do to our SSr's without buying someones $300.00 kit. Looks great!
straightup:

My sentiments exactly. As I said earlier, when Callaway Engineering elected to do the same thing instead of going with a complete aftermarket system (K&N) or designing one of their own, that speaks volumes to me.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Modified Air Filter Box:-ssr7.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-ssr6.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-ssr2.jpg   Modified Air Filter Box:-ssr5.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
OC

My SSR:
2005 REDLINE RED
View OC's Photo Gallery
Air Box

Just another mod. Not quite as much removed. My 2 cents. They all look good and have to improve the air flow.

Last edited by OC; 01-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
OC:

Thanks for adding the photos of your modified air filter box. It looks really good and still adds a bit of a "bug screen" for those concerned. You might want to post here as well what the screen material is that you used, where you got it, and most importantly how you attached it to the air filter box.

Alex
Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
OC

My SSR:
2005 REDLINE RED
View OC's Photo Gallery
Screen

The screen material that I used can be bought but I used the screen that came off of a air filter from a case backhoe air filter. Heavy equipment air filters are covered on the outside with material to give them a rigid form so not to collapse. I made one from a sheet of stainless steel that has the diamond cut outs 1st but the gauge of material was to thick and would not make the fit that this screen makes. The trick is to make the screen fit the OD. of your cut out and still be able to have material to hold the screen in place from the back.This screen is put in from the back side with the lip of the screen being your attachment point to the air hood. The material that the hood made of is hard to get any thing to stick to. I tied several things that resulted in a mess to clean up with no luck of adhering. Finally I cleaned the inside of the air filter hood with a lacquer paint thinner and sanded it enough to give me a rough finish and applies the old faithful 3m black weather strip adhesion and poof, it stayed. Have run the SSR to a a speed that I will not reveal and it is still in place.
OC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 6spd,magnacharger,4:10s,2.9 pulley,corvettte TB, hotchkiss,short shifter,conti UHP's, Mikes fans,
View FlashBack's Photo Gallery
Alex and OC, thanks for the photos Both airboxes look great. I have been thinking about doing something with mine for awhile now and you have given us some good ideas
Alex, where did you get those pictures of the Calloway SSR? I wish I could get those engine covers to put next to my supercharger, but Calloway says they are not available

Last edited by FlashBack; 11-26-2006 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typos
FlashBack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
I have a box full of blems and some new prototype covers in my garage. I stopped making those covers about 4 years ago. I used to make them for the Camaro, FireBird and Street Rods that wanted to use the LS1 engines.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Callaway SSR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0scSSR View Post
Alex and OC, thanks for the photos Both airboxes look great. I have been thinking about doing something with mine for awhile now and you have given us some good ideas
Alex, where did you get those pictures of the Calloway SSR? I wish I could get those engine covers to put next to my supercharger, but Calloway says they are not available
6.0scSSR:

Below is the website link where I got the photos of the Callaway SSR.

BTW, have you all noticed that the folks who have the superchargers have a somewhat modified backside of the air filter box, where it tapers into the air tube? I'm assuming that apparently must come with the supercharger kit. Is that correct? I wonder if this tapered backside is available as a stand alone piece? I've seen photos of 4 or 5 different SSR's that have a supercharger and they all have this tapered backside to the air filter box.

http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/C...ember/cotm.htm

Alex
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
The rear portion of the air filter box is part of the kit. It is made so the flange for the Throttle Body is moved over for the drive shaft of the Supercharger so it wont work on a non-supercharged vehicle.

I can sell you one but it is expensive and comes with a supercharger!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
Certified SSR "Nutcase"

My SSR:
Rear Portion of Air Filter Box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005SSR6Speed View Post
The rear portion of the air filter box is part of the kit. It is made so the flange for the Throttle Body is moved over for the drive shaft of the Supercharger so it wont work on a non-supercharged vehicle.

I can sell you one but it is expensive and comes with a supercharger!
2005SSR6Speed:

Thanks for the reply and info. Somehow I was afraid that you'd say that. I'd love to entertain that notion, but I've already spent a "wad" this summer on my truck (loved every minute of it), but for now a total "facelift" for the house is the current order of big bucks business.

Alex
Old 11-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
VIN# 19184 - 13 Dec 04
No problem at all. Just keep the SSR happy too with all the free mods you have been doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.