Chevy SSR Forum banner

PRAY FOR OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS IN McMURRAY AB FIRE

3K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  ttarob 
#1 · (Edited)
PRAY FOR OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS IN FORT McMURRAY AB FIRE

To those of you who have friends and relatives in Fort McMurray, we send our thoughts and prayers to you for their safety. So sad for all these people to have their entire town burning from a wildfire. Wish we could help. I cannot imagine having this sort of tragedy wipe my own town out.

Sincerely
NWSSRs

#2 ·
This is horrific for sure.
This fire currently covers approximately 10000 hectares (the equivalent of about 6 miles by 7 miles)
And it is just not this area in Northern AB. My cousin has lost her home to wildfire, and she lives about 400 miles west in the Peace River area.

#12 ·
Ft McMurray is closer to the east AB border (bordering SK) and Peace River closer to the BC border - as earlier mentioned - about 400 miles between them.
However, Northern BC has many wildfire issues of our own with one of major concern which is heading towards the Peace River area.
Although BC has too much going on to assist AB with theirs, our firefighters will follow the one into AB if it gets that far.

B.C. battling double the number of wildfires seen last year at this time - British Columbia - CBC News

The numbers are awful - and we are only in the beginning of May!
Locally, (Interior BC) we have had many more lightning/thunder storms than the norm this year.

#20 ·
Could we figure a way for SSRFANTASTICS to donate ??

As many of our SSR FAMILY have been enjoying the Rallies and Fun of events together through the years, sometimes it doubles the reward by having a charity event included. Does anyone know how this might be added (maybe even Penticton) so we can create funds (or ?) for this tragedy to help in some way or another !! It's just an idea from one, who like many of you, feel very helpless seeing the devastation.

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Sue

#23 ·
Friday's Seattle Times photo sickening to see the disaster

Luckily we can view BBC and get Canadian news. The BBC stories last night were horrific, numerous videos of the flames and devastation shocking and very sad. Some of our Canadian SSR Family are keeping the news in their posts, namely CASH and those from Alberta area. The news reported that because of the dryness, there are more than 2 times more wildfires in the area now, than at this time last year. Canadians are bracing for a bad season of fires. A real tragedy for all families, and the Fire Fighters as well.

Sue

#25 ·
To those of you who have friends and relatives in Fort McMurray, we send our thoughts and prayers to you for their safety. So sad for all these people to have their entire town burning from a wildfire. Wish we could help. I cannot imagine having this sort of tragedy wipe my own town out.

Sincerely
NWSSRs
Always thought it would be nice to live in the piney woods? After seeing that whole town burn down I have changed my mind. How does one recover from something like this?

B.M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.