Chevy SSR Forum banner

Mike's Aux fan kit

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Mike in AZ 
#1 ·
Anyone ever put one of these on? Here in Texas, I think it would be cheap insurance. But what I want to know....how long did it take you to put it in? Any tricks or heads up would be appreciate before I take it on....

#3 ·
I'll second that!!!! Well, maybe 15 minutes. The main fan is easier!

#5 ·
The responses so far must be referring to the Direct Replacement Main Fan...... It's a quick install that only takes a few minutes.

The Auxiliary Fan Kit takes between one and three hours to install. It depends on how much cleaning and other stuff you get sidetracked on during the install. It's not difficult and does NOT require splicing wires or drilling holes.. The 18-19 pages of instructions are filled with photos to guide you on each step. If you want a copy to peruse, just send an email to me at mike@simple-engineering.com. I'll forward a set as an attachment.

My phone number is provided in the instructions. I don't mind calls for support as you do the install.

Regards,

Mike

#6 ·
Just install one as a preventative measure in my 2006. A much higher quality main fan than the OEM. It was easier than I expected with the clear instructions that that came with unit. Only took approx. 20 minutes including reading instruction. My next installation will take half that time now with the experience of doing one. I would suggest you go for it, it is a piece of cake!!!

:blue:

#10 · (Edited)
Aux Fan Installation

I've had one of these pusher fans installed for six years now and it's still going strong. Removal of the front fascia is not required but facilitates installation access and that is basically a bolt-off/ bolt-on procedure. Mike's instructions will guide you through the process without requiring fascia removal. There's nothing intimidating about installing one of these aux. fans with the directions provided.

If you remove the fascia you might want to consider installing one of Mike's transmission coolers at the same time!

#11 ·
I put Mike's Aux Fan on my 05 several years ago. His instructions are clear and concise and it took me less than two hours to install.

The thing I like most the aux fan is that when you park your R and the temp under the hood climbs to 210 degrees the aux fan comes on and pushes the heat out.

Just my two cents,
Wally

#12 ·
Aux fab

The replacement fan took about 20 minutes. The AUX fan takes a little longer. It is not hard, but I wanted to make sure the adjustable switch etc. looked good. I would budget a morning for the first one as you will need to do some mounting. After you have done one it would take shorter because of knowing how everything works.

I like mine. Stayed put when I hit a deer as did the hood emblem support.

I recommend it. I still open the hood when I drive it in the garage.

Dave

#14 ·
I have had Mike's aux fan for over 10 years. It was the first modification I did to my truck. And, it's ALWAYS on when I drive; I use my truck to tow a travel trailer and all three of my fans (dual Spal main fans and Mike's aux fan) are always on full-speed every single time I drive via an over-ride switch. I also keep the thermostat on Mike's aux fan turned all the way down so the fan runs nearly all the time when driving for a day on a road-trip regarding stopping for gas, stopping to eat, etc. It does a GREAT job ridding excess heat out of the engine compartment. Even after sitting for about 10 minutes pumping gas and checking out the trailer, when I start the truck again after sitting with the aux fan running the temperature drops several dozen degrees instantly due to the cooled stagnant water in the radiator suddenly being fed through the engine. That little fan REALLY works.

But...the point is that I REALLY give a workout to Mike's little aux fan. I don't care if I'm driving 70mph...that fan is on. And it has NEVER failed. That's called extreme duty!

I wouldn't drive my truck without it.

#16 ·
Second truck

I put the Aux fan on my '04. Foolishly I did not remove it before selling it. I put another one on the '05 the first week I had it. Foolishly I did not put on the main fan replacement. I kept waiting for the OEM fan to fail so the extended warrant would pay for it. I think I had the only OEM fan to run 43,000 miles. When the extended warranty ran out I ordered the main fan from Mike. Good decision.

Jack

#17 ·
Mike's Fan

I dont remember the exact year, but it must be about 10 years ago that I put in Mike's fan. It is incredibly easy and the instructions are excellent. If you have a fan failure say some where like Las Vegas, your SSR will run for about 50 feet then shut down. I would say of all the upgrades and changes I have made to my 03:yellow: that fan is by far my favorite!

#18 ·
Don't get the two fans confused: Aux fan is time confusing whereas the direct replacement fan is fairly straightforward.
In terms of beer, the aux fan might be a six pack while the direct replacement might be 1/2 a bottle.
In terms of ice cream, the aux fan would be a couple of banana splits while the direct replacement would be a few licks of your friends cone.

Just my idiotic thoughts as folks seem to be getting the two fans confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.