User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 FPR Silver 3SS with Chrome Package
View js73751's Photo Gallery
Silver Paint Problem ????

Anyone here have a problem with, or heard about a problem with the Silver paint on the SSR? Looking at an 06 that has what appears to be a whitish blush under the clearcoat on the rear fender. Looks like a white clouding instead of the Silver. Paint suface is smooth. I was told by a salesman at the dealership that he has seen Corvettes that have the same problem with the Silver color. Truck is still under warranty so I would hope that it would be covered.
js73751 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Formerly an O-Six with 3 Pedals
View Maui Mike's Photo Gallery
Contact member, ggoat. Jeff will tell you all about it.
Maui Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Clutch Killer

My SSR:
2006 FPR 6 speed Silver w/ Blue Flames by Juan Perlata www.airkolors.com
View waysouth6speed's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Mike View Post
I hadn't heard anything about this... come on Mike, out with it! What's that all about?

Plays with fire....

Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
View BluDragon's Photo Gallery
Just so you know... I just did a fairly extensive search on the web for any known silver paint problems on any GM or Chevy cars and I couldn't find anything. Maybe one of the GM guys here can see if there is a TSB on it?
BluDragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Formerly an O-Six with 3 Pedals
View Maui Mike's Photo Gallery
Personal opinion, I think js's problem is seperation of clear coat from paint causing the clouding.

Last edited by Maui Mike; 03-13-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Maui Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

View Sidekick's Photo Gallery
Only issue I have heard is that some knuckleheads think it is bondo and paint lesser colors over it, I guess to slow their SSRs down a bit!
Sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Mike View Post
Thanks for the reference. I read his posts about his paint but they do not describe the clouding under the clearcoat (just a lot of other quality
issues).
Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluDragon View Post
Just so you know... I just did a fairly extensive search on the web for any known silver paint problems on any GM or Chevy cars and I couldn't find anything. Maybe one of the GM guys here can see if there is a TSB on it?
Thank you for checking on it. js
Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

My SSR:
Anyone else?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

My SSR:
2004 UV with flames #10443 (BOD: 05-24-04), 2005 "Sinister SSR"#19055 (BOD: 12-09-04)
View vettegirl's Photo Gallery
I'm not sure exactly what his paint issue was, but I know a local owner Largossr05 (Alex) just had his dealership re-paint the front of his . Maybe he can help. Good luck!
vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
View BluDragon's Photo Gallery
Personally, I think Maui Mike is correct. I've seen that cloudy effect on other vehicles when the clear coat is separating from the base coat. If it's a 06 and it's under warrantee still I'd have the dealer either look at fixing it under warrantee or if they are not a GM dealer, let you take it to a GM dealer to see if it would be covered. I would think it would.
BluDragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

My SSR:
06 six speed pacific blue over smokin asphalt
View blknblu's Photo Gallery
Same Probelm

Hey gang, I do not think that this is a silver only issue. I have the Pacific Blue over black and on the hood just above the chevrolet grill insert I have a perfect white circle. Again, the paint is smooth. Not sure what this is but it appeared about a week ago.
blknblu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

View RAIDER KEITH's Photo Gallery
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by js73751 View Post
Anyone here have a problem with, or heard about a problem with the Silver paint on the SSR? Looking at an 06 that has what appears to be a whitish blush under the clearcoat on the rear fender. Looks like a white clouding instead of the Silver. Paint suface is smooth. I was told by a salesman at the dealership that he has seen Corvettes that have the same problem with the Silver color. Truck is still under warranty so I would hope that it would be covered.
I had an issue with the paint on my retractable roof .On the driver side there was a basketball size spot that was off color, it just did not match the rest of the truck, it was a dull finish & the oregenal dealer would not fix it. I kept reminding them the paint was a problem, still they would side step the problem .When the dealership in Hemet seen it they told me it was'nt even Chev. paint.I then talked to the owner in Hemet & he made a few calls ,& then decided to make me a very happy SSR owner & fix it for me.My SSR is silver also,so maybe I had the same issue.
Raider Keith;
Sometimes these dealers can be very hard to deal with.
RAIDER KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pace SSR Custodian

Location: About as far East as you can go before you hit salt water.

My SSR:
2005 Allstate 400 Pace SSR #2 of 2 Built
View CQQL_SSR's Photo Gallery
I remember reading about this problem on the Prowler site. I think they said the problem was moisture.
The vehicle would have to be left out in the sun to dry. Do not use a dryer on it because you could burn the clear coat.
I think they said it was caused by using an all weather car cover that trapped the moisture on the vehicle for an extended period of time.

I will go back and do a search there to see what I can find.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

My SSR:
Rev'in Mr. Black...bad ass 1995 Impala SS w/383 Stroker
View poppa's Photo Gallery
Moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by js73751 View Post
It seems to me there was a post on here last year applying to all colors, regarding the extended use of a bra. The bra trapped moisture and allowed it to penetrate the clear coat making the finish appearto "blush". As I recall the cure was to take the bra off and allow the moisture to bake off in the sun. Maybe your condition was caused by long term use of a car cover. Its worth a try.
poppa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

My SSR:
Many thanks for all the responses. It will give me some info to present to the dealer. So far they have been very cooperative. Joe
Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

View JimGnitecki's Photo Gallery
There is one other possibility: the vehilce may have been damaged in that area, and repainted by the dealership. If so, they would naturally be reluctant to talk about a "GM warranty" repair, since they know that in fact THEY need to pay for the repair.

Don't assume I am being paranoid.

