Chevy SSR Forum banner

Custom polished LED cargo net bar

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Dragon2U 
#1 ·
My latest :eek:_75: effort playing around with different ideas for the R. Probably should have kept the polished windscreen I made awhile ago, I need to make another one, but this project is along the same idea except for the cargo net bar.

Stripped, sanded, polished the aluminum cargo bar to a chrome like finish. Then formed some clear plastic to fit where the black rubber goes, and finally installed some LED lighting for a little bling.

Yeah, I know, too much time on my hands. It's a sickness :D Hmmmmm, whats next ....

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mike, I salute your innovative thinking. It looks fantastic. :thumbs

You have come up with some great additions to our unique trucks and this is just the latest example. Who would've even thought of customizing the cargo-bar?!?! :confused

Will you be offering this "transformation" for those of us who have the "plain old" OE bars? ;)

Keep up the great work. :amen:

#13 ·
Mike,
How do you have the bar's lights rigged to come on? When the cover goes up or on demand remotely or what? Just curious. :confused
=========
David :black:
David,
I currently have all the added lights in the trunk area wired to a plug I use in the lighter plug outlet for the tire pump. I plug in when I want to use them and hidden when not in use. But, the wiring could easily be connected to the existing trunk light timed power line or to a switched lighter plug ($5) or wireless remote ($20). Thought about all those options mentioned and might change in the near future.

Thanks for all the compliments!

#16 ·
Forgot I still have a few pieces of hand curved plastic and some blue LEDs if anyone wants to do this mod on their truck.

Price is $30 for the curved plastic. I go through quite a bit of plastic to make one properly curved and sized, wish I could figure out what to do what those pieces, but they end up in the trash.

I also have some blue LED light strings I will throw in enough length to run the cargo bar for free for as long as it lasts. These are not weatherproof like I normally get but should work well for this application.

This is not a plug and play mod, you would need to -
1. Solder on or get a connector to run 2 wires off the LED strip
2. Drill a small hole to run the wire trough the end of one of the plastic end mounts
3. Connect the wires to a power source
4. Install the plastic cover with clear RTV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.