User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
View shiftz33's Photo Gallery
Power Steering Pump Replacement

My 2004 SSR's power steeing pump (bearing) appears to be making some noise when cold and it gets quieter (but not completely gone) when warm.

In the service manual it states I'll have to do the following
  • Remove the drive belt
  • Remove the PCM from the PCM mounting bracket
  • Remove the power steering pressure hose
  • Remove the power steering return hose
  • Remove the three power steering mounting bolts
  • Remove the pump from the engine compartment
  • Remove the power steering pump pulley - special tool - J25034-C = Remover / J25033-C = Installer
  • Remove the power steering reservoir

Reverse that list and then bleed the system when installed.

My concern is the removal and installation of the pulley using a special tools which I don't have. Can this be safely performed without the special tools? The special tools are $100 EACH.

I would imagine I would also need to purchase a seal kit to get what's required to make sure the reservoir installation onto the new pump would be leak free.

Has anyone done this on their own?

Would this be a good task for the upcoming 4th annual tech session?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Robert
04 Chevy SSR | 13 Infiniti G37x Sedan | 04 Ford Thunderbird PCR #428 | 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
shiftz33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lites,confidence by simple Engineering
View abadssr's Photo Gallery
robert do not do it with out the tools.....you can rent it from kragens or one of the stores you will tweek the pulley ...marc abadssr sorry I dont have one
Old 05-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
6 Speed Rocket #2005
View hdflstf's Photo Gallery
Pulley R&R can be done without tools but only if the pulley isn't a really tight fit. If you need to start prying or think of using a gear puller, it's time for the special tools..
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lites,confidence by simple Engineering
View abadssr's Photo Gallery
I would be very worried if the p/s pulley was tite . its aneasy job just with the right tool part of the tool goes over the end of the pulley the another part of the tool goes over the first part . thus clamping the puller part on to the pulley then with a bolt and air gun (or ratchet and socket it pulls it right off it like a 3 minute job
hey robert pull the pump off and take it too a shop to pull off and reinstall
Old 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
My local AutoZone was willing to "rent" a kit with a installer/puller in it for 90 days with a $30 refundable deposit. I rented the kit today.

Their supplier for P/S pumps was out of stock. I guess I'll be ordering one (along with a seal kit) from rockauto.com because I can't find another supplier with a lower overall cost.
04 Chevy SSR | 13 Infiniti G37x Sedan | 04 Ford Thunderbird PCR #428 | 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 slingshot yellow #10345
View RODZILLA's Photo Gallery
ps pump?

i have same year how many miles ? has this been a problem with SSR's ? was just wondering pm's welcome
RODZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
My 2004 SSR has 11,910 miles on it as of today.

I purchased with in 11/2009 with 8250 on it.

I've been driving it weekly to the SF Bay area for my new job at Yahoo!.

I've noticed the power steering pump started making noise around the 11K mile mark.

I'm not sure this is a wide spread SSR problem, but in my search on the internet today I've certainly found the GM / AC-Delco pump has been replaced a fair amount due to noise issues.

My other SSRs did not seem to have this problem.

I also seem to have a loose drive belt idler pulley bearing (idler pulley can wobble a fair amount) which make a little noise and the belt tensioner is also a bit noisy. I'm replacing those as well, but the one making the loudest noise is the power steering pump.

This SSR was out of service for about 2 years before I purchased it so sitting around like it did and then going into normal/heavy usage simply may have pushed these marginally ok parts over to become noisy/bad ones.

Lucky me!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
2005 Silver/Automatic
View cajunssr's Photo Gallery
Hey, I just went through this with my 05'....it was NOT a easy pump to find! Here in Louisiana, I searched everywhere from the dealers to the net. The best deal was at a parts house called "Bumper to Bumper". They were able to get a Delco "REMAN" P/S pump part #36-517162 and it costed me $119.00......Just to let you know about that pulley, use the rent kit to pull it, the new pump comes with the installer. Here's the problem...you must put the reservior on the pump then install the pulley while off, then install on truck! Make sure that the pulley goes all the way down till the shaft just peaks out the collar. I had to add a nut under the installer too to get down far enough. If you don't the belt will be out of line and it will squeal! There is also a special bleeding proceedure, before you start the engine, you must lift both front wheels off the ground. Fill the system with the proper fluid and turn the steering wheel back and forth side to side at least 25 times. (Per the GM parts sub-notes) then start engine, get it hot and make sure it's not the least bit over filled or under filled. If you need anymore help, just PM me.
cajunssr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunssr View Post
Hey, I just went through this with my 05'....it was NOT a easy pump to find! Here in Louisiana, I searched everywhere from the dealers to the net. The best deal was at a parts house called "Bumper to Bumper". They were able to get a Delco "REMAN" P/S pump part #36-517162 and it costed me $119.00......Just to let you know about that pulley, use the rent kit to pull it, the new pump comes with the installer. Here's the problem...you must put the reservior on the pump then install the pulley while off, then install on truck! Make sure that the pulley goes all the way down till the shaft just peaks out the collar. I had to add a nut under the installer too to get down far enough. If you don't the belt will be out of line and it will squeal! There is also a special bleeding proceedure, before you start the engine, you must lift both front wheels off the ground. Fill the system with the proper fluid and turn the steering wheel back and forth side to side at least 25 times. (Per the GM parts sub-notes) then start engine, get it hot and make sure it's not the least bit over filled or under filled. If you need anymore help, just PM me.
Thanks for the additional info!

