Chevy SSR Forum banner

Top and windows inop?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Chucky 
#1 ·
Today member Darryl had a windows/top won't work. He did get the windows down by opening and closing the doors as they would index down but not up. 10 or cycles and they were down.
we prepared to replace the dreaded RDM, but first were checking fuses. While in the passenger fuse panel we swapped the top and pump breaker. Things worked again. Go figure?
From 2009 "Sounds like what happened to us in a parking lot in Sacramento last August when we were on our way to L.A. It was a breaker. There are two of them in the interior fuse box. The one that operates the roof and windows somehow got "blown" so we switched it with the other breaker (roof pump) and went on our way . When we tried everything again the following morning at Donut Derelicts all was working correctly again, the breaker had rested and "unbroke" itself. "

Good to know....

#3 ·
Maybe a bit of corrosion that was dislodged from the pens when the breaker was pulled.

Jack
Right Jack! I had a corrosion problem on my relay for the roof.

Have two, one RDM and one Roof Pump, interchangeable if you want to test them.

RDM- Roof Door Module should be called RDWM- Roof Door WINDOW Module.

Controls windows indexing, up/down and your A/C, yes A/C. If you start blowing warm air, RDM.

Example, windows won't go UP/DOWN from switch on console, try using ROOF UP/DOWN switch to make windows work.

Dicktator

1. Fuse Box behind Passengers Seat. Upper left of fuse box, one Relay RDM one Relay Roof Pump, 30amp. Silver in 03/04.
2. Locations on fuse box cover.

Attachments

#4 ·
I was involved in trying to resolve this one yesterday.

The roof would not move at all nor would the windows move in response to the buttons on the center console. We then tried pushing the roof button (roof appeared to be fully up) and I wanted to see if the windows would react the the final "roof up" sequence where the windows would be rolled up by pressing and holding the roof button. They didn't move. We then tested the roof button by not applying the brake pedal and then pressing the roof button to see if we could provoke a DIC error stating would must apply the brake. Nothing...

We first pulled the "RMD 2" fuse in position 28 and checked it for continuity with a multi-meter. It was "good". We then found a similar amp fuse in position 40 "TBC 4" and we checked it as well and then swapped them. Still no success.

We then pulled and examined the 30A breakers in position 1 "Roof-Door Mod" and 2 "Roof Pump". No signs of burning or any abnormalities. We swapped the two breakers. This time the windows and roof worked.

#6 ·
Hard shutdown

It looks like the 30 amp breakers need a hard shutdown once in a while. I wonder if we have progressed to the "whack it with a screwdriver" to keep it going mentality. ( remember the old carb trick to unstick a float ):bwekk:

#8 ·
Hey Dick

, c
Right Jack! I had a corrosion problem on my relay for the roof.

Have two, one RDM and one Roof Pump, interchangeable if you want to test them.

RDM- Roof Door Module should be called RDWM- Roof Door WINDOW Module.

Controls windows indexing, up/down and your A/C, yes A/C. If you start blowing warm air, RDM.

Example, windows won't go UP/DOWN from switch on console, try using ROOF UP/DOWN switch to make windows work.

Dicktator

1. Fuse Box behind Passengers Seat. Upper left of fuse box, one Relay RDM one Relay Roof Pump, 30amp. Silver in 03/04.
2. Locations on fuse box cover.
Hey Mr. Tator, is there any way to check the 30 amp breakers using a volt meter. What if both have gone bad. Everything but the windows and the roof work. But they did work for a day or two then nothing.( radio,defroster,a/c,radio,traction control, rear storage are lock are all ok)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.