At the height of the Ford dealers' marking up of prices on the Thunderbird, I was visiting a Ford dealer in Florida, and noticed a brand new Thunderbird in the body shop with a big dent in its driver's door. I casually asked about it, and the salesman I was with said it had been hit on their lot by one of their lot people, and was in the shop for repair.

I mentioned how the value of that specific car would be greatly diminished as a result of the damage repair, since T-birds were being sold as "collectibles" at that point (another sad story itself). He assured me that the repair would be "perfect" and I always wondered if the new onwer would be told before he bought the car.

I have been told by good bodymen that an experienced one can tell instantly if a vehicle has been repaired. I'd try to bring along an INDEPENDENT body/paint man (NOT the dealer's guy), and see what he says. If the vehicle has been repaired, and especially if repaired not perfectly (as evidenced by the clouding), its value is diminished, and the repair WILL be spotted by a pro buyer when someday you sell it.

This is just a POSSIBILITY, and it is entirely possible that the clouding IS a factory defect on this specific vehicle, but better to be forewarned about the possibility of it being something different, in which case you have only the DEALER to rely on for a "warranty" repair, not GM. Note the comment in one of the earlier posts on this thread about "it's not even GM paint". The forensics could be interesting.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

My SSR:
Thanks for your advice. I will be bringing a buddy who is a painter out to look at the truck before I finalize the purchase. As far a being paranoid, I don't think so. I too know of a similar situation that took place recently with a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. Always better to be safe. Again I appreciate your input. Joe
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
View ggoat!!!'s Photo Gallery
Hi everyone...

Regarding a silver paint problem, the silver paint itself isn't a problem. I don't think the problems I had with my truck's paint are the same as the original poster's, as I don't have any "whitish" spots.

However, I DO have some spots on my driver's fender top and the tailgate that are very susceptible to the angle of light, and appear as different colored "spots." What these areas are, however, are areas where underneath the silver basecoat, sanding was done. Either to remove trash, debris, spots, etc...certain spots were sanded before the basecoat, and simply not sanded well-and not with the proper grade of sandpaper.

This is exhibited as scratches UNDER the silver basecoat. You can't feel them, or see them when you look at the overall smoothness of the clear...but you can see them in the way the light REFLECTS. The metallic silver basecoat is "sitting" in the ragged edges of the harsh sanding lines just underneath it, which shines slightly different in different light angles. Any area sanded this way exhibits this "look." Since most "spot sanding" is usually in little literal "spots," they appear more or less round. There is enough basecoat silver and clearcoat on the truck that you don't actually "see" the scratches (besides the illusion of spots caused by the above) as they have been leveled off by the painting and/or polishing process creating an overall "smooth" top layer. The thicker the clearcoat the less you "feel" the sanding imperfections.

I have several spots on my tailgate, but it is very difficult to see due to the angle of the gate. I'm not worried about them. The driver's fender, on the other hand, is hideous. As the paint has shrunk over time it got worse, and the spots are simple to see. But, once you see them, it's clear (no pun intended) what they are caused by...poor spot sanding with too harsh of a grit sandpaper just before applying the color basecoat. I'll have it fixed if I ever find someone who can do competent work down here in Louisiana.

Other colors exhibit this too...but are more difficult to spot. The silver merely showcases it more than other colors. Yellow is so bright that it hides it, and the darker colors naturally mask it.

Bear in mind that this is NOT exhibited as a "milkiness." If you DO have a milky section, what that is is the clearcoat separating from the basecoat. It must be repaired. Over time, as it dries and separates more, you will be able to literally pull it off with your fingernails. Any moisture or air between paint layers WILL cause that paint to eventually fail.

The two tone trucks have a LOT of clear as they have been clearcoated TWICE (the trucks were originally painted one solid color and cleared, then the second color was added (after surface prep on the clear) and the entire truck was cleared AGAIN-this was from the paint manager at Lansing). If the prep was not done properly on each clearcoat process the paint can separate on either of the two clear layers...even the layer that has been painted over solid with the two tone's 2nd color.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

Last edited by ggoat!!!; 03-16-2008 at 07:54 PM.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

My SSR:
Hi Jeff. Yes it helped a lot. It definitely sounds like the clearcoat is separating from the color coat. There was one very small area where it looked like if I picked at it it would flake off. I would presume that the finish must be taken down to the color coat and then re-cleared?
Thanks, Joe
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
View ggoat!!!'s Photo Gallery
Sadly, that's the only way to repair it. However...it will most probably have to have the silver reshot and blended in (difficult to do due to the angle of the metallic...but not for a REAL painter) as it is nearly impossible to sand down the clear withOUT harming or altering the silver metallic in relation to the exact character of the metallic. It IS possible, however...with a GOOD painter.

Usually what happens however is the person prepping it will sand the clear (since the goal is to REMOVE the lifting clear) too much in spots, which will create more of a splotchy appearance to the silver once it is cleared.

Spotting/blending of metallic is difficult as you have to get the ANGLE of the metallic to match how it was originally laid at the factory. I would assume your entire fender would be reshot in silver then cleared in consideration of time, cost, and most importantly expertise of the painter. If the defect is on the horizontal surface of the fender only, it would be much easier to blend the silver basecoat with the vertical walls of the fender and thus the entire area wouldn't have to be shot again with silver. The clear could then be blended in over that. I would then hope that it would match the rest of the truck.

Good luck!
Jeff

Last edited by ggoat!!!; 03-16-2008 at 08:25 PM.
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.