Chevy SSR Forum banner

R wont work

5K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  Mike in AZ 
#1 ·
Turn the key to start, nothing, no click, no sound, however the dash lights for the various functions go out. Check the usual suspects, new battery, new ignition switch, checked all the appropriate fuses, arced across the started relay, starter does work. Any one have an idea, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who does, I've exhausted my ideas.

#5 ·
I had a problem that sounds the same. When you turn the key to start do the gauges show a drain like it wants to start the lights dim. It could be the starter go under the truck on the passenger side you will need to jack it up and tape the starter with a hammer than try to start it. Mine started after I hit it with a hammer ( not hard just a tap ). I drove to a shop and had the starter replaced end of my problems. Hope it helps you

#7 ·
Check to see how many volts you are getting at the S terminal of your starter motor when you turn the ignition key. I think you need at least 9 volts for the starter to work. If you aren't getting any volts it's probably your ignition switch or your neutral safety switch. Did this just start happening? Does it happen every time you try to start? Have you recently replaced the ignition switch?

#10 ·
Basic steps:

1) Check the "Ignition A" fuse #39.
2) Check the "Ignition E" fuse #23.
3) Pull the "Starter" relay #43 and temporarily swap it with the "PWR/TRN" relay #42.

If these prove ineffective, you will need to get a voltmeter and start following the circuitry backward from the starter solenoid. Use page 6-320 of the Service Manual for connections, PIN numbers and wire colors......

Regards,

Mike

#11 ·
Clicking Quote doesn't work for me on this web site. Adminstataion problem, 4 days now!

Err Message:
Most likely causes:
•The website is under maintenance.
•The website has a programming error.

Had to copy paste:
Turn the key to start, nothing, no click, no sound, however the dash lights for the various functions go out. Check the usual suspects, new battery, new ignition switch, checked all the appropriate fuses, arced across the started relay, starter does work. Any one have an idea, I would be grateful to hear from anyone who does, I've exhausted my ideas.

Check How to Library for Park Solenoid, could be bad.

NEED Brake switch, Park Switch and ignition to ALL work for starter to turn.

Dicktator

#12 ·
I have two keys, in the past, when used the display registered "Driver 1" and when the other key was used it registered "Driver 2". Now on the display both key register "driver 1", I don't know if that is significant, but something has changed.

#15 ·
Check How to Library for Park Solenoid, could be bad.

NEED Brake switch, Park Switch and ignition to ALL work for starter to turn.

Dicktator[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I agree -- car still hibernatinig -- I know i have started my car by reaching in the window - i do not think brake switch input required to start - only to shift out of gear or put down top.
Someone care to try it that has a similar car?

#17 ·
R won't work

Hi Dadeow,

I would first like to pay homage to ED in FL, Dicktator, Dragon2U, and all others who helped with the library. And me with my troubles.
This one source is UNMATCHABLE in it's literature,photos and how to's.
I just bought my 05 R a few weeks back. Immediately I began to experience problems. While waiting for my tow I had time to visit the forum and trouble shoot.
It seems our cars have some inherent troubles which Chevrolet will not recognize. Chevy says ,"not enough of the cars were produced to create bulletins for repair" , hence the UNMATCHABLE LIBRARY !
The one true "car stopper" is the fuse box. I do not know if this is your problem. It was mine , within the first week of driving my R.
You and I have some similar issues tho. Dash lites. My dash lites were not working properly , yet , I did not even know it. (New car to me).
Once I followed info in the Library and help from Dicktator,EDinFL,and Dragon2U, I was able to repair my fuse box , (a $800-$900item) for few bucks, some time ,patience,know how,and commonsense. (glasses)
The bad wire spoken about by Ed and repaired by him , if you send the box, is a car stopper. I also found other wires in my fuse box , which were corroded beyond use,had too many bends (creating heat) and incorrect routing from the factory. Chevy will happily sell you a new box,
$900 , with bad wires. Why waste the time.
With Ed's help , I changed out the "bad wire" car stopper, and 3 more wires which I felt were also bad. In my opinion, these 4 were, for sure, my troubles.
My R is now running Great ! with dash lites I did not see before???
And BEST of all is not QUITTING UNEXPECTEDLY like my old Apple used to.
The 3 wires I replaced , specifically the corroded wire,could have had something to do with it. And the 4th wire (Ed's Bad Wire ) for sure had all to do with it, car stopper!
I would not wait to open the Fuse box, for an inspection, if you are up to it. I had previously posted pics of wires I recently replaced. I have reposted them for you,here. For Ed's wire , see the library. And as Ed pointed out , the fuse box has two sides ,once split open.
Good Luck.
AND Many Many Thanks to the guys on this site
BTW I did not know the site was not work badly ? Seems ok to me.

Sincerely,

Chris

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks for the detailed feedback, the family depends on information coming in from the field to put together the data base that's saved so many butts.

The information you share today, may save someone in trouble from calling you at 3AM.:glol

#19 ·
R still wont work; I've replaced battery, starter switch, disassembled the fuse box all the wires look good w/continuity by my multi-meter, the park/neutral switch is functional. Removed the ECM plugs and cleaned the contacts with spray cleaner. I've physically checked the 3 ground points, two in the back a the one right behind the radiator. The starter relay is not energized when the you turn the key to the start position, because I believe the ECM is not supplying a ground. Any ideas before I have the darling towed to the local dealer?

#20 ·
SSR Won't Start

You have not mentioned whether or not you have tried plugging in a good OBD scanner to check for any error codes. The GM Tech 2 would execute the most comprehensive set of diagnostics but a basic scanner would show if there are any common powertrain-related faults causing the condition. Consider trying that next.

#25 ·
R still wont work; I've replaced battery, starter switch, disassembled the fuse box all the wires look good w/continuity by my multi-meter, the park/neutral switch is functional. Removed the ECM plugs and cleaned the contacts with spray cleaner. I've physically checked the 3 ground points, two in the back a the one right behind the radiator. The starter relay is not energized when the you turn the key to the start position, because I believe the ECM is not supplying a ground. Any ideas before I have the darling towed to the local dealer?

Relay 43 does not click, however when I remove the relay, pin 86 and 30 show 12 volts, when I take the relay out and put 12 volts to pin 86 and ground pin 85 the relay does work.

#27 ·
I was out of town for a meeting in San Antonio, a local detail shop was to pick up my truck to wax it. He called me that morning said it would not start, had a bad battery. When I got home a couple of days latter, I confirmed it would not turn over, although the battery seemed good, I replaced it, when that didn't work I replaced the starter switch. I've had the truck 4 1/2 years and prior to this have had no trouble at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.