Chevy SSR Forum banner

Sudden Tech Session

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Dicktator 
#1 ·
To all our members and hero's of the NorCal group
Here is the time line.
9:00 am , parked on the on the Prairie City ramp with Charlie and Dean/Beverly. Rolled the windows down and talked. the convoy to Apple Hill showed and we all fired up and joined them. The windows wouldn't roll up, it looked like rain and it was cold. We headed for home. Further testing showed no top up or down function and no remote open of the rear lid.
Searching on line for these failures pointed to a RDM failure. "Roof Door Module"
About 1:00 pm Charlie and Dennis showed up looking to help. We dove in (them mostly) and by 2:30 had the RDM out and Robert was on the way with a replacement.
By about 4:00 replacement was installed and it was fully working again. WOW! Talk about service.
A fun run that evolved into a Tech Session.
What a crew!!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
Jim, I should have looked here first. I answered your PM question with RDM.

Should be called Roof Door WINDOW Module. All the functions you described are controlled by RDM.

For those interested, go to Tech Discussion/SSR How To Library, here is the link:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!105

Look up Roof Door Module Change.

Jim, That is a great crew you have there.

Need to find reputable shop to repair RDM.

Dicktator

#6 ·
R D W R Module

Roof Door Window Remote Module.

We can add another symptom to the list as the remote rear lid function also was disabled. The glove box button worked but not the remote.

We also learned that the manual release cables behind the seats sort of work. I managed to pull them out of their mounts by pulling down, The correct way is at a slight upward angle.

WARNING! What the cable does is compress a ram, get a metal bar like your top tool (it has a groove in it for this purpose) and with both hands pull hard and steady. It will move as Dennis demonstrated for us.

I wasn't bright enough to do as above. You can get into the top compartment with a 10mm wrench by reaching into the compartment behind each seat and removing 2 bolts. Next time you have the compartment open take a good look.
:smash

#8 · (Edited)
ONE Green labeled Cable, ONE Red labeled Cable. Each side, Driver Side and Passengers side. Pull RED Cable on each side to release roof cover latch.

RED is to open, release latch. It is latched with a hydraulic cylinder and YOU have to "pull" hard enough to make cylinder "retract". PULL steady, don't "jerk" cable.

I use a long bar, like "breaker bar", slide down thru loop, use lower part of slopped floor for leverage, pull on top part of bar. Gives you more leverage and better control.

Bed Release with FOB part of RDM.

See Tech Discussions/SSR How To Library

Here is Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!105

Look up Roof Cylinder Removal.

Dicktator

#9 ·
Hi Dictator. Just wanted to drop a line & let you know that ever since you changed out the ignition switch my radio turns off when I open the door.............was that suppose to happen? It must just be your magic. Hope we get to treat you to lunch one day.
I think the cooling fan is next on our list to keep Sunshine from getting too hot.
Stay warm my friend, Vivien

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.