Chevy SSR Forum banner

Mod: Outside handle on tailgate

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Warrior=='06 
#1 ·
I think it is a pain to open the trunk from inside, after opening the lid. So I've done a handle on the outside, so that it is easier to open. Volvo has good stuff too :blush-anim-cl:
//Lennart

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Lennart, somebody stuck some fog lights back there as well!
Good to here from you!
Not sure what good those puppies are though, just looking cute.
Looking at fog backwards I suppose!

#9 ·
Thank's for your comments. :smile2:
Warrior: I did the retro style tailgate myself.
RedlineRyder: Inside handle is not functional. I remowed it.
xoxoxoBruce: No, it does not lock. It was to difficult for me to make that.
Cash: The "foglights" are turn signal lamps. We need to have separate amber turn signal lamps in Sweden. In fact, in the whole EU.
//Lennart

#10 ·
xoxoxoBruce: No, it does not lock. It was to difficult for me to make that. //Lennart
Ah, I can see that would complicate matters, although from what I've seen it's hard for me to believe anything is too difficult for you. You've done a fantastic job building a beautiful and unique truck. :thumbs

I've been trying to think of a way for the remote to release the tailgate instead of opening the cargo lid, but that's still in the wishing stage. I have to have a locking tailgate when I'm hauling a load of dope, machine guns, or underage prostitutes. :lol

#13 ·
Where do you keep the overaged prostitutes?
They are :00000732: to my truck ! Sure they dont need a lock !
If they do, I can use a padlock :glol

To make a lock with the Volvo handle (I wanted the Volvo handle, I think it is nice, and fit the SSR well) is difficult, bcause the handle it self has no lock. Volvo have solved the lock problem with a separate lock beside the handle. And I did'nt want to have more things on the tail gate. And I could'nt find space for it. So I gave up the lock.
It is off course possible to find a handle with a lock on the handle, and that would solve the problem. Nissan truck's have it, for example.
A remote would be a great solution, of course.
//Lennart

#15 ·
I saw a thread here on the forum, where someone did that mod. It was a lot of photos, so it was just for me to follow the photos.
I have tried to find that thread, but without luck.
Perhaps someone on the forum can help to find that thread?

In short terms, I:
1. Purchased a new tailgate made for a 1947 - 1953 Chevy pickup truck.
2. I cut out the piece with the letters
3. Cuted out a hole in my ssr tailgate
4. Welded the 1947 - 1953 piece in that hole.

It is sad that I cant find the thread with photos, because it was very informative.
//Lennart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.