I was able to locate the reman AC Delco power steering pump 36-517162 at rockauto.com for $111.99 ($94 core charge).
Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
Remanufactured ACDelco Power Steering Pump - Installed

Well, that was fun.

Since I have an 04 SSR, I had to remove the PCM. That was interesting in that getting to the bolt on the side of the electrical connectors was a bit tight.

I removed the OEM power steering pump without much of a "problem".

The pulley removal wasn't too bad. The pulley installation on the new pump - OMG. It kept trying to go on at an angle. It seems the tools I rented from AutoZone had a slight bend to the pulley installer. It even put a small lip on the inside of the pulley. I was able to shave down the lip the first attempt created and I finally got it installed.

The o-ring supplied with the new pump for the reservoir was causing a leak. The original o-ring is just a bit larger/thicker. I had to remove the reservoir from the pump while it was on the engine. Again

It's installed now without any leaks, but this pump is a bit noisier than the OEM pump under load. The OEM pump was being replaced due to a bearing noise.

I compared the new pump operational noise with my 2010 Camaro's power steering pump, and it's not much different (maybe 10 percent louder).

At least it's installed and without any leaks.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red #12526 Born on 07-21-04
View ubuck's Photo Gallery
shiftz33:
The pump might still be cavitating a bit. I might quiet down some more after you drive it a bit.
ubuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
View xoxoxoBruce's Photo Gallery
Glad you're back on the road, crank up the tunes and mash the loud pedal.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur 6 Speed #20909
View GOT BLUR's Photo Gallery
Robert, glad to hear you got it running again without to much trouble.
GOT BLUR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
After a month with the remanufactured AC-Delco power steering pump installed in my 04 SSR, I couldn't take the whine any more.

I called RockAuto.com and had them ship out another one (under warranty). I installed remanufactured power steering pump #2 yesterday.

It's a good amount better/quieter than the first one but this one too has a RPM specific whine. The first one had a RPM specific and load specific whine.

I should have kept the OEM pump in place, the bearing noise it was making was nothing like the whine of these replacement pumps.

I've used all of the bleeding tricks. I purchased the specialty bleeding tools to bleed these pumps (per the GM manual) and it still has not completely resolved the pump whine.

I've tried to locate a "new" power steering pump for the SSR, but I cannot find anything except remanufactured ones.

If anyone knows of a place to purchase a "new" power steering pump, I'd love to know about it!

-- Robert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow/Ghost Flames. Chrome. WindsuppreSSR.MPD Spoilers Vin 05668 Adopted on 11-1-07
View Sharptoys's Photo Gallery
Have you checked here!

GMParts4U.com

P/s pump, ssr - power - POWER
03-05 $349.19 $5.00 $228.90
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
That doesn't tell me if it's remanufactured or not, but since there is a "core" price associated with it more than likely it's remanufactured as well.

I've sent a PM to RSSRTOY to see if he has any insight on this matter.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow 8416
I ended up asking RSSRTOY to locate a GM (ACDELCO) "new" power steering pump. As a previous post suggested the new pump does now come with a $5 core charge so the pump that Sharptoys pointed out was likely for a new power steering pump.

RSSRTOY was able to get me the new pump for nearly rebuilt prices. Thanks Mark (RSSRTOY)!

I just finished the install of the "new" power steering pump. This one went in just like I expected and I was able to bleed it very quickly with the Mitivac vacuum pump/bleeding tool.

The new power steering pump is nice and quiet
Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

View MnMsToy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
I ended up asking RSSRTOY to locate a GM (ACDELCO) "new" power steering pump. As a previous post suggested the new pump does now come with a $5 core charge so the pump that Sharptoys pointed out was likely for a new power steering pump.

RSSRTOY was able to get me the new pump for nearly rebuilt prices. Thanks Mark (RSSRTOY)!

I just finished the install of the "new" power steering pump. This one went in just like I expected and I was able to bleed it very quickly with the Mitivac vacuum pump/bleeding tool.

The new power steering pump is nice and quiet
Thanks for the update and info....
MnMsToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.