Chevy SSR Forum banner

Tire Time

4K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  xoxoxoBruce 
#1 · (Edited)
Ordered 4 new Continental tires today. All 4 tires DOT 1104, been living on borrowed time for a while. :deal:

#5 ·
275-40-19 (27.7" tall x 10.8" wide) :yellow: 315-35-20 (28.6" tall x 12.4" wide):yellow: I got a 17 page email with tire specs from my service guy. My service guy, the Continental service guy, and SSR forum believe that the are the closest to OEM and still keeping the same sidewall front to back matching.

4 tires, road force wheel balance, new valves, discard tires, tax and four wheel alignment with alignment specs from SSR Forum $1357.36 out the door. Getting them Tuesday.

#6 ·
Pay attention to the details.....

When you buy tires for the SSR, please pay attention to the tire load rating.

Front tires need to be rated "100"

Rear tires need to be rated "106"

There are a lot of tires that will fit the 19 and 20" wheels that are not rated for the weight of the SSR and the load capacity of the 6,050 GVW. A less scrupulous seller may offer lighter duty tires without caring. Most dealers will compare the OEM load ratings with their offerings and not sell you an inferior tire.

Regards,

Mike

#8 ·
When you buy tires for the SSR, please pay attention to the tire load rating.

Front tires need to be rated "100"

Rear tires need to be rated "106"

There are a lot of tires that will fit the 19 and 20" wheels that are not rated for the weight of the SSR and the load capacity of the 6,050 GVW. A less scrupulous seller may offer lighter duty tires without caring. Most dealers will compare the OEM load ratings with their offerings and not sell you an inferior tire.

Regards,

Mike

Need to watch the speed rating also if you drive fast.

#7 · (Edited)
I just bought tires from TireBuyer.

FALKEN - Ziex ZE950 A/S
High Performance All Season
Size: 255/50R19 Extra Load
Load Index: 107 Speed Rating: V
and
FALKEN - Ziex S/TZ05
Truck SUV All Season
Size: 295/45R20 Extra Load
Load Index: 114 Speed Rating: H

Delivered to the installer shop was $693.32. The installation price was $87 which included new valves and balancing, for a total of $780.32.
After reading a a few threads, I bought the 50 for the front and the 45 for the rear. What a difference in the ride! It when from a Corvette hard ride to a passenger car soft ride. The R floats over the railroad tracks. I am shocked at the difference and so glad I made the choice.

#10 ·
Just Wednesday a new set of fronts. Toyo Proxes ST II Sport Truck tires- All Season. Fronts are 255/50R/19. The rears are ST II 295/45/R20's. Great ride.
The front are a little taller and wider. But no rubbing.

#12 ·
Cheapo Nexens all around, I've never regretted buying them. They wear like iron (a little harsh ride) good weather traction, and don't look too bad. They remind me of the old Cooper GT (tire purists didn't like them either) I have over 45k on them and they have a long way to go.

#15 ·
Oldtimer, I typically run 35+ all around. I've always felt the jam pressures on nearly all cars was too low (WAY smarter than me engineers came up with them but oh well). I'm not a tire pro but have been told the rear center wear is from UNDER inflation on wide tires like ours because the center face of the tread tends to sling out? Anyway, low pressure is only good for better ride and wearing out sooner.

#16 ·
I would be pissed and flattered at the same time. Angry that they drove it somewhere and did the shoot without asking permission and (possibly) flattered that they thought enough of my truck to include it in their calendar. My next thought might be if the dealership was profiting through the sale of the calendar or was it a non profit fundraising activity benefiting a worthwhile cause.

Dave

#24 ·
I'm running 255-50-19 General Grabber UHPs (just got them!) on the front and don't see any issues with clearance.

255-45-19 (stock size) is 28.04" tall, 255-50-19 ia 29.04" tall so there's only an additional 1/2 inch "fill" between tire and wheel well. Visually I like the "fuller" look in the wheel well opening.

Bruce, do you have lowering springs? My springs are stock.

BTW, I'm running 295-50-20's on the rear and love the look. The tire is a bit wider than stock, might be the slightly taller sidewall that is allowing a bit more "bulge". Stock rear height is 30.45", new tire height is 31.61".

#25 ·
Nope, stock height. Continental Extreme Contact/DWS/W 255-50 ZR19X.
Yes, fills the wheel well nicely, but when I turn the wheel it comes very close to the liner and if I hit a bump at the same time it will sometimes rub the dust off the liner. Not a problem, but a bigger tire or lowering is out of the question.
Of course these trucks are not identical, manufacturing tolerances add up to variability, so your mileage may vary. ;)
The other thing is I'm running 4.75 caster.

#27 ·
:jesterJust got the truck back. Now it has Nitto420S all around, with a 255/45/20 front and a 305/40/22 in the rear.Tire height is 1.5 inches front to rear with a 29.5 front height. The wheel wells are now full, and have just enough clearance. No adverse effect on the ABS system. Only problem is going 110 when indicating 100! I can live with that.:glol:glol:glol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.