User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy SSR Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

SsrFanatic.com is the premier Chevrolet SSR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline, 456 Gears, Street tune, Flowmaster 50, Eibachs, and lots of Mike in AZ's goodies.
View shakemyhand's Photo Gallery
Want to say NO to cable TV

I presently have a local cable company supplying my TV, Internet, and Phone. I want to get away from them and try to save myself some money. I have heard that there are things out there such as: Indoor antennas one that I have been reading about is called The Leaf Plus. There are suppose to be ways to hook up your TV, Laptop, and Wii along with The Leaf Plus. If you do this you can use Netflix, Playon.tv, and Hulu and be able to get all kinds of TV programs along with all the latest movies for alot less than the Cable companys are charging. Doe's anyone out there have any experience with any of this stuff? I need someone who understands all the technology who will lead me in the right direction and to help me figure out what I need to buy and how it all goes together.
shakemyhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

My SSR:
View SSRJIM's Photo Gallery
We cut the pay TV years ago. It is really just a matter do going old school, if you live in an area that has broadcast signals any old antenna will work. You get the important stuff, abc, NBC, CBS, PBS...

You will need an Internet connection if you want to get the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Road Rocket Pilot
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 UV, BOD 2-18-04, SN 5550, lots of polished billet, Superchips, K&N - Previous 03 and 05 owner
View Dragon2U's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakemyhand View Post
I have heard that there are things out there such as: Indoor antennas one that I have been reading about is called The Leaf Plus. There are suppose to be ways to hook up your TV, Laptop, and Wii along with The Leaf Plus. If you do this you can use Netflix, Playon.tv, and Hulu and be able to get all kinds of TV programs along with all the latest movies for alot less than the Cable companys are charging.
The Leaf Plus is a simple indoor HDTV antenna and will ONLY get local broadcast channels. You will NOT get Netflix, Hulu or any other internet service unless you hook up your TV or computer to an internet connection and have it stream to your TV. I have a laptop connected to my TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse that I can use to stream internet to my TV but I still use cable. I am really really close to cutting the cord as you are but there are a few things I will miss if I go strictly local channels even with the streaming internet connection.

Last year when all the local TV stations were required to broadcast in HD they were giving equipment like this away. Don't spend a ton of money on an antenna, most of the powered HDTV antennas are very similar but all of them will only get local channels.

Good luck!
Dragon2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline, 456 Gears, Street tune, Flowmaster 50, Eibachs, and lots of Mike in AZ's goodies.
What would happen if I dropped the cable tv and kept my high speed internet through the cable company? Would I be able to get channels through Playon.tv? And have you heard of a Roku Box?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

My SSR:
FORMER OWNER 2005 RICOCHET SILVER 6SP
View RSSRTOY's Photo Gallery
Had the hd inside antenna and a digital box to change the antenna signal to digital only got 8 channels 6 were in spanish. They were local only and they changed power signal all the time as it would work fine for a couple hours then fade in and out. Got fed up with it and threw it across the the room. I have dish now and only pay 30 bucks and i get what i want. Going to get internet seprately havent got the price on that yet but it tied with my cell phone.
RSSRTOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet #11012 born on 04 June 2004
View artsmart's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
The Leaf Plus is a simple indoor HDTV antenna and will ONLY get local broadcast channels. You will NOT get Netflix, Hulu or any other internet service unless you hook up your TV or computer to an internet connection and have it stream to your TV. I have a laptop connected to my TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse that I can use to stream internet to my TV but I still use cable. I am really really close to cutting the cord as you are but there are a few things I will miss if I go strictly local channels even with the streaming internet connection.

Last year when all the local TV stations were required to broadcast in HD they were giving equipment like this away. Don't spend a ton of money on an antenna, most of the powered HDTV antennas are very similar but all of them will only get local channels.

Good luck!
My son cut the cable many years ago when high def first hit the airwaves. Since he lived in Los Angeles, where the stations were located, he got all the local channels without an antenna. An HDTV antenna is only going to work depending on your location and the terrain surrounding your area...but its not going to provide internet and/or phone service.

I have gone 90% unplugged in that I no longer have a landline and dropped my internet connection from the big conglomerate and use a smaller, more personal provider - even though they use the same lines, its cheaper, faster, and never gets bogged down...how? I don't know.

Keep internet, attach an old laptop, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Roku, or other streaming device to your television. Depending on what you use you can either stream programs from the networks 24 hours after they've aired, purchase them from iTunes, or wait until they are on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. Be aware that not all streaming devices work on all available services...i.e. Apple TV does not support Amazon Prime, which is why I prefer the Mac Mini. My hubby's new home theatre system w/Blu Ray streams everything except iTunes.

Keep in mind that if you like to watch football or other sports that there are no free internet sites that work well (that I have found) and the ones that do charge a fee to use their service...with that in mind, I have maintained my satellite connection (very basic) to satisfy hubby.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
View ssr71's Photo Gallery
All cable companies will jack up the cost of your internet service if you drop the cable service. Sucks, but it's true.

Years ago, I had Comcast internet - cost me $49/mo without the rest of the service, but if I was a subscriber, would have only been $29/mo. I have Dish Network, which I still think is far better than comcrap has ever been. Oh.. they call themselves Xfinity now. Away from xfinity.... and beyond!

But then I dumped comcrap for FIOS for my internet, but it's a business service as I'm hosting my domain, email, and web here at home. Can't do that with a residential service. So far, it's been fairly reliable. Until recently that is.

