Chevy SSR Forum banner

Winter Storage

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  xoxoxoBruce 
#1 ·
If given a choice should I store the SSR with the top up or the top down?

#2 ·
I'm certainly no expert but I have seen more than one restoration show where open older cars or convertibles had insects, mice or other rodents get in the cars, make nests and chew on wires or whatever else strikes their fancy.
I would personally rather deal with getting rid of musty smells than trying to figure out if any possible damage has been done while in storage.
Just my thoughts.

Dave

#5 ·
I can only tell you what has worked for me. When I store a vehicle for some time. I roll all windows up. Put Bounce dryer sheets in cab and trunk.
I place moth balls all around the vehicle to keep out bugs and varments.

So far I have had no trouble.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Store mine with the top up.Put Bounce sheets in the cab.Battery tender connected in the back under the lid.Over inflate the tires to 40 lbs. Add sta-bil to a full tank of gas.Cover it in the garage from Jan. to the begining of May.Starts right up. Never had any problems.Been doing that for the last 6 years.

#13 ·
Wish I could take my "summer" vehicles out for short drive every month during the winter but they use salt on the roads here and best not drive them till after the first couple of rains in the spring....washes all the road salt away..........one of the "pleasures" of living in Michigan..........LOL

#9 ·
Added question

Here's an added question...Mark has his wood- working shop in our basement, just off the garage where I keep my baby...I mean my SSR (lol)...Even when covered she gets just covered in saw dust, and he has all kinds of ventilation and fan systems set up...with an almost brand-new paint job, should I cover her for the winter, and risk scratches when I uncover her next spring, or leave her uncovered??:xThx ya'll...Crafty

#11 ·
A vehicle storage bag will fix that problem...........

Here's an added question...Mark has his wood- working shop in our basement, just off the garage where I keep my baby...I mean my SSR (lol)...Even when covered she gets just covered in saw dust, and he has all kinds of ventilation and fan systems set up...with an almost brand-new paint job, should I cover her for the winter, and risk scratches when I uncover her next spring, or leave her uncovered??:xThx ya'll...Crafty

#14 ·
:black: I fill the tank with non ethanol gas and add sta-bil fuel stabilizer, wash it doing the wheels inside and out to get all the brake dust off than clay-bar the paint and a fresh coat of wax. Clean the interior and treat the leather with a good leather conditioner. I store it with the top and windows up and covered with a OEM cotton cover. Plug in the battery maintainer and forget it till Spring. I have been doing this for 12 years with no problems !!!!!!
Did I mention my poor baby stays in a heated air conditioned garage !!!!!!! :whistling:

#15 ·
I have stored my Lotus for last 2 years with Sta bil 360 and battery tender coat of wax and cover . When salt goes down on road here in NJ usually end of November if we get ice on roads
I stop driving and until we get heavy rains to wash away salt in spring. I usually go out in garage and start and move car few times a month during winter time.
Will do same thing with SSR and Slingshot.
Use wifes Subaru car for everyday driving with 4 wheel drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.