• 1 Post By Mike in AZ
  • 2 Post By river_rat
  • 1 Post By Dragon2U

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Speedo Cluster Setup

Just rebuilt the cluster for bad stepper motors.
Is there a initial set up for needle placement in relation to the motors shaft position. The motors rotate 360 with a hard stop. Do you rotate the shaft fully clockwise, or counter clockwise etc then place the needles???
I Figure there has to be a basic starting orientation
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
I know this doesnt help, but.......

The hard stop of the stepper motors is identical between the old ones and the new ones. Therefore I do a little "advance" work before removing the pointers.

Before I change stepper motors, I move the needles to the full CCW position, place a piece of blue painters tape on the face of the cluster and mark the position with a sharpie. This allows me to pop the needles off, change the stepper motors and then put the needles back on.... knowing that the full CCW position of each needle will be at the same position as before.

I know my procedure is too late to help you, but I think Dick (Dicktator) or Mike (Dragon2U) may be able to guide you into a repositioning that gets you back on track.

All my best,

Mike
BlastfromPast likes this.

Trust and Generosity are contagious.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Mike as Im sure you have done several, In the CCW position, what "Time" are the needles.
Im sure there for the most part the same

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
I always marked the hard stop counterclockwise with painters tape before I removed the needles. I would adjust new steppers to same counterclockwise hard stop marking. I would then install cluster without face plate, connect scan tool and adjust as required. If you already removed needles without marking you could use scan tool method. Dragon 2U or River Rat have done a lot of these hopefully one of them might know an approx hard stop setting if you do not have access to a scan tool.
Sorry this might not be what you want hear!

EDIT

Just saw mikes post after I finished typing this.
I'm a little slow typing with my phone
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyques View Post
Mike as Im sure you have done several, In the CCW position, what "Time" are the needles.
Im sure there for the most part the same
The CCW stop is typically about 5-10 degrees below the minimum mark on the gauge. Tach is usually about -200rpm, speed is usually about -3-4mph and so on. There is no mark or exact position that I can share........ just a general "feeling" of the position. When the computer does a self test, it swings full CW and then full CCW before reading the actual indication. You will notice that the needles will always go below zero................ and above max. This is validating their "self test"....

Mike
mikebike likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
I think a small tip like marking the pointers in full CCW position, should NOT be overlooked in the one drive Cluster removal section. Now it only says remove cover, remove needles. I never thought ...and I should have... about marking their locations. I was just following along so I could get to the board to swap the steppers.
Guess more work, now Ill have to get a scan tool.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
So Im guessing with the scan tool, I let it tell me the KPA, Temp, and try to place the needles accordingly. Same with RPM. Fill the tank to set fuel. and set speedo against a GPS.
Correct?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
Jon

I have a spare Canuck cluster. Let me dig it out and I'll take a pic of the needles at their full CCW stops and post it to get you close. Give me a few minutes.
autoprof and mikebike like this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
I think a small tip like marking the pointers in full CCW position, should NOT be overlooked in the one drive Cluster removal section. Now it only says remove cover, remove needles. I never thought ...and I should have... about marking their locations. I was just following along so I could get to the board to swap the steppers.
Guess more work, now Ill have to get a scan tool.
I would like to see the One Drive procedure modified too. I think Dick will be adding that info. If he needs me to, I have a speedo here that I can put tape on and get a photo for him to reference. Dick is just as detail oriented as the rest of us and I'm sure he will be all over this.

Quote:
So Im guessing with the scan tool, I let it tell me the KPA, Temp, and try to place the needles accordingly. Same with RPM. Fill the tank to set fuel. and set speedo against a GPS.
Correct?
For calibrations, I would use a mid-scale reading..... not low points (like 0 speed) or max points (like full fuel)

I would use:
~2,000 rpm
65-70 MPH
~200 F coolant temp
1/2 tank of gas
~40 psi oil pressure

Good luck,

Mike
mikebike likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR)
Here are the pics of a Factory Set US Speedo Canadian (Canadien for the Québécois) cluster with the needles at their full CCW stops (use close up views and be directly over cluster). You must have the cluster unplugged to properly adjust, as the cluster is powered even in key off and will hold the needles off of their true stops. I start with my tape mark positions (or zero positions at Key On Engine Off after sweep) and then adjust/calibrate from there. I usually find some adjustment to be necessary to get more accurate operating values and viewing angle in truck. The 05-06 have more data available on the OBD DLC than the 03-04. A Tech2 or MDI lets you see a few more cluster values. I leave the cluster as shown in the pics below (no lens) for calibrating with the needles on just far enough to hold adequately on the stepper motor shafts but still allow easy adjusting. Plug the cluster in just far enough to make good electrical contact, but not all the way that the connector clips engage, as you will be plugging and unplugging several times. I use an independent GPS receiver that has low latency and quick refresh rate (NOT smart phone but just about any decent Garmin/Magellan will do) for speed at about 65-70 MPH and initially calibrate Tach at 2000-2500 RPM. Let truck warm up for setting temp to OBD value. I usually take truck for a run, set cruise control and call out the cluster values to passenger. I have passenger note the OBD and GPS differences from the cluster readings. I pull off to nearby parking lot, unplug cluster, tweak the needles and go for another run until I get the cluster as accurate as I can at speed. Unplug cluster again, then I press the needles on further once calibrated, but not down so far that they rub gauge faceplate. While still unplugged, check that the needles move freely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4271_sml.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	413850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4273_sml.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	413858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4272_sml.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	413866  
mikebike and Jonnyques like this.

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Thankyou!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
Garage
Yowsa, I have never looked at the guide here so I was not aware of that missing step, but it is a very important one. Yes, tape and counterclockwise light pressure is used to "0" the gauge to it's resting state before removal and that point is used during reassembly as well.

I know that all gauges I have done have different 0 points but if you have a micrometer I can send you some measurements from some of the ones I have done to get you close. Best bet is to borrow a scan gauge that reads the data so you can adjust it properly and maybe a GPS for the speedo adjustments.

River rats guide above will get you real close as well. With it out of cal, sadly, the only way to bring it back is with a lot of small adjustments and trial and error. I would put tape and mark on the suspected 0 areas where the needles are now according to his layout above. Then, when you drive the car or run a scan tool on it and see that it is 1/8 or so off you have a point of reference to use, might make it easier to visualize the change needed. Then maybe mark the new 0 area and check the readings again, etc.....
Jonnyques likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Ill play with this another day. The step about unplugging the cluster for each adjustment is gold! I never would have known to do that.

In case anyone else read this thread and decides to do it, a few other notes.
Its very simple to do if you are comfortable with soldering and desoldering. If you don't have or know what a solder sucker is...You might want to pass.
When removing the dash. The instructions just show screws to the right if the steering wheel and point out upper and lower tabs. There is one more screw on the drivers side not mentioned. The upper tab is held captive by the lower tab, as in they overlap. The one screw holds both tabs.
Don't try to separate the dash on the drivers side without removing this screw. The lower dash has to be pressed down to free the upper tab. The soap and water works great around the passenger airbag.
When separating the cluster ...gage part from the cluster itself. The first time i took it all apart as shown in the directions. The second time I just undid 5 clips that hold the 2 pieces together. No need to unscrew all the plastic pieces.
Hope that helps someone.
O ya MARK YOUR NEEDLES!!!! lol

Thanks Dick for your Guides....I refer to them every time I fix something! or screw it up lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.