Then, until just a few weeks ago, I refused to have my phone service upgraded as having the hard line to the central office was a guaranteed lifeline. No power, no problem - phone always worked. Now it's tied to the FIOS box. No power... no phone. No 911! How's that legal? Anyway... the day after they do that hookup, my FIOS dies. I was out for 3 days and they had to replace the board in the outside box.

Wilbur Buds!!!!!
ssr71 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
VIN No. 24061
View TLC5 in CT's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSRTOY View Post
Had the hd inside antenna and a digital box to change the antenna signal to digital only got 8 channels 6 were in spanish. They were local only and they changed power signal all the time as it would work fine for a couple hours then fade in and out. Got fed up with it and threw it across the the room. I have dish now and only pay 30 bucks and i get what i want. Going to get internet seprately havent got the price on that yet but it tied with my cell phone.
Mark,
Is the 30 bucks an introductory/new customer rate or do you have a limited number of channels available? I currently have Cox cable and considered switching over to a DISH but discovered that the rates were very comparable once the introductory period expired.
TLC5 in CT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC5 in CT View Post
Mark,
Is the 30 bucks an introductory/new customer rate or do you have a limited number of channels available? I currently have Cox cable and considered switching over to a DISH but discovered that the rates were very comparable once the introductory period expired.
I pay about $50 per month but am a long-term customer who downgraded my programming...no introductory offer. That being said, I have no issues w/Dish and folks that have Cox or Charter in our area have major issues all the time. Can't tell you the last time our Dish went out as long as the power was on and we get some STRONG winds in the High Desert. Almost got sucked into the bundle with Verizon and Direct TV until I decided to cut the cord with Verizon...haven't looked back
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsmart View Post
My son cut the cable many years ago when high def first hit the airwaves. Since he lived in Los Angeles, where the stations were located, he got all the local channels without an antenna. An HDTV antenna is only going to work depending on your location and the terrain surrounding your area...but its not going to provide internet and/or phone service.

I have gone 90% unplugged in that I no longer have a landline and dropped my internet connection from the big conglomerate and use a smaller, more personal provider - even though they use the same lines, its cheaper, faster, and never gets bogged down...how? I don't know.

Keep internet, attach an old laptop, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Roku, or other streaming device to your television. Depending on what you use you can either stream programs from the networks 24 hours after they've aired, purchase them from iTunes, or wait until they are on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. Be aware that not all streaming devices work on all available services...i.e. Apple TV does not support Amazon Prime, which is why I prefer the Mac Mini. My hubby's new home theatre system w/Blu Ray streams everything except iTunes.

Keep in mind that if you like to watch football or other sports that there are no free internet sites that work well (that I have found) and the ones that do charge a fee to use their service...with that in mind, I have maintained my satellite connection (very basic) to satisfy hubby.
Thank you so very much for this information, it has cleared up alot for me. When you say that you have maintained your satellite connection, would that be the samething as me keeping my Cable Company and using just their very basic cable channels?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Thank you so very much for this information, it has cleared up alot for me. When you say that you have maintained your satellite connection, would that be the samething as me keeping my Cable Company and using just their very basic cable channels?
Yes. Just check out their basic version to make sure it has everything you may want. Found I was paying way too much money for the limited amount of channels we actually watched and never, ever, pay for premium channels or movies...I can wait until it comes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsmart View Post
Yes. Just check out their basic version to make sure it has everything you may want. Found I was paying way too much money for the limited amount of channels we actually watched and never, ever, pay for premium channels or movies...I can wait until it comes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Thank You for the information, I know I've gotta do something these cable bills are rediculous.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Thank You for the information, I know I've gotta do something these cable bills are rediculous.
I agree and I would unplug totally if it weren't for football since I can get anything else via the internet.

One of the upsides to not having TV for my son is that his 4 year old does not know what a toy commercial is...there is none of that "I want that!" in their house
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr71 View Post
Then, until just a few weeks ago, I refused to have my phone service upgraded as having the hard line to the central office was a guaranteed lifeline. No power, no problem - phone always worked. Now it's tied to the FIOS box. No power... no phone. No 911! How's that legal? Anyway... the day after they do that hookup, my FIOS dies. I was out for 3 days and they had to replace the board in the outside box.
My FIOS box has a backup power supply. Don't know how long it would hold up.
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
What is a FIOS box?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
What is a FIOS box?
FIOS is Verizon's fiber optics that replaces their original lines. Not available in all areas but can be bundled with TV, phone, internet.

Its not available in my area but some friends have it and they either love it or hate it. Pretty pricey, I think, after initial introductory offer.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Deputy Dawg

My SSR:
2004 Custom Two Tone
View RUN ROD RUN's Photo Gallery
Quote:
What is a FIOS box?
I have no idea .... it out in the garage wall and that where these new optic cable are connected too. (Fiber optic cable replaces the old phone wires)
Too pricey.
RUN ROD RUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
View ssr71's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN ROD RUN View Post
So does mine... but that little battery lasts only 4 to 5 hours. How does that help if you're without power for days? (like I was back in July - or if I happened to be in NY or NJ now)

Quote:
What is a FIOS box?
The official term for it is ONT (Optical Network Termination).

Wilbur Buds!!!!!
ssr71 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Black 03, Vin#0168, License Plate-"DRMRIDE". SSR Diecast & Memorabilia Collector
View Scott 0168's Photo Gallery
Does the internet work because of our Satelites?

Scott 0168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.